Protect paint on crankarms

timberlete
timberlete Posts: 4
edited August 2018 in Deals and offers
What do you consider the best way to protect the paint/decals on the crankarms from getting scuffed?
Thanks -

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You could put some helicopter tape or make sure your cleats are set far enough away to avoid rub.
  • kesa
    kesa Posts: 35
    I use pedal extenders. Works great.
  • cougie wrote:
    You could put some helicopter tape or make sure your cleats are set far enough away to avoid rub.

Thanks! My plan at this point is to use clear nail polish then apply Helicopter tape on top.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Clear nail polish will look a bit sh*t to be honest. It's a liquid so won't dry uniformly thick. Fine for a small surface area like a fingernail but not on crank arms. Would look worse through tape too. Clear spray laquer would provide a nicer finish.

Really though, just go with helicopter tape or see if Slik or InvisiFrame make decals/wraps for you model cranks...

https://www.slikgraphics.com/collection ... ive-decals
    https://www.invisiframe.co.uk (They list them by brand, see the menu)

You get boots for the crank ends too...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... prod117550
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... -prod40502

Or throw caution to the wind and embrace wear and tear :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    I picked up some crank skins for my SRAM X9 - https://crankskins.myshopify.com/

I bought them to mask some scratched second hand cranks I bought. Definitely given them a better finish but would work for protecting new ones.
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • Thanks for the suggestion - I had not considered the sideways approach.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm in the embrace wear and tear camp. Hate a bike that looks like it's not ridden. Clean, lubed and mechanically perfect, yes, but it needs to look like it's got a few thousand miles on it.

Are you a perennial crank finish destroyer, or are you just a neat-freak?
  • slc123
    keef66 wrote:
    I'm in the embrace wear and tear camp. Hate a bike that looks like it's not ridden. Clean, lubed and mechanically perfect, yes, but it needs to look like it's got a few thousand miles on it.

I tend to agree, but if you like selling things, then people are keen on buying shiny things!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    slc123 wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

I tend to agree, but if you like selling things, then people are keen on buying shiny things!

True, but I never buy anything intending to sell it on. Generally my stuff is clapped out and heading for the recycling skip by the time I'm done with it.
  • slc123
    keef66 wrote:
    slc123 wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

True, but I never buy anything intending to sell it on. Generally my stuff is clapped out and heading for the recycling skip by the time I'm done with it.

My policy too... Ride it until it breaks, but some people manage to keep their 3 year old bikes clean and looking like new... No bloody idea how!?
  • It’s not hard, just get your cleats set up properly and you won’t get crank rub. You will never see a Pro’s bike with crank rub and they do tons more miles than we do! The reason is they are set up properly. There’s absolutely no excuse and it’s not difficult.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Some of us ride flats though, on and off road ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • slc123
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Some of us ride flats though, on and off road ;)

Yup...