Can't believe my 4ZA Cirrus Wheelset aren't 11 speed, should have gone to specsavers or am I missing

ascurrell
ascurrell Posts: 1,739
edited August 2018 in Workshop
Thought I'd build a new bike from scratch from some new gear and good 2nd hand stuff.

Only thing I [was] am keeping is the 4ZA Cirrus wheelset, reasonable weight and durable [I'm 100kg] and seen very little use.
The biggest change for me is to go to 11 speed for first time.
Changed over wheels, fitted new tyres / tubes etc.
Went to fit 11 speed cassette, oh dear it doesn't fit. I can only assume the Freehub is only up to 10 speed.

I must admit I am surprised as it's not a budget wheelset and I just assumed it was for 11 speed, am I missing something [fingers crossed], or am I [as my Wife says] a dingbat.
Oh well that's an hour of my life I won't get back lol

Appreciate any feedback even if it's just to make you laugh,

Cheers, Scurry

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    You sure there isn't a spacer tucked away there somewhere?

#ninjaspacer
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ascurrell
    Hi, I'll have another check tomorrow but pretty sure there isn't. I tried two different cassettes.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,140
    what make/model is the hub? if it is a 10s there may be a conversion option

worst case you could get the wheel rebuilt with an 11s hub, obvs you need to decide if it's economic
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • ascurrell
    Thanks Matthewfalle & sungod, I'll have a look later and take some photos. I think rebuild etc isn't really worth it. I'm sure I can still find a use for them as I do like the wheelset, Cheers for now
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    ascurrell wrote:
    Thanks Matthewfalle & sungod, I'll have a look later and take some photos. I think rebuild etc isn't really worth it. I'm sure I can still find a use for them as I do like the wheelset, Cheers for now

Tbh, there’s not a lot of difference (if any) between 10 and 11 speed so just stick with 10.

#don’tbelievethehype
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ascurrell
    Matthewfalle, good call mate if I hadn't bought the rest of the groupset. ouch ! I do have some Fulcrum Quattros in the loft, hopefully they're 11 speed.
  • If you are fitting a Shimano groupset, I think the 11 speed 32t or 34t cassettes fit on 10speed wheels. You would need a medium length rear cage bit if you're 100kg then probably worthwhile anyway. Just a thought. I plan on doing something similar for a climbing/holiday bike.
  • ascurrell
    Hi, it's a 28 cassette I'm fitting. I've just fitted the cassette onto a set of Fulcrum Quattros no problem. Here's a couple of photos of the 4za wheels shame as they are a bit lighter, Captain Fagor, where are you off to for your holiday, have a great time even if it is hard work.
    DSCI0251_1.jpg

DSCI0252_1.jpg

DSCI0253_1.jpg
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    If you are fitting a Shimano groupset, I think the 11 speed 32t or 34t cassettes fit on 10speed wheels.

Why do you think that? There's no difference in cassette width across any of Shimano's 11sp stuff...
  • IIRC, the 32t or 34t cassette has a recess in the body which allows it to sit further inboard, depending on which washers/spacers you use on the freehub body. Would need to look into it again online, but fairly confident that is the case.
  • PS, ascurrell - no holidays planned at present. Nowhere near well enough to be cycling abroad at the moment.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Imposter wrote:
    If you are fitting a Shimano groupset, I think the 11 speed 32t or 34t cassettes fit on 10speed wheels.

Why do you think that? There's no difference in cassette width across any of Shimano's 11sp stuff...
    IIRC, the 32t or 34t cassette has a recess in the body which allows it to sit further inboard, depending on which washers/spacers you use on the freehub body. Would need to look into it again online, but fairly confident that is the case.
    It's only the 34 cassette that is 10 speed wheel compatible. This applies to Ultegra and now also to new 105
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Svetty wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

IIRC, the 32t or 34t cassette has a recess in the body which allows it to sit further inboard, depending on which washers/spacers you use on the freehub body. Would need to look into it again online, but fairly confident that is the case.
    It's only the 34 cassette that is 10 speed wheel compatible. This applies to Ultegra and now also to new 105

thats interesting...... new life for my c24 wheelset :)
  • Indeed - I'll be re-commissioning a set of DA7703 9/10sp compatible hubs.