Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB buying advice

Boardman v Trek Hardtail Bike 29er

Sr1LankaSr1Lanka Posts: 7
edited August 2018 in MTB buying advice
I’m in the market for a Hardtail 29er.
I’ve already ruled out the Cube Reaction Pro 29”.
Having read a number of posts and reviews there appears to be a strong case to choose the Boardman MHT 8.9 over the Trek Pro Caliber 6. Does anyone disagree or even have another contender ?

Posts

  • cooldadcooldad Posts: 32,601
    Links might help. I can't be bothered to hunt.
    I don't do smileys.

    There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

    London Calling on Facebook

    Parktools
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,722
    Both bikes score points on each other so probably pretty much equal. Personally I'd go with the Boardman and save the money.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • cooldadcooldad Posts: 32,601
    Agreed, unless you desperately need 12 speed, the Boardman is equal or better.
    I don't do smileys.

    There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

    London Calling on Facebook

    Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Agreed, unless you desperately need 12 speed, the Boardman is equal or better.

    Both bikes I’ve had a test ride on and The Trek is a lovely looking bike but the gearing seemed much smoother on the Boardman. The biggest disappointment is you’re left wanting more top end, just doesn’t feel enough. Any suggestions bike wise?
  • cooldad wrote:
    Agreed, unless you desperately need 12 speed, the Boardman is equal or better.

    Both bikes I’ve had a test ride on and The Trek is a lovely looking bike but the gearing seemed much smoother on the Boardman. The biggest disappointment is you’re left wanting more top end, just doesn’t feel enough. Any suggestions bike wise?
  • FishFishFishFish Posts: 2,152
    I've done 2000 miles on the Boadrman and new BB needed - it is a censored bb30 but then maybe 2000 miles is ok. The preload is no good on these cranks.Also getting the back wheel off is a faff. There is a minute grub screw retrofitted because the rear axle moves without it. You try removing it safely in the mud or in winter. Need frame protection around the headset for cable rub - but nothing special. I binned the 32T chainring and bought a superstar 36 t. Fine and no need to replace the chain.

    I did find that everything was screwed up really tight in the factory and had to get the garage to loosen the crank bolt.

    When you get it remove and keep the self extracting cap over the drive side crank axle bolt because it is not tightly fitted and you won't be able to remove the cranks to tighten the (censored ) pre-load. Actually dont - just let it fall off ab buy a new one with a 10 mm hex - it is easier to use than the fitted one which needs a special tool.

    I like the bike though but will never want a bb 30 again.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

    jeez :roll:
  • steve_sordysteve_sordy Posts: 2,311
    Sr1Lanka wrote:
    ...........

    Both bikes I’ve had a test ride on and The Trek is a lovely looking bike but the gearing seemed much smoother on the Boardman. The biggest disappointment is you’re left wanting more top end, just doesn’t feel enough. Any suggestions bike wise?

    "....wanting more top end..."

    I'm not sure what you mean by that. If you mean that the bike doesn't go fast enough for you, then change the front ring to a bigger one. But be aware that hills will,be harder and holes more difficult to climb out of.

    Both bikes are by reputable companies, both have massive sales, Trek are in the top three largest bike brands along with Giant and Specialized. But Boardman are probably bigger in the UK. (No research, just from memory).
  • Thanks for your reply, I mean if hitting level ground from a hill you will find yourself spinning.
  • FishFish wrote:
    I've done 2000 miles on the Boadrman and new BB needed - it is a censored bb30 but then maybe 2000 miles is ok. The preload is no good on these cranks.Also getting the back wheel off is a faff. There is a minute grub screw retrofitted because the rear axle moves without it. You try removing it safely in the mud or in winter. Need frame protection around the headset for cable rub - but nothing special. I binned the 32T chainring and bought a superstar 36 t. Fine and no need to replace the chain.

    I did find that everything was screwed up really tight in the factory and had to get the garage to loosen the crank bolt.

    When you get it remove and keep the self extracting cap over the drive side crank axle bolt because it is not tightly fitted and you won't be able to remove the cranks to tighten the (censored ) pre-load. Actually dont - just let it fall off ab buy a new one with a 10 mm hex - it is easier to use than the fitted one which needs a special tool.

    I like the bike though but will never want a bb 30 again.


    Thanks for your reply, is your the MHT 8.9, this is the model I’m looking at.
  • steve_sordysteve_sordy Posts: 2,311
    Sr1Lanka wrote:
    Thanks for your reply, I mean if hitting level ground from a hill you will find yourself spinning.

    Same thing, fit a bigger front ring.
  • FishFishFishFish Posts: 2,152
    Sr1Lanka wrote:


    Thanks for your reply, is your the MHT 8.9, this is the model I’m looking at.
    Mine is the Boardman 29 er pro - hardtail

    Thisnk about the Bizango 29 inch too. It is a good bike.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

    jeez :roll:
Sign In or Register to comment.