Best beer EVER

2»

Comments

• This could turn into a “beers from the past that I would like to see again” thread: I had no idea that Ramrod still existed, must seek out.
    And +1 to CiB and others. I grew up in Staffordshire and to my mind a pint of Marston’s bitter was about the best it could get. That slightly sharp sulfurus edge with the bittersweet taste was spot on. Pedigree was sleeping ale, four pints and you’re in the land of nod. These days a shadow of itself (old git mumble).
    The best pint of Pedigree I ever had was in Rhyl when Bob Brooks ran the Swan. Meticulous with his cellar. Then Thwaites took it over. :roll:
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    ...grew up drinking Burton beers.
    Went on a tour of the Fullers brewery a few years back, apparently the water is treated to mimic the water of the Trent by a process called Burtonisation. But supposedly the water from the Trent is not the same as it was so now also needs to be Burtonised.
    I did the Fuller’s tour ages ago. Interesting in a way in that they can’t really expand so have to get more inventive with space. Going around the place was like an assault course.
    (Boring beer bit): Burtonisation is something any brewery will do to produce what the trade used to call “brilliant, sparkling ales” or similar. London water is great for softer beers like stout and porter, which is why it became the porter brewing capital of the world. When these faded in popularity, everyone wanted pale ales, such as Burton made. So the water profile had to be changed. Any home brewer can do it, so it can’t be that hard for Fullers.
    Still don’t like Fullers beers :evil:
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    As this thread does look like a beers from past. May I throw this one in.
    Wiltshire Bitter, brewed by Gibbs Mew of Salisbury. Sadly the brewery shut down many many years ago.
    It was a lovely smooth full bodied pint with that lovely creamy head that in the 80s I considered an indication of a decent pint.
    The brewery which was right in the city centre had a tap room and we would regularly drive up from Bournemouth to sample their brews and join in with quiz nights. Happy days.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.