Swapping for compatible crankset

zinnkio
zinnkio Posts: 2
edited August 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys.

Basically I'm a complete novice when it comes to knowing compatibility for components. Just wanted to know what crankset would be compatible with my setup whether it be a double or single (thinking about going to 1x10). From what I gather as long as it's a 10speed and fits a gxp BB I should be alright? Also the front cogs are very worn and the back not so much, should I do the whole lot or will I be good to just change the front?

Here are the specs

http://2013.feltracing.com/France/2013/ ... Six-3.aspx

Any help would be much appreciated!

Zinnkio

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes, as long as its GXP (9, 10 or 11 will all work) it will be fine.

Or if it's a screw in GXP bottom bracket and not pressfit (it doesn't say which but easily spottable) you could swap to Shimano with a new BB.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Doubles apprently give a bad chain line for 1x conversions, obviously singles are better but triples are better than doubles.

I would run hollowtech ii bb, I just perfer them, more options out there and then many many more options for cranks.
  • t0ffeeman
    t0ffeeman Posts: 47
    edited August 2018
    I have the same crank on my Lappy 327, the SRAM S1000, I converted it to a 1x10 really easily. Just removed the old chainrings and put a 36t oval ring on, and removed all the front mech stuff, works a treat no issues with chain lines etc
    Also fitted a new Shimano 10 speed cassette, 11t-42t, so I still have the easy gears for any up hill stuff.

Phil
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    On my HT I swtiched from a GXP to Shimano Hollowtech II and went from a Truvativ crank to a Shimano XT.

As long as you get something that works for you, you'll be fine.

On my 1x on my FS I have 34T up front and 10-42 (SRAM) on the rear. Soon to be changed to 11-42 Shimano XT. Seems to be about right for going up/down stuff.
    "Ride, crash, replace"