2-3k New bike advice

newburb_1968
newburb_1968 Posts: 114
edited August 2018 in Road buying advice
hi, it’s the time to start looking for a new road bike after 5 yrs of use.
I currently have a Specialized Tarmac SL2, which has been great with 105 Shimano 10 speed.

5 yrs on and technology has moved on and now just starting to look and after some advice.
Upgrade wheels ? On current or new bike?

I do a few hills and the odd triathlon.

I’m thinking DI2 because they seem less hassle when changing gear and technology advance with the change rather than sticking with mechanical gears.
Weight or aero choices of bikes.
Aero wheels or not ?
Giant Propel, tarmac SL4, Canyon or another?

I’m thinking Giant propel with DI2 and aero wheels.
Though not too sure after being so pleased with my current bike whether it’s worth the change.

Just really looking for some steer and suggestions, on anyone who made similar decisions and what they had eventually gone for in this price range.
Many thanks

Comments

• nicleza
    nicleza Posts: 30
    I am also looking for a new bike. 3K £ is a bit out of my price range sadly. I think I will go for the Bianchi Aria. I've found it for 1700 pounds. If I had 3000 to send on a bike I would get a Canyon Aeroad. But top-notch frame, di2 and aero wheels for 3K, can you find that?

Happy shopping! :D
  • Shaun67
    Shaun67 Posts: 219
    I would look at a Giant Propel Advanced Disc if you’re think aero, I think Giant bikes are much under rated. I also look at the Cannondale CAAD 12 Dura Ace Disc, what a superb bike.
  • nusnus
    nusnus Posts: 2
    If you are not fixed on carbon, look at the Allez Sprint Comp. It rides a like the tarmac but is stiffer going up/down hill. Cheap base price with decent sets. There is a lot of room where you can spend the extra $$ to choose and pick which areas you want upgrades.
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    I’d give the Cannondale CAAD 12 Dura Ace some serious consideration.
  • A few good suggestions there that I haven’t considered and the Cannondale CAAD 12.
    Which you’ve mentioned twice, and Canyon keeps showing up also on other post within the forum.
    What would be the top 3 things I should look for now when getting a new bike disc brakes, Wheelset, frame, gears or weight ?
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    For me, the most important factor is to buy something that puts a huge smile on my face, that would be my number one. Second would come the frame, the rest are items that at some stage will be/need replacing, I think I’d look at disc brakes though !
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,636
    https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/rose-x-lite ... i2-2661675

Just in budget. Ultegra DI2 and hydro discs.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/colnago-c59- ... SwXSNbcFLp

Bang on budget and even has a threaded BB.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Just over budget
    https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Merida-Reacto- ... MIQAvD_BwE

But, why not buy a lower spec carbon frame with disc brakes and build it up to your spec. Easily doable with your budget. I bought my Reacto 4000 carbon from France (cheaper than the UK) stripped it of everything and sold the parts. It now has the new Ultegra Di2, Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon SL UST wheels, 3T ARX II stem and 3T Aeronova carbon bars with a Rotor 3D24 crankset with a P2M Type S power meter for less than it would cost for the Reacto 7000.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    buy a new bike for a reason rather than tech must have moved on. it has but not that much in frames. designs have chaned.

disc or rim? tubeless oe non tubeless tyres? is it for racing use.

what wrong with your current bike. If nothing then maybe just a new groupset and maybe wheels/tyres.
    Di2 is good but not essential. A well maintened mechanical groupset works just as well. I have just fitted a used campagnolo record groupset with fresh cables to an old Pinarello and it shift just like my EPS equipped bike when i rode it home last night.

new ultegra R8000 shifts so much better than 105 10 speed and if you use aftermarket cables you will get even better shifting. Shimano polymer coated cables work fine to begin with but they detoriate too quickly for my liking.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Nice problem to have! Doubt you can buy a bad bike with that sort of budget. You could buy the wrong one though. In order of priority I'd say:

1) It should look gorgeous (to you at least) Nobody should spend that kind of money on a bike that doesn't induce a little stirring in the trouser department.

2) It should fit you perfectly

3) It should be suitable for the kind of riding you plan to do on it.

Number 3 determines how much importance you'll place on wider rims, tubeless tyres, aero wheels / frames, disc brakes and electronic shifting.

I'm as happy now on my 11 year old alu framed 10 speed mechanical / rim braked bike as I was when it was new, and if I had £3k I'd spend it on a holiday :D
  • cycleclinic
    yes you can buy a bad road bike with £3000. you can buy one that does not fit for starters. plenty of people do.
  • buy a new bike for a reason rather than tech must have moved on. it has but not that much in frames. designs have chaned.

disc or rim? tubeless oe non tubeless tyres? is it for racing use.

what wrong with your current bike. If nothing then maybe just a new groupset and maybe wheels/tyres.
    Di2 is good but not essential. A well maintened mechanical groupset works just as well. I have just fitted a used campagnolo record groupset with fresh cables to an old Pinarello and it shift just like my EPS equipped bike when i rode it home last night.

new ultegra R8000 shifts so much better than 105 10 speed and if you use aftermarket cables you will get even better shifting. Shimano polymer coated cables work fine to begin with but they detoriate too quickly for my liking.

What aftermarket cables do you recommend? Mine came with polymer coated jagwire but the coating keeps gathering around the exit points by the ferrules. Can’t be much left in there by now!
  • cycleclinic
    Tranfil cables are pretty good. Jagwire non-polymer-coated cables are not bad either. Elvedes cables are very good. They have one which is very flexible and slick without coating.

Simple a good stainless steel cable is required. Of course, the best cables are made by Campagnolo. These have very high nickel and chromium contents meaning they are only weakly magnetic so they are hard to fish out with a magnet but they also barely corrode. You have to, of course, have a Campagnolo ergos to make use of them.

Compare a Campagnolo cable to anything else with a strong magnet and you will see what I mean.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I am sort of looking at this price range and have the following shortlist:-

Dolan Dr1

Kuota Kiral or Khydra

Bianchi intenso/infinito

Good deals can be had on sensa bikes @ merlin as well.
  • Tranfil cables are pretty good. Jagwire non-polymer-coated cables are not bad either. Elvedes cables are very good. They have one which is very flexible and slick without coating.

Simple a good stainless steel cable is required. Of course, the best cables are made by Campagnolo. These have very high nickel and chromium contents meaning they are only weakly magnetic so they are hard to fish out with a magnet but they also barely corrode. You have to, of course, have a Campagnolo ergos to make use of them.

Compare a Campagnolo cable to anything else with a strong magnet and you will see what I mean.

Thanks. Mercifully I have a Domane with a small hatch in the down tube so routing is a little easier. I’ve just replaced the inners but there was so much polymer coating coming out of the housing I decided to redo the lot.