Hi - Newbie

Scale710
Scale710 Posts: 8
edited August 2018 in MTB beginners
I have just bought my first mtb, having spent my entire cycling life (60 years) on road bikes.
I'm 71. Fit. Active. But entirely new to mtb's. My new bike is a Scott Scale 710.
It is entirely different to what I'm used to, but having been out on it today (14 miles round the local reservoir) I have enjoyed it immensely.

I would like, if I may, to ask questions as they arise about such things as technique, trails, etc.
I can do track stands. I don't envisage a problem learning to do endo turns.
I need to learn to do pumping, manuals & bunny hops.

I am never going to compete: but I would like to be able to negotiate blue & red trails competently.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Welcome to the light side.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • gomezz
    gomezz Posts: 99
    Hi scale710, I am 72 and up graded from a Scot hard tail after 17 yrs to a Boardman team FS in Jan 2017, I ride mainly around Sherwood forest trails ( not Sherwood Pines ) although I do go there at times. The Boardman is so different to the Scott I was like a newbie again! After a few upgrades: tubeless, new pedals and grips, better tires I am just loving it.
    I try to ride within my capabilities and age, but then think bugger it and get on.
    Enjoy.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Welcome to the forum!

Feel free to ask away, although we're a mixed bunch with varied opinions so be prepared for some infighting when someone answers a question that someone else doesn't agree with! :P

Depending on where you live, you might want to look into a skills course. Not only are these good for learning new skills and techniques, they're also a great way to meet fellow riders.

You could also check out some skills videos. The Global Mountain Bike Network channel on YouTube have an excellent selection of Tips and How To videos, for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aw6a736QLk

Some other good channels with How To videos:

Bike Radar
    https://www.youtube.com/user/bikeradar

Seth's Bike Hacks
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu8Yyl ... aQC74Hr_Gw
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    HI Scale710, welcome to Bike Radar! :)

I was 57 when I started MTB, and pretty much the first thing I did was to sign up for an Introduction to MTB skills course. It was the best thing I could have done. As you have seem to have discovered already there is more to MTB than just riding a bike along the flat. Just Google "MTB skills courses" and go from there. Alternatively, ask at your local bike shop or trail centre, or give us a clue roughly where you live and someone may be able to recommend an instructor. I go on a skills course about once per year and have done so for the last ten years.

I would only give one warning to you. :shock:

Be careful MTB can take over your life! :D
  • Tone C
    Tone C Posts: 30
    :

Be careful MTB can take over your life! :D

We hadn't noticed Steve x :lol:
  • cooldad wrote:
    Welcome to the light side.

Thank you, each.
    Did some minor adjustments to the bike following my ride yesterday.
    Been out again today - about the same distance - but probably half of it off the beaten track.
    Tried doing 'pumping' for the first time on some undulating fields. You would probably have laughed, but I was pleased with my progress.
    Two of my sons ride 'off-road' so they are going to initially put me through my paces and help me to improve.