Maxxi high roller 2 not holding air

foo606
foo606 Posts: 113
edited August 2018 in MTB general
Hi gang .Well new rim WTB i25 ust .Taped up ok . New tyre Maxxi high roller terra 3c .Its not holding air as it shouldc. It has sealant in but doesnt hold air pressure for more than 24 hours .It will lose 10 psi overnight.I must admit I never heard it pop when I inflated it with my compressor
.27 psi . Now Im not riding on it as Im still in the build process .Any advice be more than welcome .

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Inflate and stick the wheel in water to see where the leak is.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • foo606
    Ive deflated added more sealant and reinflated to 27psi .I have just immerced the tyre in water .Can see any signs of air bubbles .So fingers crossed .
    Thanks for taking the time to reply .
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    Also if it's still goes down pump it up and take it for a ride, go up and down curbs or a bit of off road, I have had a lot of tyres loose a little pressure but once ridden on they seem fine
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Pump it up to 40psi, do the sealant dance and leave it overnight.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    I changed tyres yesterday and used a comperessor to get it to about 45 psi and it `popped` about 5 or 6 times.

Added sealant, reinflated, sloshed the sealant around and left it overnight.

So far so good.

On another tyre where I was losing a little air, it turned out the valve was leaking ever so slightly due to some old sealant clogging it up.

Tubeless used to be a dark art to me, but now I've just about got my head around it. Sometimes you just need to bed the tyre in again and it works first time.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,449
    You should always inflate it until it pops. The pop (more of a bang really) is the beads slotting into place on the rims. As a sign that the tyre is properly mounted, look carefully at the tyre/bead interface. You should see a line of some kind on the tyrewall that is equidistant from the rim all the way around the tyre. The gap should be only 2-3 mm. If the line dips down, or even disappears under the rim, then it is not mounted properly, may leak, and will be out of balance.

I always put some ptfe tape (plumbers use it to seal threads on fittings) around the tubeless valve before inserting it into the rim. A few taps with a soft hammer and then tighten up the thread nut with pliers.

If you are changing sealant from latex types to non latex, remove as much of the old latex from the rim hook and the tyre bead. The two sealants don't seem to like each other. The tyre will seal, but it may take a while.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Ridden it yet? If not go ride it then see if it holds air
  • foo606
    cant ride it till bike is complete . but i will inflate to 40 psi see if it bangs or pops . Thanks guys .
  • foo606
    well its lost 2 psi since I inflated this afternoon and putting extra sealant in .
    I have just pumped it up to 45 no pops or bangs .A 3mm line all way round the tyre so I believe its correctly mounted . Will keep.an eye on the pressure over the next few days .Much obliged for all replies and help .
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Swirl the sealant round, if it’s all in the bottom it can’t seal wherever the leak is!

Can be a slightly porous sidewall or a wee defect in the bead.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or not taped properly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • foo606
    Taped fine as I put it in water could not see any air escape from rim or valve or spokes . Its loosing from somewhere .May be better when it been ridden on .
  • steve_sordy
    foo606 wrote:
    Taped fine as I put it in water could not see any air escape from rim or valve or spokes . Its loosing from somewhere .May be better when it been ridden on .

If the tyre is not a pukka tubeless tyre that has been designed with a non-porous sidewall, then it will leak air until the sealant has had time to do its job. The sealant can't do that if it is sat in a pool at the bottom of the tyre. It either needs taking for a ride or you need to be vigorous about it.

I have had non-tubeless tyres with over two dozen punctures that hold air very well. I don't expect perfection, but as long as it loses no more than 1 psi (maybe 2 psi at the most) over the course of a ride, then I'm happy. If it loses several psi while in the shed for several days I could care less as I always check the pressure and restore it before every ride.

As the sealant loses efficiency, either by drying up (latex), or leaking out through the two dozen punctures (non-latex), then you should notice that the pressure loss over several days increases slowly. This is your early warning system that you need to do something with the sealant. :)
  • foo606
    Its a tr maxxi and ust rim .
    and it its been sloshed about sealant is fresh and a brand new rim and tyre yet its still loosing air .
    As said it may be better after being ridden I m just suprised its not sealing .
  • steve_sordy
    foo606 wrote:
    ........... I m just suprised its not sealing .

Tubeless can be like that from time to time.

I once painted soapy water over an inflated tyre that was not showing bubbles under water. I was rewarded with thousands of mini volcanoes of white foam. The air was leaking through the tyre walls.

To be fair, the tyre was not even tubeless ready, and I wasn't using a latex sealant.
  • foo606
    Im using Goop rather than Stans .As I had a large bottle left from my previous bike. Not sure if this is the cause .
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Think i've about 200ml of Stans in my rear (new tape, new valve and new tyres).
    I wont be buying Stans again, and may go old skool bruv when it runs out.
    Dave
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    david7m wrote:
    Dave

Been using stans for last year and half, not issues here.

Could be like already mentioned porous sidewalls on the tyres?
  • steve_sordy
    foo606 wrote:
    Im using Goop rather than Stans .As I had a large bottle left from my previous bike. Not sure if this is the cause .

If it is not latex, then maybe. Latex is better at sealing porous tyre walls. But it has other problems.
  • steve_sordy
    david7m wrote:
    Dave

200ml! :shock:

I have never used more than 80 ml in my 2.2 x 27.5.

What on earth have you got, tractor tyres!
  • foo606
    Got about 100ml in mine seems to be holding air now .Its still pretty firm so will check the pressure .2.3 27.5 .
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    david7m wrote:
    Dave

200ml! :shock:

I have never used more than 80 ml in my 2.2 x 27.5.

What on earth have you got, tractor tyres!

Conti Trail King 27.5 2.2. 50ml wasnt enough, so i kept adding between rides until it stopped leaking. Maybe 200ml is an over exaggeration ;)
    Dave
  • The Rookie
    You say it wasn't enough, that would only be the case if it had all gone - if it was still sloshing around you didnt need to add any! I've never used more than the little Stans 'per tyre' bottle (2Oz/60ml) full in any tyre.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    The Rookie wrote:
    You say it wasn't enough, that would only be the case if it had all gone - if it was still sloshing around you didnt need to add any! I've never used more than the little Stans 'per tyre' bottle (2Oz/60ml) full in any tyre.

In my tyres I've got about 100ml in each i thought a little bit extra wont hurt.
  • The Rookie
    About 80g on the total bike weight......
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    The only problem you'll have with Stan's is operator error. Never had a problem in 7 years that wasn't that.

I use it on my MTB and Gravel bike, the other day I put a WTB Resolute 700c x 42mm on the Gravel it went on with 55psi and 45ml of Stan's a short 300 metre ride dropt it down to 24psi went for a 20km ride on an MTB route came back still up to pressure. I usually only put tyres on with 40-45psi but this tyre was still popping at that, in fact it still popped 4 times on my 300 metre ride.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • foo606
    Well good news its holding air .