SPOILER BINCKBank Tour stage 7

Vino'sGhost
Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
edited August 2018 in Pro race
Cobbles climbs this is a cracking stage, like one of the early season races in classics season

Comments

• Vino'sGhost
    20k to go stybar on matthews wheel moving up the road to the front riders
  • Vino'sGhost
    Valgren in the front group of 3 on a neutral service bike, had it for 10k and no bottle, GVA in the chasing group. Quality Quality field.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Oliver Naessen about 10 seconds up the road, peloton a way back with several chase groups just behind
  • Vino'sGhost
    Half the chase group went over the pavement then.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Peloton catching the chase group of 6

Naessen now at 23 seconds with 12.9k to go
  • Vino'sGhost
    Ef riders not using thenew cannondale bike still
  • Vino'sGhost
    Attacks on the front 5 seconds cut off the lead in a very short time.

24 seconds 11.4k to go. Split of 8 or 9 off the front but naessen time trialling all in with 24seconds
  • Vino'sGhost
    9.9k to go 17 seconds
  • Vino'sGhost
    All in for the fnal cobbled climb
  • Vino'sGhost
    8.7k and 23 seconds. But 2 more climbs to go
  • Vino'sGhost
    Very dodgy turn coming
  • Vino'sGhost
    All through ok somehow. 6.8k to 18seconds
    Peloton now strung out
  • Vino'sGhost
    700m at 8%. Lead falling rapidly.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Stybar attacks and the race explodes! Stybar passes naeesen matthes coming up
  • Vino'sGhost
    PROPER RACING! 5k to go 7 or 8 on stybars wheel but then they all sat up, does no opne have any legs?
  • Vino'sGhost
    Muuur de unpronouncable is last climb in 3k
  • Vino'sGhost
    Stuyven getting feisty but van baal and an ef and qstep on his wheel, a few seconds ahead of whats left of the chasing group.
  • Vino'sGhost
    1k to go
  • Nice thread Vino. I particularly like the maps and profiles. :P

The race ultimately won from the sprinter teams failure to chase down the break.
    That and the lack of any real GC opportunity outside of today, which meant lots of uncooperative GC men neutralizing all the attacks.
    This race desperately needs a re-vamp.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    Am I right that this race is ranked higher than anything Roman Bardet has ever won?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    gsk82 wrote:
    Am I right that this race is ranked higher than anything Roman Bardet has ever won?

Tour de l\'Ain is a 2.1 so I think you might be right.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Nice thread Vino. I particularly like the maps and profiles. :P

The race ultimately won from the sprinter teams failure to chase down the break.
    That and the lack of any real GC opportunity outside of today, which meant lots of uncooperative GC men neutralizing all the attacks.
    This race desperately needs a re-vamp.

I thought about the blazing profiles but my interest and ipad computer skills were at the lower end of things.

buuut what a great route and race today. Very enjoyable, it seemed odd looking at the route and the climbs in full summer glory.
  • Vino'sGhost
    RonB wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

Tour de l\'Ain is a 2.1 so I think you might be right.

I think so too but i defer to people with a desire to record all these sorts of thing
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    gsk82 wrote:
    In terms of GC wins, yes. Although in terms of UCI points, Bardet's 6th place in this year's TDF was worth exactly the same as winning this race which feels about right to me in terms of prestige.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • DeadCalm wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:
    In terms of GC wins, yes. Although in terms of UCI points, Bardet's 6th place in this year's TDF was worth exactly the same as winning this race which feels about right to me in terms of prestige.

What is truly ridiculous to me is that there are the exactly same UCI points awarded to the GC here, as there are in Hamburg.
    So, Jasper Stuyven, who raced hard all week, gets less UCI points than Nik Arndt and Nic Bonifazio, who were the 8th and 9th best sprinters in Hamburg.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Vino'sGhost
    DeadCalm wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

What is truly ridiculous to me is that there are the exactly same UCI points awarded to the GC here, as there are in Hamburg.
    So, Jasper Stuyven, who raced hard all week, gets less UCI points than Nik Arndt and Nic Bonifazio, who were the 8th and 9th best sprinters in Hamburg.

it makes a mockery of the points system in favour of the sprinters. Perhaps it's necessary to stop the sport being all about anaemic climbers