Best Budget Light Road Bike

13»

Comments

• craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Where is it listed? Link?
  • Haven't listed it yet, but will probably go on ebay over the weekend, but yes, I am determined to get rid. Mind is made up now. I bought the wrong bike, my own fault but I'll get it right next time!
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    What size frame?
  • 54cm / Medium
  • There's no way your issues are the fault of those tyres on an 8 mile a day commute ride. Go to a shop for advice before spending more money on it.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Sobeitjedi wrote:
    Haven't listed it yet, but will probably go on ebay over the weekend, but yes, I am determined to get rid. Mind is made up now. I bought the wrong bike, my own fault but I'll get it right next time![/quote]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXW-sL5gzHQ
  • jonboyuk
    jonboyuk Posts: 40
    I dunno if this helps, but I bought a Cannondale Quick Carbon 2 Hybrid on CTW 3 months ago. I was sold the wrong sized frame (too small) and it was causing me awful wrist pain. After 2 months of use, and a lot of pain I complained to the shop. They actually took it back, and C2W reissued my voucher to me a few weeks ago.

I went to another shop and swapped it for a Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 Disc 2018 (which funnily enough I LOVE). But I realise the carbon frame is different to your alloy. Nonetheless, HTH :)
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Endurance tyres yuck will roll slow :o
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Moonbiker wrote:
    Endurance tyres yuck will roll slow :o

This. But hey, what do we know

#horsetowater
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    There's no helping some people once their mind is set. My bet is that it was the wrong colour... :roll:
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • No, the colour was definitely right. If a bike ain't black, I don't give it a second look
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    All things considered, I definitely didn't find my old alloy Synapse ponderous or particularly hard to ride, even relative to the CAAD10 and SS Evo HiMod I've since acquired. Some of the Strava KOMs I set on it are still standing, too.

Clearly, something isn't quite right, because it's not an inherently bad bike.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    But how do you know you'll get it right next time? If you dont know what was wrong with it this time?
  • poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    I bought a washing machine last month to replace my old one. Long story short, I'm moving house because it doesn't have the load capacity I'd hoped it would have.
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    This is surreal - how bad can a bike be if you are only on it for 1/2 hour at a time? I'm confused by all the talk of tyres, carbon wheels etc, as said before a Raleigh Chopper could do the job for that distance.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Sobeitjedi wrote:
    Thanks for the advice, have ordered the Michelin Pro 4 Endurance tyres and will try them out, but in the meantime, have also put the bike up for sale.

You are determined to get rid aren't you?

As Shoddy said a few posts back, if it's on CTW scheme then you may not be 'allowed' to sell it. Check with the small print in your agreement before you bang it on ebay.

No need to check. The C2W scheme is a lease purchase scheme and the bike is not legally his (if C2W) until the end of the 2nd year. The first year pays for the bike but not the taxable benefit in kind gained from the reduction in cost. The second year sees the 2nd hand value drop sufficiently for HMRC to deem it not a taxable benefit in kind.

Selling it is illegal.

However the chances of being caught.........
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    Sobeitjedi wrote:
    No, the colour was definitely right. If a bike ain't black, I don't give it a second look
    Go to Halfords buy for your commute a Carrera Subway 2, theyre black too. You will then discover what a heavy commuting bike feels like. You will also learn what its like to ride something other than a light road bike. Then you will be on the first step to cycling utopia- able and experienced enough to ride any bike plus no longer be scared of 'really heavy' 25mm gator skins, Mavic Aksiums or slow Synapses.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    kirkee wrote:
    Sobeitjedi wrote:
    No, the colour was definitely right. If a bike ain't black, I don't give it a second look
    Go to Halfords buy for your commute a Carrera Subway 2, theyre black too. You will then discover what a heavy commuting bike feels like. You will also learn what its like to ride something other than a light road bike. Then you will be on the first step to cycling utopia- able and experienced enough to ride any bike plus no longer be scared of 'really heavy' 25mm gator skins, Mavic Aksiums or slow Synapses.

"able and experienced enough"

ffs

#clubbie
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    I reckon you should get a TT bike and skin suit for the work commute.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I imagine it's got an alloy steerer on carbon legs?

That wheel and tyre combo is about as robust as it gets for riding on shite British commuter roads. Unfortunately you cant have the best of both worlds.

To give that bike a fighting chance you probably want to be looking at a tubeless set up on the Hunts as suggested and if you fancy chucking some more money at it, upgrade to a full carbon fork. Or keep it as a winter / commuter bike and built something exciting and light up over the winter.

Before you do anything though, buy some decent tyres and just see the difference that makes.

hunts arr overpriced - you get as good/better for far less.

no need for tubeless.

#don'tbeasheep

^^ this is good advise, take note ^^
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.