Orange Bike Frame Identification

hughwbarrie
hughwbarrie Posts: 5
edited August 2018 in MTB general
Hi,

I was given an Orange Bike frame a few days ago and have been racking my brains to try and identify it with very little success.

I can see originally it was a blue colour although has been quite nicely resprayed in black, I am sure someone here knows what it is. I'm not 100% as when I look at the newish orange models online it has similarities to most of them.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jhh7KRSe3gqz3GeP8

Virtual internet beers to anyone who can help.

Thank you in advance

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Some incarnation of the P7 frame ?
  • @cougie that was my thoughts as well, although I can't find anything that looks the same. You notice the curve on the left hand side of the frame that is different from the right hand side and the only p7 I can find that looks similar has a different seat tube?

Many thanks
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    An older Clockwork maybe?

I was thinking Crush or P7 but they have a disk brake brace thing on the NDS rear triangle.

Can you see a frame number on the BB shell? If so email it to Orange and they will be able to identify it for you.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • I cannot see a number on the bike would it be under the bottom bracket like on similar bikes?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Tapered so post circa 2014 for a hardtail, the Orange bike archive is fairly useful but the brace may well change shape with sizes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CitizenLee
    I cannot see a number on the bike would it be under the bottom bracket like on similar bikes?

Yeah, it should be. Might not be visible under the black paint though.

As The Rookie says, try their archive... (although tapered headtubes were on their bikes back as far as 2011)

https://www.orangebikes.co.uk/archive/

Good point about the brace too ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Will give that a go although even looking through the archive I cannot find anything that looks identical which is a little odd?

I wouldn't have thought it is fake but I guess you never know.
  • CitizenLee
    As The Rookie says, different frame sizes may account for slight variations in braces and tubing. An XL frame may have bracing that an M frame doesn't for example.

I doubt anyone would fake an Orange, but it could be another brand that's been re-stickered (still unlikely in this case I reckon).
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    I would imagine someone at Orange would probably know. May be worth sending them the pics.

It certainly doesn't look quite like any of the others, a bit of a mix really. Maybe an old test bike that never made it into full production?
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)