Getting braver

Scale710
Scale710 Posts: 8
edited August 2018 in MTB general
Wohoa.
I have been out to my local woodland trail this morning. To explore.
I'm beginning to feel that, a week after buying it - and 50 miles, the bike is now mine: rather than a bike I have just bought. I'm getting used to the mtb position as opposed to the position of a racing road bike.
Feeling much more comfortable on the bike now, and expect that in a months time I'll wonder how I managed without it for the last 60 years.

My fear with mtb's has always been launching off the lip of a drop, which loocks incredibly steep from the top, and going over the handlebars on the way down it.
So today I found some tree root formations on which to overcome my fear. Not massive - maybe 12-18" high; but enough to scare the pants off me.

I didn't fall off. I did wonder why I was so frightened. I did learn that getting my backside behind the saddle and over the rear wheel makes OTB's almost an impossibility.
However, I did also recognise that whilst confidence is great, overconfidence could be disastrous.
So I stopped at the most knarled and twisted roots 18" high.

But next time out I shall be looking for something more demanding.

Practiced Pumping and attempted some Manuals. (there was no-one looking)
Pleased with both attempts - but still a long way to go.

A good morning's progress.
Nino Shurter has nothing to worry about (just yet) but ............. :D:D

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    There is a good time and a place for arse over the rear wheel. But it is not a panacea. The downside is that if all your weight is over the rear wheel there is no weight over the front, so your steering can become troublesome. You should try to keep your weight in the middle of the bike, over the BB. That is what arse over the rear wheel does when it's really steep, but as I said, it can become the default solution for steep and techy stuff, when it shouldn't be.
  • Thanks Steve. That's useful info.
    And its fair to say that, due to my ineptitude, it is more likely that my backside was where you said it should be. It just felt to me as if it was well over the rear wheel.
    I understand your comment about the weight and control of the front wheel.

Much appreciated.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    I've been riding MTB for 25 years (24 of them on HT's) and still have the mental block about going OTB. It's perfectly normal and quite healthy!

Now I have transitioned to a FS bike, I do find it a bit easier, but positioning and technique are just as important. I'm slowly working out the mechanics of it all and `pushing the trolley` (or doing a manual) certainly helps me. I just struggle at full speed, when my brain can't/won't compute quick enough and I get scared. I am getting there and it is a real buzz to start hopping off stuff and still carry the speed.

There are some good videos around that help explain it all if you've not seen them already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDY6pBEqHE8

Have fun!
    "Ride, crash, replace"