Fake frame? plis help

dawka11000
dawka11000 Posts: 6
edited August 2018 in Road buying advice
Hello I just bought second hand from my local shop Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1 2016, but when im looking at it on giant website https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/defy- ... pro-1-2016 you can see there is a missing logo just on top of seat tube,Soo I consider is it fake?? xcd.jpg

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    :) are you sure on the website photo that the logo isn't on the other side?

I wouldn't worry, the bike is not a fake, either that or it is the best fake ever, they've even decided to make fake tyres with the giant logo on them! :)
  • On my both sides Logo its missing:o the part are real just the frame im worring about. Look on this exmaple
    https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Giant-Defy-Adv ... %7Ciid%3A1
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    You could always check the frame number with Giant...there's a thought..
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Then take it back to the shop and get your money back.

And find a real one, although I think mfin is correct.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • dawka11000
    dawka11000 Posts: 6
    edited August 2018
    Taking about serial code. There is no serial code on it i have check every where. There was a sticker but it have been removed, thats the shop i bough bike from.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Partridge are a Giant dealer, so highly unlikely they would be selling fake Giants, ffs. Besides which, if you're going to fake a frame, then you would probably be better faking a Pinarello or an S-Works, just think about it..
  • Ye thats what i thought, im just conserding about that logo, does it easly coming off or its just a sticket, all type of this bikes got one.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    They aren't going to be selling fakes.
    Designs change all the time. Especially stickers.

They're not going to take a carbon fibre Frame at great expense but then forget to add the sticker.

I would ask the shop where the frame number is though.
  • This bike its second hand from this shop, they probly dont know but i will ask.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    mf was just saying that he thinks you need to worry more about your door handle than the bicycle frame
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    dawka11000 wrote:
    Ye thats what i thought, im just conserding about that logo, does it easly coming off or its just a sticket, all type of this bikes got one.

Umm...
    dawka11000 wrote:
    Taking about serial code. There is no serial code on it i have check every where. There was a sticker but it have been removed, thats the shop i bough bike from.
  • The frame number on my Domane is engraved on the under side of the frame beneath the bottom bracket.

Of course my bike is alluminium. Do carbon bikes have the frame number engraved anywhere or is it not possible on a carbon bike?

The. I read this

viewtopic.php?t=13040069
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    The frame number on my Domane is engraved on the under side of the frame beneath the bottom bracket.

Of course my bike is alluminium. Do carbon bikes have the frame number engraved anywhere or is it not possible on a carbon bike?

The. I read this

viewtopic.php?t=13040069

Yeah, as per that post it's usually printed on a sticker and stuck to the BB shell on carbon frames.

In fact if you look at this picture of a Defy you can see it behind the chainring...

Feature-Giant.jpg

You can also see the missing yellow sticker Dawka is referring to just under the seatclamp. Seems odd that it's missing as I would expect it to be clear lacquered over rather than just a peel-off sticker. I highly doubt it's a fake frame though.

Dawka, does it show any signs of being painted/sprayed? It may have cracked and been repaired.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Matthewfalle
    edited August 2018
    mf likes posts like that.

bloke with comlletely different bike made from completely different material by completely different manufactuter states that he has completely different markings.

its like that bloke who posted that you should buy ultegra and not force because it was so much better but he had never actually used force ....

#useful

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    mf likes pists like that.

bloke with comlletely different bike made from completely different material by completely different manufactuter states that he has completely different markings.

its like that bloke who posted that you should buy ultegra and not force because it was so much better but he had never actually used force ....

#useful

The dude linked to a thread about a carbon Cannondale where the serial number was printed on a sticker on the BB shell, much like the carbon Giant Defy where Giant print the serial number on a sticker and stick it to the BB shell.

Put that MF away and bring out the one who can follow links ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • garryboy1888
    garryboy1888 Posts: 41
    edited August 2018

#useful

Is MF on about my post?

I presume he is.

From my point of view. The OP is looking for help with his frame. He can't locate the serial number. I don't have a carbon frame looked to see what the norm for a serial number on a carbon frame. The linked post described a chap with a similar issues. His carbon framed bike had no serial number etched but a sticker that had been removed.

So from the OP point of view it may ease his worry slightly as he cannot find serial number it may have fallen off rather indicating that the frame is counterfeit.

So on that case #itisfukinhelpful

I have to agree though his door handle does need fixing.
  • Matthewfalle
    do you want me to ask him?

#enquiry

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • d00d4h
    d00d4h Posts: 67
    OP states "I just bought second hand".

Maybe it's as simple as the previous owner removed the stickers, for whatever reason.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    d00d4h wrote:
    Maybe it's as simple as the previous owner removed the stickers, for whatever reason.
    He had his name stickers there like the pro's do?
    I'd be more worried about it being nicked than fake if the serial number sticker has been removed :roll: Nobody would go to that much effort to fake a mid level Giant.
  • Matthewfalle
    CitizenLee wrote:

#useful

The dude linked to a thread about a carbon Cannondale where the serial number was printed on a sticker on the BB shell, much like the carbon Giant Defy where Giant print the serial number on a sticker and stick it to the BB shell.

Put that MF away and bring out the one who can follow links ;)

we checked and can't find one that fufills that criteria.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.