Help for this newbie

Silvy23
Silvy23 Posts: 8
edited September 2018 in Road buying advice
Starting to get into riding. Been looking at all different makes, models etc. I was presented an opportunity to purchase a TT/TRI bike at a great price.... yay or nay for a first timer who will only be doing rides mainly for exercise. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Nay.
  • Silvy23
    Thank you.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Nay,start offwith a road bike
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Nay.
    That would be like buying a Caterham as a first car. :wink:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Silvy23
    Thank you for the input
  • Silvy23
    Any opinions on Cannondale CAAD 8 with the 105?
  • Silvy23 wrote:

I have one - its a bike I ride over the winter as you can get some mudguards on it. The stock wheels are heavy and rubbish but for a first bike you can pick one up second hand quite cheaply. They're a good 'starting point' imo and 105 works like a dream and is cheap to replace when wear and tear kicks in (although that'll take a while if you take care of it!)

Good luck.
  • Silvy23 wrote:

I have one - its a bike I ride over the winter as you can get some mudguards on it. The stock wheels are heavy and rubbish but for a first bike you can pick one up second hand quite cheaply. They're a good 'starting point' imo and 105 works like a dream and is cheap to replace when wear and tear kicks in (although that'll take a while if you take care of it!)

Good luck.
    Thank you
  • I missed out on the CAAD8 but have been looking at the Felt Z85....any opinions out there?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Felt z85 was well reviewed when it was launched. Is it second hand ?

And just to echo the advice about not getting the TT bike as your only bike. Not great at handling and too extreme for beginners.
  • No, it’s new old stock.