Clement X'Plor USH/MSO Tyres

Blacktemplar
Blacktemplar Posts: 713
edited August 2018 in Commuting general
I recently bought a Cube Nuroad Pro Adventure/Gravel bike, which I intent to use as my daily commuter, with occasional gravel/forest track use. It came shod with the Clement X'Plor USH on the front, and the MSO (which has a different tread pattern, and is - I think - tubeless-ready) on the rear.

I've read various reviews which suggest these tyres are the perfect all-rounders for commuting, off road and 'adventure' riding, but I have to say their performance on urban roads has been less than confidence-inspiring so far. On local gravelly paths and broken tarmac they're fine, as is the case on normal dry smooth roads - where I'm having an issue is on virtually any semi-smooth wet surface.

To say the back end is squirrelly is a bit of an understatement. I've dropped it twice now in the wet, even when being a bit cautious and not leaning too much into corners. I think the issue is the tread blocks on the shoulders of the tyre, but whatever it is it feels really sketchy even if I'm being careful. My previous hybrid commuter ran on Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, which I appreciate are more 'road/commuting' orientated but never gave me any issues at all.

Has anyone else got experience of these tyres, and can offer any advice? I'm running them at a suitably low pressure (around 60psi), but would also be interested to hear if anyone runs them higher/lower, or has ended up swapping them for something different.

Cheers.
"Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
Mark Twain

Comments

• I recently bought a Cube Nuroad Pro Adventure/Gravel bike, which I intent to use as my daily commuter, with occasional gravel/forest track use. It came shod with the Clement X'Plor USH on the front, and the MSO (which has a different tread pattern, and is - I think - tubeless-ready) on the rear.

I've read various reviews which suggest these tyres are the perfect all-rounders for commuting, off road and 'adventure' riding, but I have to say their performance on urban roads has been less than confidence-inspiring so far. On local gravelly paths and broken tarmac they're fine, as is the case on normal dry smooth roads - where I'm having an issue is on virtually any semi-smooth wet surface.

To say the back end is squirrelly is a bit of an understatement. I've dropped it twice now in the wet, even when being a bit cautious and not leaning too much into corners. I think the issue is the tread blocks on the shoulders of the tyre, but whatever it is it feels really sketchy even if I'm being careful. My previous hybrid commuter ran on Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, which I appreciate are more 'road/commuting' orientated but never gave me any issues at all.

Has anyone else got experience of these tyres, and can offer any advice? I'm running them at a suitably low pressure (around 60psi), but would also be interested to hear if anyone runs them higher/lower, or has ended up swapping them for something different.

Cheers.

I’d assume it’s the running strip. Do get tyres you just don’t get on with have some x-ones bites I can’t abide! Bloody expensive mistake!