Rear derailleur setup

mitchgixer6
mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
edited August 2018 in Workshop
Hi all

Just finished building up a new winter frame (Dolan Preffisio). I'm having a slight issue with the rear derailleur. It's a shimano 105 11s, 5800.

Gears are shifting up and down the block no problem, but when in the lowest gear (biggest cog) it's wanting to jump down to the next gear. I've tried moving the limit screw. Even until its virtually all the way out, but still have the same result.

I've also tried moving the 'b' screw in and out but that's doesn't seem to help either.

Any ideas?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Needs more tension in the cable? Or limit screw needs adjusting.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    sounds like the limit screw needs adjusting but you say youve already done that. I'm not trying to be rude but are you sure you've adjusted the right one?

it doesnt sound lke a hanger alignment thing but worth checking if youre running out of ideas
  • Cheers folks

Definitely adjusted the limit screw, and it's definitely the correct one. Will try changing the cable tightness again
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    cable should just be snug - as tight as you would hug a freshly laundered lab coat if you didn't want tocrease it. no need to mash it.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    New frame so I wouldnt expect anything to be out of kilter.
    You do have 11 speed shifters?
    B screw is just a red herring.
    I'm saying this because a 10 speed Tiagra rear mech was NOT compatible with 105 10 shifters and I had to go and buy a 105 mech. Go figure Shimano logic on that 1.
    Just check if all your components are compatible.
  • Thanks again for the help folks.

I gave the cable tension a small tweak and that seems to have done the trick. Cable must have stretched a bit after the first few rides.

Cheers
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just for interest, cables don't stretch. It's actually the outers settling into the cable ends and mech. Just takes a bit of a mm.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools