upgrading TT bike to di2

benjamess
benjamess Posts: 159
edited August 2018 in Workshop
as above, I'm thinking of upgrading my TT bike to di2 over the winter so was just wondering two things really;

What parts would need to be purchased?

How difficult is it to fit yourself? compared to recabling which is just about manageable :lol:

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    you would need to buy everything apart from brakes and crank set. it'll cost a fortune.

its trickier than recabling because you have the cables, the battery, the box/es, yada yada yada.

why do you want to do it?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Etap would be simpler than cables and batteries but is it worth it ? How many gear changes do you make on your TT bike ?

Plus your cables won't ever go flat.
  • Matthewfalle
    Agree 100% that eTap will be so much easier but it going top cost a fortune.

Its been said many on here that the main good thing they find about Di2 is the change form small to big ring. You'll do this once (if that) on a TT bike (if you don't always leave it in big ring anyway. Rear shifting just keep on top of your cable and its as good as di2.

Silly idea if you ask me. Keep the money and spend it a cycling holiday with loads of ho and blow time.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    you would need to buy everything apart from brakes and crank set. it'll cost a fortune.

its trickier than recabling because you have the cables, the battery, the box/es, yada yada yada.

What would you REALLY know about it? How many times have YOU done it?

On a TT bike, it’s simpler than anything. You’ll need the FD and RD, battery, TT shift switches (which you can put wherever you like - unlike conventional shifters - including satellite shifters), battery and cable system (junction boxes).

It’s a doddle to install. In fact you can connect and test it on your kitchen table before you even start the switch over to give you confidence it will operate fine on the bike.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Matthewfalle

What would you REALLY know about it? How many times have YOU done it?

On a TT bike, it’s simpler than anything. You’ll need the FD and RD, battery, TT shift switches (which you can put wherever you like - unlike conventional shifters - including satellite shifters), battery and cable system (junction boxes).

It’s a doddle to install. In fact you can connect and test it on your kitchen table before you even start the switch over to give you confidence it will operate fine on the bike.

mf has done di2 builds on 2 TT bikes, so probably twice asmany as you oh capitalisation man.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    edited August 2018
    On a TT bike, it’s simpler than anything. You’ll need the FD and RDū, battery, TT shift switches (which you can put wherever you like - unlike conventional shifters - including satellite shifters), battery and cable system (junction boxes).

so yes, everything apart from the brakes and cranks. just as mf said.

ffs, does it have to be this difficult?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • SHHH
    SHHH Posts: 22
    I know this is not directly answering your original question, but I also recommend Etap. I use my TT bike 90% of the year and shift hundreds of times per ride on varied roads, hills, constantly moving between breaks and TT bars. My bike had normal cable shifters before, but I really disliked not being able to shift from the brakes. With the Etap you get satellite shifters/blips that you can place anywhere you want. I also like the ability to stand up and shift, not sure how easy this is on di2 as I have never used it.

You'd need to buy the Aero upgrade kit and at least a front large Sram chainring. (Have had massive problems with non Sram rings). Total cost is in the region of £1100. Very easy to install compared to a cabled solution. No cables around the derailleurs and batteries can be swapped.
  • benjamess
    benjamess Posts: 159
    Cheers everyone, I think IF I do go with it I will go for the etap - however you do make valid points and it probably isn't worth the hassle and the cost on a bike that spend most of it's life riding dual carriageways :lol:
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    benjamess wrote:
    Cheers everyone, I think IF I do go with it I will go for the etap - however you do make valid points and it probably isn't worth the hassle and the cost on a bike that spend most of it's life riding dual carriageways :lol:

If you can afford it is. Its your money and stuff what MF or anyone else says about wasting your money on Di2 on a TT bike. Di2 is a doddle to fit and the myths of difficulty are there to deter the simplest of idiots. Honestly, there is no difficulty whatsoever with inserting the eTube cables, plugging things in to the junction boxes or indexing the gears.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    given the number of 16year old children that assemble this stuff up and down the country it cant be that hard.

mind you mostly they make a mess of things lololol
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Di2 on a TT bike is probably the most sensible place to put it, as said above you can but shifter blips on the aero bars but also on the base bars so you can shift from the brakes.