How to change gear?!

Saskiab
Saskiab Posts: 3
edited August 2018 in Road beginners
Hi.

I bought a beginners road bike yesterday (Carrera Zelos) and am more used to riding a hybrid / mountain bike. I had to ride the bike home and it was fine riding wise, but I couldn't work out how to change gears. There is one switch on both handlebars, I tried to change either one and it clicked once and moved up but couldn't change again.

Please, any help would be grateful!

188924d?w=637&h=403

Comments

• big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    See those brake levers. Notice how they swing inward. Watch what happens to the front and rear derailleurs.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited August 2018
    The long brake levers push the chain into larger cogs as you push them inwards.
    The small thumb shifters where the cable comes out drops the chain into a smaller cog as you click them down.

Left had side does the front cogs, right hand side does the back. Don't change gear while stationary.

Go and find a long straight road free of traffic and play with them to see what does what. It takes a bit of getting used to but pretty soon it will feel like second nature.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFBvka0LisE

For the rear gears, pushing the whole right hand brake lever towards the middle shifts down (makes it easier), the little button on the inside shifts up (makes it harder).
    It's the opposite for the front derailleur (on the left).

You have to be turning the pedals to shift.
  • Saskiab
    Saskiab Posts: 3
    Thank you! That is very useful. I didn't realise the brake lever moved, I thought it was just the small thumb shifters! Was a bit confused.
    I am such a noob!
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Rather a poor job done by the shop you bought it from in not advising you on the bike and explaining this.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
    58585 Posts: 207
    Reminds me of the first time I tried on a pair of sidis in the lbs - tightened them down pretty good then realised I had no idea how to open them. They were a size too small and it took a good few minutes before the sales guy came back and helped me out of them.
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    Svetty wrote:
    Rather a poor job done by the shop you bought it from in not advising you on the bike and explaining this.

That would be a UK retailer, name begins with "H". But if you appear confident but don't ask....?
  • Swing the brake levers to change down ( easier gear ) click the button to change up ( harder gear).
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Swing the brake levers to change down ( easier gear ) click the button to change up ( harder gear).

Unless it's the front, which somebody explained upthread.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • easy mistake to make, if a funny one. Just image a bike where you can only change gears once!
  • easy mistake to make, if a funny one. Just image a bike where you can only change gears once!

Wait until you try SRAM double tap gears. Your mind will be blown.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Been there and done that but thankfully when having a shot of a friend's bike before buying. Prior to then my experience of a road bike was downtube shifter.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    easy mistake to make, if a funny one. Just image a bike where you can only change gears once!

Wait until you try SRAM double tap gears. Your mind will be blown.
    My son,aged 10,has just switched to SRAM double tap after having micro-shift on his two previous road bikes and he got it straight away!