Scott Foil 30 2017 Power Meter

davidw007
davidw007 Posts: 37
edited August 2018 in Road buying advice
Looking to get a power meter for my Scott Foil and I'm trying to figure out the most cost effective way to do this.

I originally bought a 4iiii crank based meter but the pod caught on the rear brake. With this in mind I've ruled out any crank based system.

I've been looking at chainset based but compatibility seems quite confusing, my BB is a Shimano BB-RS500-PB and I think I'd need adapters or a new BB??

I've also been looking at the Powertap G3 built into DT Swiss wheels but I'd like to swap my wheels out without missing the power meter.

My final option was a pedal based system but it seemed to get quite expensive when looking at dual systems.

Any advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    edited August 2018
    Just my opinion but I wouldn't not buy a crank based powermeter just because it meant changing the bottom bracket. Especially as most of the reliable, tried, tested & proven powermeters are crank (Edit: By crank I mean SRM/Quarq/P2M, not stages, etc...) based.
  • poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    You can swap out the rear brake for something a bit slimmer apparently - I ran into this issue with my Foil too.

I ended up picking up a second hand PowerPod for it's ease of switching between bikes, and I have to say I've been really happy with it - however I appreciate most prefer strain gauges.

If I were in your position I'd go down the chainset route - it's a fairly standard BB on the Foil so you'll end up with something compatible, and you can offset the cost by selling your current chainset too.
  • Poptart242 wrote:
    You can swap out the rear brake for something a bit slimmer apparently - I ran into this issue with my Foil too.

I ended up picking up a second hand PowerPod for it's ease of switching between bikes, and I have to say I've been really happy with it - however I appreciate most prefer strain gauges.

If I were in your position I'd go down the chainset route - it's a fairly standard BB on the Foil so you'll end up with something compatible, and you can offset the cost by selling your current chainset too.

I've just been looking at the PowerPod, how have you found it?

I like the fact that I can easily switch it between bikes but I'm just a little worried about accuracy, especially when riding in the UK with poor road surfaces
  • poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    DavidW007 wrote:

I've just been looking at the PowerPod, how have you found it?

I like the fact that I can easily switch it between bikes but I'm just a little worried about accuracy, especially when riding in the UK with poor road surfaces

Really good, much better than I thought! I first set it up with a quick calibration ride and it was ok, but seemed to not like to report power when I was still pushing downhill. Surfaces were ok.

Since then I then calibrated using the software (which took about 10 actual minutes, and 20 minutes of me d!cking about with all the cool data it gives you). And it's been perfect.

Moved it from my Foil to my CAAD and it's been consistent too - just got to make sure it's at the right angle.

What impresses me most is that it learns as it goes - a couple of minutes of too high/low readings are always quickly corrected by it just sorting itself out, if it ever happens.