Whyte 905 vs Whyte 905

Alex34
Alex34 Posts: 24
edited August 2018 in MTB buying advice
I bought a 2018 Whyte 905 a couple months ago and only after 2 rides it developed a creaking noise whenever I put power through the crank. I took the bike back to the bike shop and after a few days they couldn't figure out where the noise was coming from. Whyte asked them to carry out a few tests on the frame and it was apparent the noise was coming from the frame.

In short the frame was sent back for a replacement but Whyte had no 2018 frames left and instead sent a whole new 2019 905. I picked it up today to find that the spec is slightly different from last year. The drive-train has changed from Sram GX 1x11 to the new Sram NX Eagle 1x12, BB changed from GXP to DUB, brakes from Level T to Guide T, and the front fork has changed but I'm not too sure to what. The original were Rockshox Revelation RC and these are Revelation RC as well but they are supposed to be different. They have the DebonAir feature but I'm sure the other one had it as well. Bike shop says they are upgraded and are supposed to be better.

I know the GX drive-train is better than NX but does the new Eagle variant equalise the difference, being the GX was 1x11?

The 2018 Whyte 905 cost £1700 and the 2019 lists for £1650. If this is an upgrade I would think a price drop would be pretty much impossible especially with the £ fluctuation over Brexit. Is this a real upgrade or should I be asking the bike shop to put my old components on the new frame instead?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I’d take the 12 over the 11, yes it’s a lower level but you can upgrade a component at a time as they wear rather than all at once. I’d also prefer the new brakes, and it sounds like the fork is much of a muchness.

As the asking price is about double what a bike costs to build the £50 difference could be more market positioning than any reflection of cost/value.

I’d be quite happy personally.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Alex34
    The Rookie wrote:
    I’d take the 12 over the 11, yes it’s a lower level but you can upgrade a component at a time as they wear rather than all at once. I’d also prefer the new brakes, and it sounds like the fork is much of a muchness.

As the asking price is about double what a bike costs to build the £50 difference could be more market positioning than any reflection of cost/value.

I’d be quite happy personally.

Thanks The Rookie. I did consider the possible "upgrade-ability" of the drivetrain but wasn't sure if it was compatible with the other higher Eagle components.

Just want to make sure I am at least getting what I originally paid for.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Orange have done what they should legally, and without any messing around, which is good.

I think you got a fair deal and agree with The Rookie.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Alex34
    cooldad wrote:
    Orange have done what they should legally, and without any messing around, which is good.

I think you got a fair deal and agree with The Rookie.

Thanks cooldad.
  • The Rookie
    Alex34 wrote:
    I did consider the possible "upgrade-ability" of the drivetrain but wasn't sure if it was compatible with the other higher Eagle components.
    Yes, you'll be able to upgrade on a part by part basis with the better Eagle 12 speed parts.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Sounds like a good warranty replacement to me, just ride the bike and change/upgrade to better once you've worn the parts out.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    My 12 speed Eagle chain is lasting much longer than any other chain I've ever had. Its looking like its going to have 6x the life.
    Be happy. :)
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Losing the GXP is a massive win :)
    Dave
  • david7m wrote:
    Dave

Nowt wrong with GXP...
  • david7m
    T0ffeeMan wrote:
    david7m wrote:
    Dave

Nowt wrong with GXP...

Maybe it just mine that total jizz then. Got one on my 2015 T130S - so far, 2 rebuilds and last month a complete new unit. Upgrading it after the winter.

Dave
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    As a standard I'd take GXP any day over creaky pressfits... but HT2 still reigns supreme for me. Not familiar with DUB though, so that's something for me to Poogle later :P

Anyway, I agree with the others and would be happy with the '19 model.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • joebristol
    joebristol Posts: 327
    The new bike sounds better. I think it’s got the inbetween revelation where it doesn’t have motion control, but it doesn’t have the full singing and dancing Pike charger damper - but lists a charger damper of some description. So the fork should be better. The new fork may have the new debonair airshaft - if so it’ll be more plush in the way it starts travelling as the negative spring is bigger.

The NX eagle has a bigger range than gx 11 speed - especially as the older bikes cassette is listed as 11-42 not 10-42. Makes me think the old one had a downgraded Nx cassette without the XD driver. So I’d be happy with NX eagle.

Guide T’s have more power than levels and are a step up too.

Dub is the new Sram B.B. design - it’s said to be better than gxp (which is often slated and bbs don’t seem to last well), but not proven yet.

Overall I’d be very pleased with the replacement you’ve been offered.
  • david7m
    +1 on being happy!
    Dave
  • Alex34
    Thanks for all the replies guys! Very much appreciated and feel much better about the whole ordeal now! Just realised the geo is slightly different as well but hopefully not noticeable or slightly better. Will see once I have a go this weekend.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    david7m wrote:
    Maybe it just mine that total jizz then. Got one on my 2015 T130S - so far, 2 rebuilds and last month a complete new unit. Upgrading it after the winter.

Dave

if it'll fit spend the extra and buy a hope one. what is gxp 24mm axle or that fancy dub thing 28.99 or something?
  • The Rookie
    Whyte's website is great for details...

2019 is 0.5 degree slacker HA (64.5 instead of 65)
    More upright seat tube (74.5 instead of 73)
    That gives a slightly longer wheelbase but chainstay length is unchanged, as is BB height and only tiny changes in ETT and standover.
    2018 fork isn't listed as Debonair so that's a plus, both are RC damping.

GXP is 24/22 while most are Shimano sized 24/24 but you can use a 1mm sleeve (I'm using one on my commuter and Hope supply it with the BB).
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Dunno about the rest of it, but those geometry changes are good news.
  • Alex34
    The Rookie wrote:
    Whyte's website is great for details...

2019 is 0.5 degree slacker HA (64.5 instead of 65)
    More upright seat tube (74.5 instead of 73)
    That gives a slightly longer wheelbase but chainstay length is unchanged, as is BB height and only tiny changes in ETT and standover.
    2018 fork isn't listed as Debonair so that's a plus, both are RC damping.

GXP is 24/22 while most are Shimano sized 24/24 but you can use a 1mm sleeve (I'm using one on my commuter and Hope supply it with the BB).

Yes slight changes. The reach seems to be the biggest difference but think that should be mitigated some with the more upright seat tube angle. I have a Large frame by the way but I'm 179cm so hench the concern with the changes.
  • The Rookie
    ETT has only changed by 3mm, headtube same length so cant see the reach can have changed much!
  • Alex34
    The Rookie wrote:
    ETT has only changed by 3mm, headtube same length so cant see the reach can have changed much!

Whyte has reach listed as 460.8 for the 2018 model and 476 for the 2019 (Large) but the TT is shorter on the 2019.
  • Alex34
    Never mind... I just realised they shortened the stem by 15mm on the 2019!