Forum home Road cycling forum The cake stop

Idris Elba Bond?

mfinmfin Posts: 6,724
edited August 2018 in The cake stop
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-45161852

Hope not, based purely on the fact he is a completely overrated and pretty much censored actor. All is films are "Idris Elba stars as Idris Elba in _________", or "Idris Elba stars as Idris Elba putting on a generic american accent in __________".

Surely they could get a better actor to do it?

Posts

  • Why not? I don’t think 007 needs a “good” actor, anyway.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • mfinmfin Posts: 6,724
    Why not? I don’t think 007 needs a “good” actor, anyway.

    Well it depends if the ambition is to improve on the standard or let it drop to the same as any old churned out action films.
  • cougiecougie Posts: 22,512
    He was great in Luther. I don't think they'll give it to him anyway. The gap between films now is 3 or 4 years and Elba would be over 50 for his debut. They'd not get too many out of him before he's showing his age.

    Happy to be proved wrong though.
  • imposter2.0imposter2.0 Posts: 11,032
    I actually don't care who does get the gig, but part of me hopes it isn't him, as I'm completely fed up with the media's apparent obsession, not to mention the 'Idris Elba media [email protected]' that will inevitably follow if he does get it...
  • mfinmfin Posts: 6,724
    cougie wrote:
    He was great in Luther.

    I agree Luther was reasonably good, it sort of suited him more than he tailored to it though, it's definitely the only decent thing he's ever done. I don't understand how anyone could rate him as an actor.
  • orraloonorraloon Posts: 7,539
    Would be good if only to observe the usual 'professional' media gobsh!tes and the below the line commentators getting all uppity about A Black Bond. Wonder what the bigliest Supreme Leader of the Entire Universe would have to dribble about that?
  • shirley_bassoshirley_basso Posts: 3,677
    A family member who is pretty heavily involved in the film industry says having asked him about it he says he's probably too old. Usually you'd need to do 2-3 films minimum and he's already 45 so that would be another 10 years.

    Not likely therefore in my view.
  • I really hope he gets the role, if for no other reason than watching thinly disguised racists lose their marbles over it will be fantastic entertainment.
  • DeVlaeminckDeVlaeminck Posts: 6,332
    He looks the part and I don't think he's too old - no idea what he's like as an actor think the only thing I've seen him in was a TV programme about cars or something. Really don't think his skin colour would be an issue either way in terms of people paying to watch the film, might even generate a bit of publicity and sell a few more tickets and certainly wouldn't do any harm to have a black actor in a huge role like that.
    AFC Mercia women - sign for us
  • awaveyawavey Posts: 2,368
    Roger Moore was 46 when he first starred in a Bond film, Dalton was 41, ok different eras and the films werent quite as action athletic as they have become in the Bourne era where stunt doubles no longer cut it, but age only really came in as a big issue when the gap became too noticeable between Bond and his Bond girl co stars, and lets face it even in the #metoo era, Hollywood studios still arent going to cast a 40-50 year old actress as their lead female co star in a Bond franchise film.

    in any case I thought Daniel Craig was still doing the next one due 2019, so it wouldnt be till 2021-22 till Idris could appear as Bond, when he'd be 50.

    i suspect the twitter thing is just he is in the next film as a double 00 agent, but not as Bond
  • ProssPross Posts: 25,424
    My guess is it will be someone who isn't even being spoken about yet with Craig having signed up for one more. I was originally expecting the call myself but accept I might be too old by time he does his final one.
  • sgt.peppersgt.pepper Posts: 300
    I really hope he gets the role, if for no other reason than watching thinly disguised racists lose their marbles over it will be fantastic entertainment.

    People went mental because Craig was going to be a 'blonde Bond.' I'll always maintain Brosnan was the best Bond, but just got unlucky with scripts.

    Personally I'd love to see Fassbender because I'm such a big fan of his, though he'd have to work on his accent as it can slip at times.
  • Not sure I agree with some of the comments about him being too old to be Bond. I'm sure Bond is getting older, slower and more gnarled in some of the more recent novels.
    “Jij bent niet van suiker gemaakt”
  • ddraverddraver Posts: 21,128
    It wouldnt have worked when Bond was fighting the Comrades from Mother Russia...

    "Vladamir! Vind ze British Secret Agent!"

    "Vot does he look like?"

    "only Black person in Moscow..."

    "ok, yes he's over zere in suit..."

    But that's not really the way Bond has been for a while now...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • imposter2.0imposter2.0 Posts: 11,032
    Tom Cruise is 55 - just saying..
  • bianchimoonbianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    James Bond is now 76 so Idris is far too young to play him!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • kingstongrahamkingstongraham Posts: 13,837
    ddraver wrote:
    It wouldnt have worked when Bond was fighting the Comrades from Mother Russia...

    "Vladamir! Vind ze British Secret Agent!"

    "Vot does he look like?"

    "only Black person in Moscow..."

    "ok, yes he's over zere in suit..."

    But that's not really the way Bond has been for a while now...

    To be fair, they could always have said "He's the British guy who tells you what his name is all the time".
  • ProssPross Posts: 25,424
    Imposter wrote:
    Tom Cruise is 55 - just saying..

    Yep, and the MI films are terrible - case closed! :lol:

    At least he isn't playing a character that's supposed to be 6' 5" and 18 stone in them though!
  • finchyfinchy Posts: 6,689
    A black 007? Probably wouldn't work well on the international market. Bond has always been a thoroughly traditional, highly conservative representation of the UK. This has become far more blatant in recent films, and if you asked people to picture Bond, not many would go for a black man. Probably not many people would bother with a white Shaft either. How about a black 008, shoot a few spin-off films and see how they work?
  • robert88robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Frankly I don't give a damn.

    I did try but was neither shaken nor stirred.
  • mr_goomr_goo Posts: 3,755
    Got no problem with Idris being new bond. My only question is how the writers do the origin story.
    Would it mean yet another reboot? We've already had two in the Daniel Craig era.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • rolf_frolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Got no problem with Idris being new bond. My only question is how the writers do the origin story.
    Would it mean yet another reboot? We've already had two in the Daniel Craig era.

    To be fair, the sooner the utter bollocks of the back story of the Craig era is forgotten the better.

    The great thing about the Idris Elba Bond idea is that the sanctimonious will get upset whether he gets it or not!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Vino'sGhostVino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    how would it sit with hollywood who now tantrum if a white guy plays a black part or a woman a transexual.
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 43,999
    Imagine my disappointment when I clicked on this thread only to find that I couldn't invest in Idris Elba.
    Whippet
    Bruiser
    Panzer
    Commuter

    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ballysmateballysmate Posts: 14,784
    how would it sit with hollywood who now tantrum if a white guy plays a black part or a woman a transexual.

    The Guardian, would you believe, on straight actors playing censored * roles.

    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... er-erasure


    *Their word, should the permanently offended on here should take offence.

    Disappointed to learn that perhaps all the actresses in lesbian porn may not have actually been real lesbians. :wink:
  • FishFishFishFish Posts: 2,152
    ballysmate wrote:

    Disappointed to learn that perhaps all the actresses in lesbian porn may not have actually been real lesbians. :wink:


    Are you a lesbian?
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

    jeez :roll:
  • ballysmateballysmate Posts: 14,784
    FishFish wrote:
    ballysmate wrote:

    Disappointed to learn that perhaps all the actresses in lesbian porn may not have actually been real lesbians. :wink:


    Are you a lesbian?

    I share many lesbian tendencies. :lol:
  • shortfallshortfall Posts: 2,967
    ballysmate wrote:
    how would it sit with hollywood who now tantrum if a white guy plays a black part or a woman a transexual.

    The Guardian, would you believe, on straight actors playing censored * roles.

    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... er-erasure


    *Their word, should the permanently offended on here should take offence.

    Disappointed to learn that perhaps all the actresses in lesbian porn may not have actually been real lesbians. :wink:

    Pah! Next you'll be telling us that porn actresses don't really enjoy taking c0cks the size of Pringle tins in their buttholes.
  • ballysmateballysmate Posts: 14,784
    shortfall wrote:
    ballysmate wrote:
    how would it sit with hollywood who now tantrum if a white guy plays a black part or a woman a transexual.

    The Guardian, would you believe, on straight actors playing censored * roles.

    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... er-erasure


    *Their word, should the permanently offended on here should take offence.

    Disappointed to learn that perhaps all the actresses in lesbian porn may not have actually been real lesbians. :wink:

    Pah! Next you'll be telling us that porn actresses don't really enjoy taking c0cks the size of Pringle tins in their buttholes.

    Just goes to show how good actresses they are. :lol:
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 43,999
    ballysmate wrote:
    shortfall wrote:
    ballysmate wrote:
    how would it sit with hollywood who now tantrum if a white guy plays a black part or a woman a transexual.

    The Guardian, would you believe, on straight actors playing censored * roles.

    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... er-erasure


    *Their word, should the permanently offended on here should take offence.

    Disappointed to learn that perhaps all the actresses in lesbian porn may not have actually been real lesbians. :wink:

    Pah! Next you'll be telling us that porn actresses don't really enjoy taking c0cks the size of Pringle tins in their buttholes.

    Just goes to show how good actresses they are. :lol:
    Look on the bright side, at least you and shortfall don't have to pay rip-off cinema prices to watch your favourite films :D
    Whippet
    Bruiser
    Panzer
    Commuter

    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
Sign In or Register to comment.