Cervelo BBRight convert Shimano to GXP

pauly69
pauly69 Posts: 101
edited October 2018 in Workshop
So, most Cervelos are shipping with Shimano cranks now - including the S3 Ultegra I have on the way. Therefore they install a suitable bottom bracket for Shimano 24mm cranks - a BBB BBO-72 for 24mm cranks.

I want to strip the Shimano and go SRAM GXP instead - I'm guessing I'll need to remove this BB entirely and start again, with something like the wheelsmfg BBRight Outboard BB for 24/22mm cranks?

Is that the best option, or any known issues with the wheelsmfg BB, or better ones for similar money? I looked at bbinfinite but it's significantly more expensive and more of a PITA to fit, ignoring any potential longer term improvement!

Any advice gratefully received. I've built up other cervelos successfully but using BB30 so was able to use a simple SRAM PF30 BB - I need to use GXP on this new one ideally because I already have the crankset (Quarq dzero GXP).

Ta!

Comments

• Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    A wheels one would do the job nicely. They also have the added advantage that theyre very simple to install :)
  • pauly69
    Ordered the wheelsmfg one. Hopefully the BBB isn’t a PITA to remove.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    mf used a wheels converter on the S5 and it worked a treat.

#itstoobig
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Was there any closure to this?

I am facing similar situation as I want to put my dZero GXP cranks to 2018 S3 that I am about to get. Tried to search around some, but it is hard to find definitive answer. The Quarq customer support said that GXP crank will not fit (only BB30 will) but wheels mfg site for the bbright gxp bb says it fits with the newer dZeros, but not the older ones.
  • pauly69
    I've been tardy and haven't completed yet - but I fully expect it will work just fine. Not sure why Quarq are suggesting otherwise, probably related to the fact that natively BBRight takes a 30mm spindle.

The GXP version is widely used on various BB standards - I have a buddy with the Red dzero GXP on a Bianchi XR4 for example - obviously with appropriate adapters.

I'm sticking with my plan - to remove the BBB bottom bracket and install the wheels mfg BBRight GXP one.

I'll post if I have any issues :)
  • Please do regardless! Also do you know if you need the wheels mfg specific tools? They mention 16 tooth 48.5mm tool but my hollowtech 2 assy tool does not seem compatible, the diameter was less.
  • pauly69
    Yeah shimano tool is a smaller diameter. You’ll need a 48.5mm OD tool. I got a park bbt-29 but there are others.
  • The hollowtech tools ive got fitted ok but mine are a few years old i seem to remember getting an adapter that brings the size down in the last dura ace bb i fitted?

If youre a member of a club someone will have everything you need. Ive got the wheels bb press but you dont need it, any press with a large flat faced blank would do. Most of my bikes are press fits so it was worth getting it.

My experience with the wheels bbs is that theyre well made, simple to fit and work exceptionally well. They also have comprehensive instructions on their site ( though they really are simple to fit) and also you tube videos.

If youre in west berkshire ill happily lend you the stuff and show you how it works
  • ^Different continent, but thanks for the offer :D

I looked up some more info. The 48.5mm OD tool is the same eg FSA Mega Evo uses and there are tools around for that. I prefer the socket type wrench which I can use with my torque wrench.

Anyway, I will most likely get the wheels bb and swap out the bbo-72. I wonder though would the bb0-72 work with some shims and spindle reducer for the NDS?
  • mikkok wrote:
    ^Different continent, but thanks for the offer :D

I looked up some more info. The 48.5mm OD tool is the same eg FSA Mega Evo uses and there are tools around for that. I prefer the socket type wrench which I can use with my torque wrench.

Anyway, I will most likely get the wheels bb and swap out the bbo-72. I wonder though would the bb0-72 work with some shims and spindle reducer for the NDS?

Down to 22mm? There’s probably something out there but it might be a bit of a compromise
  • ^That's also what I suspect, but that would be the cheapest solution if it works. I hope pauly can get around assembling the bb and quarq dzero so he can confirm it works. Frustrating when one party says it works and other says it doesn't (quarq vs wheels).
  • pauly69
    Job done, no issues. Used the wheels bbright gxp, hardest job was removing the old BB - drive side screwed out fine but then had to hammer out the NDS, take care with that! Anyway, new BB went in fine and then the quarq dzero gxp had no issues. No spacers required, just used the BB seal and the wave washer on drive side and just the BB seal on NDS.

Build almost complete, and can confidently say it works great, mmmmm etap :):):)
  • Ace stuff :)

Did you enjoy hammering out the cup ????
  • pauly69
    Not really. I have a park tool bb30 removal tool which isn’t an ideal fit for hammering out the cup but was able to do it with suitable care!
  • ^Thanks Pauly!
  • Pauly, have you measured if your cranks are centered?

I installed mine today exactly as you say above. Drive side with wave washer and seal, NDS just seal. I used the seat tube bottle screw as a reference and the left crank is about 2mm further out than right.
  • mikkok
    mikkok Posts: 7
    ^I guess the bottle cage screw is not perfectly centered on the frame seat tube. Anyway, 2mm you can easily correct with the cleat if you want. Otherwise the install went well and cranks spin smoothly. Removing the old NDS cup was the only tricky part. I don't like to use a hammer on the carbon frames.
  • pauly69
    Sorry missed earlier post, I’m biking in Mallorca at the moment :) (not on the S3). I haven’t measured but given it fits so beautifully I wouldn’t mess with it for the sake of a mil or so. Like you say use a pedal spacer if you are that sensitive.

Cheers :)