Buy or Build new bike

blackstar500
blackstar500 Posts: 139
edited August 2018 in Road buying advice
Hello All

I am thinking of buying a second bike and I have seen threads about building a bike ..

I want a bike that meets the following requirements

1. fast
2. under 10kg
3 Aluminum with carbon forks
4 Hydr Disc Brakes
5 clearance for up to 30 mm tire with full mudguards

Would I be able to build something with a budget of £1500 and should rather buy off the shelf

I am looking at the following framesets . -- Kineses or PILGRIMS DISC Framesets

off the shelves road Bikes

1.Planet X London Road
2. cube nuroad pro Bikes

Please make all recommendations . ...Many thanks

Comments

• ovi
    ovi Posts: 396
    Giant contend sl 1 disc about £900 ...Shimano 105 groupset.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    how about building a London Road to your spec?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • akh
    akh Posts: 206
    You'll struggle to come in under budget building up the Bowman or Kinesis with a hydraulic groupset. Which groupset are you thinking?

BTW, the Cube you've suggested weighs over 10kg if I've found the right one on their website.
  • Matthewfalle
    AKH wrote:
    You'll struggle to come in under budget building up the Bowman or Kinesis with a hydraulic groupset. Which groupset are you thinking?

BTW, the Cube you've suggested weighs over 10kg if I've found the right one on their website.

10kg? seriously? what, is it made out of pig iron?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Nuroad Pro is adventure bike, can take 45mm tyres. Not likely to be under £1k for a while, rather new.

Cube Attain series bikes have room for tyres at least 31mm wide, such as the 700*28 Conti GP4000 S2s I use.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Build it yourself. There’s nothing like building something from scratch for teaching yourself how it works and is put together. This comes in handy when you have to maintain and fix it at a later date as well. It saves a big chunk of cash in the long run too.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    The trouble with build yourself is that the hydraulic groupsets are still expensive outside of complete bikes. The trouble with adventure bikes is that they are built to the off-road ISO standard so have more material to pass the tests = weight. There aren't a lot of road bikes with >28c clearance.

The pinnacle dolomite might fit the bill well, they say 28 will fit with guards - I think 30 will from looking at them (but not 32s).
    Planet X London road if you like SRAM,
    Whyte Suffolk (frame looks a bit agricultural in my opinion though - especially the seat stays)
    Dolan RDX but not sure of the weight.
    Boarman CX team at 10 kilos with a SRAM 1x setup
    Ribble CGR (Weight a challenge- The frame weighs 1790grams.)
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Are 30mm tyres essential?
    If you were willing to have a bike with 28mm tyres and mudguards then it would open more speedy and lightweight options such as a Giant Defy:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/defy-advanced-2

28mm tyres, especially tubeless ones can be pretty plush and cancel out a lot of the road vibrations, if I remember rightly the Defy does come set up as tubeless.

An alternative would be a Domane ALR 4 Disc which has the Isospeed which again helps with the roadbuzz:

https://www.evanscycles.com/trek-domane ... e-EV283313
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561

Yep - £300 for frameset, £500 for a 105 5800 hydraulic group set - leaves you £700 for other bits and bobs and a half decent wheelset
  • AKH wrote:

105 or Rival 1 upwards .,... .. Not to fussed whether it is latest 105 or not
  • Build it yourself. There’s nothing like building something from scratch for teaching yourself how it works and is put together. This comes in handy when you have to maintain and fix it at a later date as well. It saves a big chunk of cash in the long run too.

I have been servicing my bikes for the last three years with help from this forum and youtube hence I think it should not be that difficult to put together a bike ... but it is important I don't exceed the £1500 price point
  • how about building a London Road to your spec?

Please help me ... :mrgreen:
  • Joe Totale wrote:
    If you were willing to have a bike with 28mm tyres and mudguards then it would open more speedy and lightweight options such as a Giant Defy:

28mm tyres, especially tubeless ones can be pretty plush and cancel out a lot of the road vibrations, if I remember rightly the Defy does come set up as tubeless.

An alternative would be a Domane ALR 4 Disc which has the Isospeed which again helps with the roadbuzz:

If 28 mm would absorb road shocks better and safer winter wet riding ..then I don't really mind ... Please recommend suitable bikes
  • Matthewfalle

physically or with a shopping list?

#acasistance

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561

As I've already said PX London Road frameset - £300

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXLONRO ... d-frameset

105 5800 hydraulic groupset - £500

https://www.evanscycles.com/shimano-105 ... dYQAvD_BwE

You'll need also bars, bar tape, stem, seatpost, seat clamp, saddle, pedals, tyres and wheelset. You may also need headset bearings as I don't think PX supply those and you may need gear cable inners and outers since I'm not sure if they are included in the Evans bundle. Have probably missed an odd item but that lot should be easily doable for your budget of £1500 total.

If you don't want to build it yourself approach an LBS in your area. However building the bike yourself will be an education and will give you insights into how things work and what maintenance jobs require. Also it's gives you a great feeling knowing you have personally put together he bike you are riding. Plenty of Youtube videos an how to tackle each bit of the build
  • Matthewfalle
    arlowood wrote:

As I've already said PX London Road frameset - £300

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXLONRO ... d-frameset

105 5800 hydraulic groupset - £500

https://www.evanscycles.com/shimano-105 ... dYQAvD_BwE

You'll need also bars, bar tape, stem, seatpost, seat clamp, saddle, pedals, tyres and wheelset. You may also need headset bearings as I don't think PX supply those and you may need gear cable inners and outers since I'm not sure if they are included in the Evans bundle. Have probably missed an odd item but that lot should be easily doable for your budget of £1500 total.

If you don't want to build it yourself approach an LBS in your area. However building the bike yourself will be an education and will give you insights into how things work and what maintenance jobs require. Also it's gives you a great feeling knowing you have personally put together he bike you are riding. Plenty of Youtube videos an how to tackle each bit of the build

this.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    A bit cheeky but...

I have a zesty lime London Road frameset in Large that is need of a new home. All yours for £100 (not including postage). This includes headset, stem, seatpost and handlebars.

Frame isn't perfect, few scuffs and marks you'd expect from a commuter, a couple of cross threaded bolts and a snapped barrel adjuster.

Let me know if your interested.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Just a quick pointer though, with the London Road you'll need Post Mount hydraulic brakes, not flat mount as linked above.
  • Matthewfalle
    Dinyull wrote:
    A bit cheeky but...

I have a zesty lime London Road frameset in Large that is need of a new home. All yours for £100 (not including postage). This includes headset, stem, seatpost and handlebars.

Frame isn't perfect, few scuffs and marks you'd expect from a commuter, a couple of cross threaded bolts and a snapped barrel adjuster.

Let me know if your interested.

now thats a deal.

buy it. buy it. buy it. buy it now. buy it. buy it. buy it. buy it now.

#buyit

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Ok guys
    Decided to go down the build route ... Looking at either a bowman or kinesis frameset and need help to identify the necessary parts

I need the following
    Carbon seatpost , stem ...handle bar .
    Disc wheels
    Seat
    Bar tape
    Bottom bracket

Thanks
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,219
    Joe Totale wrote:

You can't fit full length mudguards to any of the 2018 Defy models. Giant have made provision for mudguards and 28mm tyres on the new 2019 Defy frame though.
  • Matthewfalle
    Ok guys
    Decided to go down the build route ... Looking at either a bowman or kinesis frameset and need help to identify the necessary parts

I need the following
    Carbon seatpost , stem ...handle bar .
    Disc wheels
    Seat
    Bar tape
    Bottom bracket

Thanks

Bowman - huzzah! huzzah!

ritchey wcs is very good value in the sales for stem, post, bars

seat is completely your call

carbonzone/farsport for very good value wheels

handlebar tape - its all basically tge same, so so long as its black your choice

b/b to match whatevrr the bowman and your choice of crank needs

#bowmanrocks

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.