Commuting Bicycle

westporter
westporter Posts: 4
edited August 2018 in Road buying advice
I ride an e-bicycle to commute on a daily basis (~150 miles with some two steep hills one way) each week. To be honest I am slightly regretting it since the motor assistance takes away the fun part of riding a bicycle but without assistance the bicycle feels awfully heavy to ride (I can still ride it to work and home but it will take too much time). I am considering getting a reasonably lightweight road bike for that purpose.

I am comparing two models and it is silly and hard to compare them because the prices are so different and they seem to fall in two different categories most people have:

1. Giant TCR Advanced 2 2018
2. Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 8.0

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Comments

• craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Seem like odd choices for a commuter. I'd want to be able to fit mudguards for a start if you're commuting year round?

What suggestions exactly are you looking for? They are both great bikes, perhaps not fit for your purposes unless you want to do leisure riding too?
  • Craigus89 wrote:
    Seem like odd choices for a commuter. I'd want to be able to fit mudguards for a start if you're commuting year round?

What suggestions exactly are you looking for? They are both great bikes, perhaps not fit for your purposes unless you want to do leisure riding too?

The part I live doesn't get much rain throughout the year so mudguards are not necessary for me. That's also the reason I am not looking at a disc bicycle.

Yes, leisure riding is important too. :)
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    those bikes seem fine to MF - just because you're commuting doesn't mean you have to have mudguards and ride a shed.

no need for discs either.

whats your budget?
    if it comes to those two can you get hold of them for a test ride?
    how about a Bowman Palace or a CAAD?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • those bikes seem fine to MF - just because you're commuting doesn't mean you have to have mudguards and ride a shed.

no need for discs either.

whats your budget?
    if it comes to those two can you get hold of them for a test ride?
    how about a Bowman Palace or a CAAD?

I am looking at bicycles between $1500 and $4000 (pretty wide range I know!). I heard people discussing geometry a lot. In terms of aggressiveness, how would you rank Giant TCR Advance, CANYON Ultimate CF, Bowman Palace, CAAD?