Adjusting the derailleur

Kirkpatrick
Kirkpatrick Posts: 3
edited August 2018 in The workshop
Hi all,

I was gifted a new Muddyfox 100 bicycle in a box. It is destined for the charity shop, and out of courtesy I tried making it rideable:

The front gear selector cable is as tight as I can make it, the derailleur screws are adjusted to their outmost position, and all the moveable metal parts in the mechanism are touching. Despite this the front derailleur is not bearing on the outer ring, so I looked up the parts selected and pre-assembled by Muddyfox:

Top gear teeth 42T (https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/ ... 0-TS6.html)
Outer ring 48T (http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/compon ... -5691.html)

I am no cycling expert: When these two numbers do not match, does that mean the parts are not compatible? Is there something else I need to adjust?

Thanks!

P.S. OEM parts and retail parts could differ, but it certainly looks to me as though these are the components.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Does the cage move out over the outer ring, if not it’s soemthing in the setup ignoring any parts compatibility issue.

Is it definitely that model of Tourney and not the one designed for use with a 48t touring ring?

Guessing by adjusting screws that could never have any effect is not the best way.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The cage does not move out far enough to cover the outer ring. All the movable parts are maxed out. Pulling the cage with my hand does not budge it. What else could be adjusted in the setup?

That is a good question about the product. I have not yet found any numbers on the actual item!

The only picture on Shimano website that matches the item is TY500-TS6 (T42); but I have just now had a second look and Shimano lists a TY510-TS6 (T48) without picture. That is not very helpful but it does cast some doubt.

Is TS6 the model series, and TY5xx the specification? This online store uses the same picture for the TY510-TS6 (T48) so maybe all TS6 look the same?

https://www.internet-bikes.com/en/19987 ... ed-silver/
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Other things that can be adjusted are the height and angle of the derailleur on the seat tube (assume it is a banded mech). I have solved poor front shifting by simply lowering the FD a few mm.

That said, from what you have described it does sound like a parts bin mash-up.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It’s not a compatibility issue with the front mech, if it won’t reach the chainring that’s the problem.

That’s either that the cranks and B.B. are wrong giving the wrong chainline or the high stop is in the way.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.