Cheap Full Suspension bike

skippy_77
skippy_77 Posts: 35
edited August 2018 in MTB general
I've currently got a Specialized 2009 Rock Hopper Comp, nice bike and I love it, however I want to buy a full suspension bike under £800 ideally.

I've been looking at the Decathlon RockRider 540S (£499) and 560S (£699) models.

Does any one have these, I've read mixed reviews, or if any one could suggest other affordable models.

I can get these through the ride to work scheme but I don't want to go over board with getting an expensive bike that might get stolen as I currently share a house.

Also if any one knows of independant insurance for bikes that they could recommend.

Much appreciated.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I wouldn't, that frame is rather flexy which inhibits both its performance when the going gets tougher but also rear tyre selection as the tyre can buzz the stays when it flexes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • vulva65
    vulva65 Posts: 118
    if that's your budget and it can't budge then I'd recommend keeping an eye out for a second hand bike, you can usually tell if they've been looked after properly, and you'd get a half decent full sus for £800.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Generally, a full suss for less than £1000 isn't going to be that great.

Recongnised entry level FS bikes are usually Calibre Bossnut/Beastnut, Boardman or Vitus. I think the prices are creeping up a bit as well which doesn't help at that price point.

Other option is that 2018 bikes are going to be sold off cheap over the next couple of months.

For the few hundred quid extra, you will get a much better bike.

What size bike you after?
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • Thanks for the advise, I'm 6ft tall so large or 19"-20" frame is what I'm after.

I have been looking for second hand bikes, so will keep an eye out and I'm in no rush, I've started teh process for ride to work so I will wait for this to get started.

Regarding insurance for bikes any advise as I live in a house share.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Ref bike insurance there is currently a thread running on it:

viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=13094810
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • Still looking at the moment, I've seen VooDoo bikes and the Decathlon 100 S XC.

I'd like the frames to be able to take both 27.5" and 29" frames and with an option for the drop seat post perhaps later on.

I also want the rear suspension to be able to lock out as some of the trails I ride in Epping Forest are fairly smooth.

When are the 2018 going to be reduced in price?

cheers
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Keep a look out for a second hand Giant Anthem or Trance.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    skippy_77 wrote:
    I'd like the frames to be able to take both 27.5" and 29" frames and with an option for the drop seat post perhaps later on.
    . Surely you mean wheels?

But why would you want to swap wheel sizes? Gearing, BB height and handling will be affected although not in a major way.

In theory a 29 in frame and fork will take both wheel sizes, even 26 in.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    The Whyte G150 is designed to take 29" wheels of 27.5+ plus size wheels but that is on the basis that both have a similar circumference.

No reason why any 29" bike shouldnt take smaller wheels but why would you do something that it isnt designed for and wont do particularly well? 27.5+ is about the only justification I can maybe see but then you need to make sure the bike will fit the big, wide + tyres too.
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    I would definitely suggest going second hand... You will get more bike for your money. If you are set on new then Billycools suggestions would be the route I would take too.

Companies invest 1000s in research to get frames, geometry and components all working well. I definitely wouldn't be changing wheel size from what was factory unless you have very good reason!
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)