Another newbie to road riding

Jdot
Jdot Posts: 2
edited October 2018 in Road beginners
Good morning.

This is my first post so I want to say thank you for the opportunity.

I am 52, 5'8",190 lbs. Never ridden a road bike but want to purchase, possibly tomorrow morning, either a Cannondale Alloy or CF 105 SE. 54 cm seems perfect for me. I will test ride both. My question though is, is the carbon version worth an additional $400. My current budget allows for up to $2K

Thanks!

Comments

• yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    Carbon yes, it worth it, lighter and more comfortable, but i am not sure about the size, i am 5'9 and i was looking for 52 size on cannondale.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    in the first instance sizing is more important than materials. 54cm sounds way too big for you at 5'8" unless you have the legs of Elle McPherson, the reach of Superman and the flexibility of an acrobat.
    Cycling weakly
  • Odd... Seems as though a lot of sites have a rough recommendation of around 54 for that height. I'm 5'7 and ride a specialized Dolce at that size at the moment although I probably could've gone a bit smaller. I'd look at last year's merckx's as prices are being slashed deeply.
  • Dunno what the other replyees think you typed, but cannondales sizing charts put you on a 54 frame size, but always best to try the size either side to be sure
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I'm your height, I ride 54cm road bikes (my fixie is 52 but that's deliberately short). Still, nothing beats sitting on the thing.

If you think you're going to stick at it, yes pay for a carbon frame. Smoother ride and lighter bike vs. my alu. frame.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Poster asked the question in August...
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    Poster asked the question in August.../quote]

Only another 7 weeks until Black Tag DEALS :wink:
  • skooter
    skooter Posts: 264
    If you have the time look for a light weight bike the lighter the better. As the other guys have said try the bike out before you buy.