Which turbo trainer is best for me on Zwift?

Rich2086
Rich2086 Posts: 4
I know this has been answered on here probably a million times and iv done a search and watched videos but my head is totally spinning like my rear wheel on this now and could do with some advice.

A brief history
Last year as the nights where getting shorter I decided to bite the bullet and bought a secondhand Tacx Flow Turbo Trainer with the minimal knowledge I thought it was a good buy. When it arrived it wasnt exactly what I was expecting and probably older and less advanced than id expected. Anyway I set it all up bought an ANT+ usb and a speed/cadence sensor kit, downloaded zwift and it seemed to pick it all up but my rider never moved, I played around with it for hours but couldnt get it to work quite as i expected so threw it in the garage and gave up.

Now id like to revisit a Turbo trainer and zwift for winter when I wont be able to get out in the week. Im looking to spend around £200 with minimal fuss, something thats plug and play pretty much out the box without having to go out and buy sensors and other items, if this is possible with my limited budget. Iv got computers and monitors coming out my ears so dont need to buy those.

Thanks you
Richard

Comments

• dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    You should be able to pick up a 2nd hand Tacx vortex for £200.

You'll need the ANT+ USB or Bluetooth on your PC though. The flow is listed as compatible, so no idea why it never worked (unless it was a non smart version)

Might be worth looking here: https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/arti ... t-support-
  • Dannbodge wrote:
    You should be able to pick up a 2nd hand Tacx vortex for £200.

You'll need the ANT+ USB or Bluetooth on your PC though. The flow is listed as compatible, so no idea why it never worked (unless it was a non smart version)

Might be worth looking here: https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/arti ... t-support-

It was a really old version of the flow im guessing.

ad2695_img3_large.jpg

I'll have a look at the vortex as well so all id need is the ANT+ dongle and im good to go with that?
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Oh wow that is old.
    The new Tacx Flow (£200 from Halfords, £190 in Decathlon) works with Zwift but the Vortex is a better trainer.

Yep. ANT+ dongle for the PC, Zwift subscription and you're away.
    If you don't have a HRM, I'd also get one of those too. Oh and maybe a trainer specific tyre too.
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Tacx Flow T2240 from Halfords, I would buy new for the warranty.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube