Aretha Franklin

crispybug2
crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
edited August 2018 in The cake stop
Has died aged 76

One of the greatest voices in music history

Count myself as very lucky to have seen her live at Radio City in New York on a Soul revue show in 85-86, one of the most powerful voices I’ve ever heard

Comments

  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,417
    Without doubt one of the greatest voices in music history and in that soul/gospel genre, hers was the defining voice. Amazing, troubled and, at times, tragic life too, but what a voice
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    yup - v v sad. great loss.

    #losstoall
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

    De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

    Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

    He's right you know.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    As someone who grew up loving her music (and still listens to it a lot!), it feels almost a personal loss and she was without doubt the greatest female souls singer of all time. I've never really got the whole Adele thing and when people (mostly younger than me) mention how great she is, my usual response is 'Well each to their own but she's certainly not Aretha'.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    More importantly, did anyone have her here.

    viewtopic.php?f=10007&p=20402488#p20402488
    I don't do smileys.

    There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

    London Calling on Facebook

    Parktools
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    ayjaycee wrote:
    As someone who grew up loving her music (and still listens to it a lot!), it feels almost a personal loss and she was without doubt the greatest female souls singer of all time. I've never really got the whole Adele thing and when people (mostly younger than me) mention how great she is, my usual response is 'Well each to their own but she's certainly not Aretha'.

    Not really sure why you not liking Adele is relevant, or why the age of people who think she is good is relevant either.




    #startingargumentsisfun :wink:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,164
    HaydenM wrote:
    ayjaycee wrote:
    As someone who grew up loving her music (and still listens to it a lot!), it feels almost a personal loss and she was without doubt the greatest female souls singer of all time. I've never really got the whole Adele thing and when people (mostly younger than me) mention how great she is, my usual response is 'Well each to their own but she's certainly not Aretha'.

    Not really sure why you not liking Adele is relevant, or why the age of people who think she is good is relevant either.



    #startingargumentsisfun :wink:

    Pretty sure there was footage of Aretha singing Rolling in the Deep on the news last night.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

    Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    HaydenM wrote:
    ayjaycee wrote:
    As someone who grew up loving her music (and still listens to it a lot!), it feels almost a personal loss and she was without doubt the greatest female souls singer of all time. I've never really got the whole Adele thing and when people (mostly younger than me) mention how great she is, my usual response is 'Well each to their own but she's certainly not Aretha'.

    Not really sure why you not liking Adele is relevant, or why the age of people who think she is good is relevant either.




    #startingargumentsisfun :wink:

    #amateur :wink:

    I didn't like her music at all, so her passing has no more relevance to me than that of any other complete stranger.

    Slow news day in our celebrity-obsessed society.
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,787
    Sad loss, her voice never really connected to me emotionally and I am a fan of soul music from that era but I think that's just a personal thing, maybe her voice is almost too technically perfect, my wife is a fan of hers.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,778
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsMGHzOQrps

    Amazing - and not only for the intro.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Never been a fan of her music,genre or voice but she was obviously very talented and inspirational to many other artists.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    May get accused of being insensitive here, but she was no Mavis Bingham.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Ballysmate wrote:
    May get accused of being insensitive here, but she was no Mavis Bingham.

    Oh, I don't think anybody on here knew her.

    I didn't realise she was still alive, well, not that she is now.

    There's nothing really to say apart from she was Aretha Franklin.