New bike with tubeless tires keep puncturing with inner tubes

Helkor
Helkor Posts: 8
edited August 2018 in Workshop
Hey,

So I'm entirely new to road biking. I've been commuting for many years, and decided to try it out.

I bought a Cannondale Disc 105 SE (https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bike/ ... 76fca46582) which has got tubeless tires and rims.

The shop I bought it at however, decided to throw in inner tubes, as I guess that might have been the cheaper solution for them (even though I hardly think so?)

Anyway, fact is, I keep puncturing every ride, and I think it might be because it's not ideal at all to run inner tubes in tubeless tires and rims, rather it is a way to get home, should you ever be unlucky while on the road.

What should I do? Am I just retarded at putting on inner tubes, or am I actually right, and should I (politely) complain to the shop?

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    They don't puncture for no reason. Where are the holes in the inner tubes ?
  • Helkor
    Fenix wrote:
    They don't puncture for no reason. Where are the holes in the inner tubes ?

The hole is about a quarter a round from the valve. The previous hole were definitely a different place than this. There is a puncture all the way through the tire, so it doesn't seem to be a clench puncture.

edit: The puncture is pretty much in the middle of the tire.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,498
    If a tubeless tyre seals and holds air without an inner tube, then putting in an inner tube with a gaping hole in it should not stop the tyre holding air.

Take it back tot he shop and see what they say.
  • Helkor
    Singleton wrote:
    If a tubeless tyre seals and holds air without an inner tube, then putting in an inner tube with a gaping hole in it should not stop the tyre holding air.

Take it back tot he shop and see what they say.

If you run an inner tube inside of a tubeless tire, it pretty much becomes a normal tire in terms of puncturing. If you puncture through the tire there will be no sealant to seal the hole as with running entirely tubeless, and so the air inside the inner tube will be able to run out freely.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    They never come pre-setup tubeless even if you have tubeless compatible wheels and tyres. You still shouldn't be puncturing all the time though with tubes so you must be doing something wrong.
  • Helkor
    trek_dan wrote:
    They never come pre-setup tubeless even if you have tubeless compatible wheels and tyres. You still shouldn't be puncturing all the time though with tubes so you must be doing something wrong.

Well that answers that question. I'm just really puzzled as to why it's puncturing so much.

On my commute bike, I haven't had a puncture for like 5 years, and I've put that bike through way more than what I put my road bike through.

Now of course, I realize that the tires are different, and road tires do not handle sticks and stones as well as regular tires do, but still. I didn't take it offroad though, and I took one of the most comfortable rides in the city on my first ride.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    have you checked the wheel and tyre?

have you tried a different tyre?

#itsprobablynottheshop'sfault
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Helkor

I have not tried a different tyre no. The bike is brand new, and so are the tyres, so I assume that there is nothing wrong with them. I'm all new to road biking, so spare tyres or rims are not something I have laying around.

I guess I will give the shop a call, and see if they will help me figure it out. It is afterall only 2 weeks since I've bought it.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Foreign bodies still stuck in the tyre, from previous punctures?

Rubbish rim tape and spoke holes doing the damage?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Helkor wrote:

I have not tried a different tyre no. The bike is brand new, and so are the tyres, so I assume that there is nothing wrong with them. I'm all new to road biking, so spare tyres or rims are not something I have laying around.

I guess I will give the shop a call, and see if they will help me figure it out. It is afterall only 2 weeks since I've bought it.

tyres may be faulty. one of mf's friends had this problem. loads of punctures then new tyre fitted and KAZOOOOOOOOOM!!!! no problems at all.

have you checked the tyre for things poking through and causing the punctures?

#feelingsofdeflation
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Take out the tubes and put some Stans sealant in, you have tubeless 30c tyres and tubless rims.

They probably hand out the tubes just for emergency use, but they are not needed, the bike will roll better without them.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    robertpb wrote:
    Take out the tubes and put some Stans sealant in, you have tubeless 30c tyres and tubless rims.

They probably hand out the tubes just for emergency use, but they are not needed, the bike will roll better without them.

No, they put tubes in so you can ride it. Unless you ask, most shops will not set the bike up tubeless.

So check it actually has tubeless rim strips, get some sealant, and tubeless valves, or just check the inside of the tyres for stuff sticking through and use tubes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    What pressure are you running them at and how often do you check it?
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Is it too obvious to suggest removing the tubes and using sealant instead?
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Helkor
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions, I will try to answer all your questions here!
    i.bhamra wrote:

I run at the pressure as prescribed on the tires! (I can't recall exactly what that is, but I think about 80 PSI?) Since I've punctured at every ride I've done so far, I will say I have checked this everytime so far.
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Is it too obvious to suggest removing the tubes and using sealant instead?

That might indeed be the final solution I'm going with! It shouldn't be too expensive to setup, but I will need to buy new tape, sealant and a valve for this setup.
    Helkor wrote:

tyres may be faulty. one of mf's friends had this problem. loads of punctures then new tyre fitted and KAZOOOOOOOOOM!!!! no problems at all.

have you checked the tyre for things poking through and causing the punctures?

#feelingsofdeflation

I have checked for "foreign objects" inside the tire. Faulty tires could indeed be the issue.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Helkor wrote:
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions, I will try to answer all your questions here!
    i.bhamra wrote:

I run at the pressure as prescribed on the tires! (I can't recall exactly what that is, but I think about 80 PSI?) Since I've punctured at every ride I've done so far, I will say I have checked this everytime so far.

They are not 'prescribed' pressures, they are cover your ass recommended ranges. You need to adjust to your weight, conditions etc.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I have a Cannondale Slate. It comes with tubeless tyres and rims, but the bike always comes with tubes in. I'm in a Facebook group for Slate owners, and most people's experience of the stock tyres with tubes is that they are very puncture prone (including stories of people getting punctures in both tyres on their first ride). Once set up tubeless most people find them to be fine. I think the issue with the Slate is that the stock tyre is very supple and fairly delicate making it prone to being penetrated by sharps. If there's sealant in there then these self-seal, if there's a tube in there then you've got a flat tyre.
  • Helkor
    Graeme_S wrote:
    I have a Cannondale Slate. It comes with tubeless tyres and rims, but the bike always comes with tubes in. I'm in a Facebook group for Slate owners, and most people's experience of the stock tyres with tubes is that they are very puncture prone (including stories of people getting punctures in both tyres on their first ride). Once set up tubeless most people find them to be fine. I think the issue with the Slate is that the stock tyre is very supple and fairly delicate making it prone to being penetrated by sharps. If there's sealant in there then these self-seal, if there's a tube in there then you've got a flat tyre.

hmm, that actually makes sense! I guess I will get the tubeless set up, this should make me more puncture proof anyway, and afaik it doesn't cost too much once you have the tyres and rims!