Squeaky rear wheel

88engine
88engine Posts: 3
edited August 2018 in Workshop
Hi all. Please go easy, I'm a newbie (to the forum and cycling!)...

I have a hybrid. Nothing fancy, I picked it up second hand for £60. It's a Mongoose 450 - if that means anything to you lot. I'm considering investing in something better now I've "tried" cycling and enjoy it - and use it for my commute to work most of the time these days. However, for now, that's what I've got.

I'm doing The Great North Bike Ride next weekend (26 Aug) after foolishly signing myself up. I cycle 5 miles to work, 10 miles a day, and so obviously that meant in my head I could do 60 miles on the bounce with just 7 weeks prep. Anyway, that's where I'm at. I've still only gone as far as 26 miles, but that's another story. I need some help to make sure my bike is physically and mechanically fit for next week. I've had it serviced at Halfords, but to be honest they ripped my eyeballs out and they haven't really improved it. Won't be going there again.

It now seems my rear wheel is buckled. It "wobbles" when I turn the bike upside down and spin the wheel. It also sticks - quite badly actually - and comes to a fairly abrupt stop. This investigation came about after hearing a squeak from the rear on my last few rides.

So my questions are: (1) are the squeak and buckled wheel related and if so how do I fix a buckled wheel? (2) if not related to the buckled wheel, what else might the squeak be?
Also if you have any tips on how to make it round 60 miles without keeling over that'd be grand...

Cheers

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sounds like the buckle is running the rim into the brake, that will cause a squeak and it to stop. True it up, read up or look on YouTube for how to guides.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.