Another newbie with some questions......

Tricky tree
Tricky tree Posts: 9
edited February 2019 in Road beginners
Hello all.
Long term lurker and pleased to have finally bought my first road bike after many months spent debating what to go for.
I'm a 46 yo male and am fairly fit, running 3 or 4 times a week. A few of the guys at my running club cycle too and one day I found myself looking at a bike and thought: I want one.
So a couple of weeks ago I took the plunge and bought a Specialized Allez Sport, from the Newbury concept store.
Have to say I'm really enjoying the whole aesthetic thing too, not just seeing it as a way to keep fit. A whole sub culture that I have somehow missed am very much enjoying learning about.
Something nice about a shiny new bike to look after and keep in good order too.
Because of work and a holiday Saturday was the first chance I had to ride it properly.
I did a 12 mile loop and loved it. Bit of a sore backside but nothing else (have some decent bibshorts so I'm sure it will get better)

Couple of questions: I felt my use of the gears was abysmal. As the ride went on it got a bit better as I tried to anticipate what was coming. Should I be frequently changing gears in an effort to keep the legs turning at the same rate or should I try and stay in the gear and tough it out?
Had a problem when I tried to change on to the big ring at the front. As soon as I did the chain started skipping at the rear and sounded like something was rubbing. No problems on the smaller ring. I'm guessing something needs adjusting?
Do you all wave at each other? Acknowledged a couple of guys coming the other way and they did too. Waved at some old bloke who looked at me like I was mental. Just wondered what the norm was?
Quite fancy aiming for a sportive in October. I live in Reading. Any good ones to consider that aren't too far away?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Hi and welcome.

At a rough guide, legs should be spinning about 80-90 RPM, less so if out the saddle. No need to be totally scientific or use sensors or anything, but you'll soon get a feel for it. Sometimes a lower cadence is better when pushing hard up a hill out the saddle.

As your bike wears in, the cables will stretch a small amount, which may cause gears to not sit perfectly. Look up GCN or Parktools websites on how to adjust gears to stop them skipping. If you find that you are using the big gear at the front and the largest cog at the back, you may get some rubbing (same with small small). Try to avoid this as it's also bad for the chain so can cause premature wear or even a breakage which can mean a walk home. Usually new bikes come with a free once over after 6 months so ask to watch what the mechanic does if he lets you.

Some people wave, some don't. Around London and Surrey there are so many cyclists you'd never get anywhere if you wave to everyone. If someone waves or nods at me, I just raise my fingers to acknowledge them. No need to go nuts and don't feel offended if someone doesn't wave back.

Plenty of resources to look for events:
    uk cycling events
    british cycling
    audax uk (these may be much longer)

Thames Valley is a great place to ride. Enjoy!
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Hello all.
    Long term lurker and pleased to have finally bought my first road bike after many months spent debating what to go for.
    I'm a 46 yo male and am fairly fit, running 3 or 4 times a week. A few of the guys at my running club cycle too and one day I found myself looking at a bike and thought: I want one.
    So a couple of weeks ago I took the plunge and bought a Specialized Allez Sport, from the Newbury concept store.
    Have to say I'm really enjoying the whole aesthetic thing too, not just seeing it as a way to keep fit. A whole sub culture that I have somehow missed am very much enjoying learning about.
    Something nice about a shiny new bike to look after and keep in good order too.
    Because of work and a holiday Saturday was the first chance I had to ride it properly.
    I did a 12 mile loop and loved it. Bit of a sore backside but nothing else (have some decent bibshorts so I'm sure it will get better)

Couple of questions: I felt my use of the gears was abysmal. As the ride went on it got a bit better as I tried to anticipate what was coming. Should I be frequently changing gears in an effort to keep the legs turning at the same rate or should I try and stay in the gear and tough it out?
    Had a problem when I tried to change on to the big ring at the front. As soon as I did the chain started skipping at the rear and sounded like something was rubbing. No problems on the smaller ring. I'm guessing something needs adjusting?
    Do you all wave at each other? Acknowledged a couple of guys coming the other way and they did too. Waved at some old bloke who looked at me like I was mental. Just wondered what the norm was?
    Quite fancy aiming for a sportive in October. I live in Reading. Any good ones to consider that aren't too far away?
    Thanks in advance.

Benvenuto!

It is an interesting sub-culture. Lot's of heritage too.

Backside will strengthen up pretty quick, but you are right some decent bibs will help. You can go the full price Rapha/Assos route, or better VFM from the likes of Planet X or the like.

You will find gear selection will become more natural over time. generally, lots of easier revs is more efficient than harder power revs, but at the cost of speed. It's all a compromise. Sounds like you may need some adjustment if your gears are slipping, or it may be you are cross chaining, where you are selecting the extremities of front and rear cogs, eg. Big ring on front, biggest cog on rear. Having said that, most modern group sets allow all selections.

Nods or waves or acknowledgements are all a courtesy thing. I do it, but not everybody does.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • Follow Shirley Basso. Was gonna reply same. Done. Enjoy the rides.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Regarding skipping/rubbing gears, you should have been offered a 6 week service for the bike. Make sure you mention any issues or niggles when you take it in. It's worth learning a bit of bike maintenance for adjusting gears and keeping brakes adjusted. Lots of online videos, and your friends probably know a bit as well.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Only bit ill add to start with the sore backside if its from chaffing a bit of Chamois creme works wonder, if its just sore from sit bones, it'll get used to it, plus bib shorts help a lot.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,500
    Welcome.
    Bicycle gears work in basically the same way as car or motorbike gears - they take the engine power and transfer it to the wheels. On a bicycle, you are providing the engine power.
    So, on a car you might change down the gears as you approach and climb a hill - same on a bike.
    You'll get the hang of it, but as a beginner you should try to keep your legs turning as quickly as you feel comfortable with - 80rpm can feel fast if you've not done it before and it might take you a while to get there.
  • Just ride it for a bit and don’t think too deeply. Like running it takes a while
    For everything to come together. Do the 8am Saturday rides from banjo and get any issues sorted afterwards
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Just ride it for a bit and don’t think too deeply. Like running it takes a while
    For everything to come together. Do the 8am Saturday rides from banjo and get any issues sorted afterwards

Pretty much this - keep pedalling the knowledge will come - what works for A.N. Other might not be right for you. There are go faster gadgets galore - but always remember the most important part is the engine (You !)

I can see why you might wish to wait until October until tacking a sportive - but just remember no one is very fit this time of year - and they are usually pretty friendly events.....

.......Enjoy,.....