Best tubular tyres

2»

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    you will also make the hole in tube bigger so it wont work.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Anyone retubed an tubular? Brought some slightly worn corsa g+ but the bloke had put sealant in so bang went the tub on fitting. Seems an waste to chuck
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    mf hasn't but there is some bloke called the tub repairman or similar (google him) who has a good rep.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    I've ridden the Vittoria Corsa G+, the Schwalbe Ones and the earlier Schwalbe Ultremos. The Vittorias have a lovely ride feel but I don't think it makes them any better performing in any practical sense. I've had more punctures on the Vittorias than I ever used to have on the Schwalbes - don't know if that's just luck but the Schwalbes basically never seemed to puncture. Might have been riding them on smoother roads at higher pressures though, so perhaps not a fair comaprison.

The current Schwalbes (the Ones) have butyl tubes whereas the Ultremos are latex. Corsas are latex obviously.

I just carry a single spare ultra-compact pre-glued tufo track tub for punctures. A bit of a risk, but I have aesthetic issues with filling my lovely tubulars full of gunk. Yuk. I've never punctured more than once on a ride with tubulars yet, but I don't use them in the wet unless I'm caught out and I'd think twice before using them on a really long ride.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    ChippyK wrote:
    JGSI wrote:
    Am I the only idiot to commute on tubs?

Only on the middle of a heatwave, I got caught out in a heavy rain shower once on my PX carbon wheels. Never again.

why? just either get some decent pads or learn how to brake

#confusedagain

I’ve changed the pads to some Swisstop ones, but I’m not wanting to get caught out again
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    ChippyK wrote:
    ChippyK wrote:
    JGSI wrote:
    Am I the only idiot to commute on tubs?

Only on the middle of a heatwave, I got caught out in a heavy rain shower once on my PX carbon wheels. Never again.

why? just either get some decent pads or learn how to brake

#confusedagain

I’ve changed the pads to some Swisstop ones, but I’m not wanting to get caught out again

mf says that they will be fine with Swisssssstopsss - thats what he uses on his p/x 50s.

#nopointsavingforbest
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Corsa G+ 25c. I've changed all but one of my serious bikes to this tyre (from a wide variety of previous tubs, but Contis mostly). Don't whatever you do go for the Speed instead - it's a paper thin TT tyre and will last about three minutes on UK roads.

I've generally used Challenge Stradas in winter or on rougher roads (e.g. the Eroica) with good results, but they're a bit variable in quality. Some aren't all that round, and some have the tread come unglued from the carcass.

Conti Gatorskins ride like crap, but make a good training tub and/or smooth road tyre.

As others have said, keep a bottle of Tufo Extreme in your jersey pocket, but exercise caution prefilling with sealant. I've used Caffe Lattex in latex-tubed tubs before, and it has worked, but it will eventually kill the tyre.

All that said, I'm just in the process of ordering the parts to build up the wheels to replace all of my non-vintage tubular wheelsets with tubeless, apart from my TT wheels. Tubeless has lower rolling resistance and won't leave you stranded on those rides where you just seem to keep puncturing. It doesn't happen often, granted, but I've had it with those days where you blow the main tub, the sealant won't hold, you change to the spare tub, then that punctures and you just sit by the roadside and cry.

Sure, I won't be able to get anywhere close to the weight of the lightest set (784g the pair); I'll just have to eat a bit less the day before instead. At least I know I'll be able to ride home every time.

I've got (quick aside to count on my fingers) 8 wheelsets to replace, so it's a reasonably big deal. Still, bargains coming in the classifieds for those of you who've kept the faith.
  • neeb
    964Cup wrote:
    replace all of my non-vintage tubular wheelsets with tubeless, apart from my TT wheels.
    Why not them too? Wouldn't that be where the tiny difference in rolling resistance would be most useful and the weight increase least important?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I am keeping my vintage bikes on tubs too. it just seems right.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • neeb
    Should have been clearer - I meant why not the TT wheels?
  • 964cup
    neeb wrote:
    964Cup wrote:
    replace all of my non-vintage tubular wheelsets with tubeless, apart from my TT wheels.
    Why not them too? Wouldn't that be where the tiny difference in rolling resistance would be most useful and the weight increase least important?

They don't go fast, but they have to be right. You don't spend hours hunting for period correct finishing kit, then spoil it with clinchers. My retromod (currently a Zullo Vintage, soon to be replaced with a Colnago Master X-Light) will be having its Record/Nemesis wheels replaced with Zenith/P20 tubeless, though, as I actually ride that one fairly often.
  • neeb
    964Cup wrote:
    neeb wrote:
    964Cup wrote:

They don't go fast, but they have to be right. You don't spend hours hunting for period correct finishing kit, then spoil it with clinchers. My retromod (currently a Zullo Vintage, soon to be replaced with a Colnago Master X-Light) will be having its Record/Nemesis wheels replaced with Zenith/P20 tubeless, though, as I actually ride that one fairly often.
    Ha ha, no, thecycleclinic read my comment that way too (see above). I meant why not go with tubeless for your TT wheels?
  • 964cup
    neeb wrote:
    964Cup wrote:
    neeb wrote:
    964Cup wrote:

Ha ha, no, thecycleclinic read my comment that way too (see above). I meant why not go with tubeless for your TT wheels?
    Money, simply put. They're Mavic CXR80's, with the aero rim strip. I don't do enough TTs to justify building a super-deep tubeless set, and if you puncture on a TT it's over anyway. I'll have some 55+69mm tubeless on my S3; I'll see how those roll compared to the Mavics, and might use those on occasion instead.
  • velokev
    velokev Posts: 20
    I run conti sprinter gatorskins - while they feel great and have never managed punctured them make sure you never lock up your back wheel and skid. A car pulled out on me and caused me to lock up my back wheel - one 2-3m skid and the tyre was worn down to the kevlar.