Look Keo Blade - foot coming out

robthehungrymonkey
robthehungrymonkey Posts: 616
edited August 2018 in Workshop
I've got some Look Keo blade pedals and at the weekend, a couple of times out of the saddle powering up a hill my foot was suddenly released. i thought it a bit weird, and made a note to have a look at them when I got home. Obviously, I forgot.
Yesterday, I went out again and it got considerably worse. My foot came out countless times even when seated.

It takes the same amount of effort (arguably a bit too much for me) to unclip when twisting my ankle to release. That seems completely normal, no play or anything. But, lifting straight up, the foot comes out quite easily.

This is what's confusing me, i'd have thought if the blades needed replacing then it would be easier to unclip normally. Not just with my foot straight. I can't see any wear or difference when comparing the two pedals off the bike and am generally confused. Cleats aren't new, but they don't seem overly worn and no different between left and right.

Pedals are bloody expensive, so I hope they're not just knackered!

Any help would be greatly appreciated
http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.

Comments

• Have you adjusted the spring tensioner at the back of the pedal. Sounds as though one side needs tightening.

My Keo cleats are around 50% thickness on the front tips and still engaged fine.
  • joenobody
    joenobody Posts: 563
    gazza1286 wrote:
    Have you adjusted the spring tensioner at the back of the pedal. Sounds as though one side needs tightening.
    The blades don't have that - they're fixed tension, determined by the stiffness of the blade in the pedal body.

@RTHM, what tension do you have? I think mine are 12Nm, and I've never had that problem - it takes a strong engagement to get the cleats both in and out of the pedal.
  • JoeNobody wrote:
    gazza1286 wrote:
    Have you adjusted the spring tensioner at the back of the pedal. Sounds as though one side needs tightening.
    The blades don't have that - they're fixed tension, determined by the stiffness of the blade in the pedal body.
    Exactly my thinking, hence the confusion. :?
    JoeNobody wrote:
    @RTHM, what tension do you have? I think mine are 12Nm, and I've never had that problem - it takes a strong engagement to get the cleats both in and out of the pedal.

16NM, i think i'd prefer the 12's tbh.

Getting the foot in is normal, (intentionally) getting your feet out by twisting feels completely normal. But, I can lift the foot straight off the pedal.
  • joenobody
    joenobody Posts: 563
    I rode some 16s once (might even have been 20s). I could hardly get in or out of the pedal, and once in it was rock solid. Have you tried attaching the shoe without your foot in it to get a closer look at what's going on? Are the pedals new?
  • JoeNobody wrote:
    I rode some 16s once (might even have been 20s). I could hardly get in or out of the pedal, and once in it was rock solid. Have you tried attaching the shoe without your foot in it to get a closer look at what's going on? Are the pedals new?

Sorted it. Your suggestion made me realise the foot is releasing from the front of the pedal. The cleat is knackered, just not in the way i had expected.

I've got some new cleats, so will put them on and i'm sure that will solve it.

Thanks for the help, slightly embarrassed that it's the cleats after all. :oops: