Defy Advanced Pro 2019 vs 2018

wadewole
wadewole Posts: 4
edited August 2018 in Road beginners
New to cycling from running marathons and looking at these 2 bikes as my options for a first road bike, got a $200 mountain bike from Target a few months ago since its been 25 years and I felt like I needed something to get comfortable again and it has also been handy practicing with clipless pedals the last 2 days.I think am ready to get something nice

I am wondering if the 2019 is worth the extra $500 as I already have a Vector 3 I plan to use as a power meter.

The main differences I see is

1) D-fuse handle bar
2)Power meter (sunk cost IMO that should not affect my decision)
3)Shifter (Ultegra Di2 hydraulic vs Ultegra Di2). Not sure what the difference is..(Did they simply rename this for 2019 or is there a real difference)
4)Crankset-50/34 vs 52/36 quite a few hills around here and the 50/34 maybe a better option for me..not 100% sure I'll be able to tell the difference.
5)Rims, Hubs, Spokes - Giant SLR 1 DBL WheelSystem vs. Giant SLR-1 Disc WheelSystem (Did they simply just rename this for 2019 or is there a real difference)

Appreciate all input, just wondering if any of the difference is worth the extra $500. Comparison link is below.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/compa ... 107-gc@681

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    The 52/36 will no doubt come with an 11/28 cassette so is roughly on a par with what the 50/34 will come with. The groupset differences is one is disc brake and the other is rim brake, hence the hydraulic.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    The 2019 Defy Advance Pro 0 is the new iteration of that model, new frame/fork with clearances for 28-32mm tyres, mudguard monts and that D-Fuse handle bar. Both bikes are hydraulic disc brake/ Di2 11sp and both have 11-34 cassettes, you can ask your LBS to swop out the crankset for a nominal if any charge. If you don't need/want larger than 25-28mm tyres and mudguards, save the money and get the 2018 model. Visit your LBS and compare the two in person and make sure you buy the correct size.
  • Thanks to all for your response. I rode the Defy Advanced 3 with Tiagra at my LBS and was good but nothing compared to my friends Defy Advanced SL 0.

I have actually narrowed it down to the 2018 Defy Advanced SL or the 2019 Domane SL 7 Disc. both are pretty much spec'd the same except the Giant uses their top-tier carbon (Advanced SL) vs 2nd-tier for Domane (OCV 500). I also wont be able get a ride with a good fit on the Giant due to the ISP. Also my LBS doesnt carry anything in that price range and will be driving 3hrs to check these out.

My decision will come down to a bike I can race with every once in a while once I am able to transfer some of my running fitness to cycling but I am still an endurance junkie.

If anyone has been on both which would you say is the batter race bike, or which responds better when its time to pick it up? I think based on my research the Domane is the more comfortable bike.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/defy-advanced-sl-1

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... Code=black
  • Got the 2018 Defy Advanced SL