Pinarrelo Stelvio

cycleclinic
cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
edited August 2018 in Your road bikes
Pinarello stelvio.

I bought this frame in May I think. The paint was good as is the chrome but sadly the decals had that Pinarello disease. So off to the painters it went.
The chrome has not been touched.

The bike is a 58cm with a 58cm top tube.

Build spec
Campagnolo Record 11 speed drive train with chorus shifters. A chorus 12-29t cassette is fitted. As the groupset is second hand the rings are 50/34t which is not my preference. I might go 1x on it. I have a 46t chainring from garbaruk for 5 bolt 135mm bcd. Maybe I'll get used to the lower gearing. I probably will. the single ring will be kept for something else.

Pedals are my favourite, Campagnolo Record Titanium.

Headset is a Campagnolo Record 1" threaded.

A Cinelli grammo 120mm quill stem is fitted. I actually could not use a Nitto Quill with these bars. The Grammo quill steem clamp can be opened more being Ti to get round the tight bend without marking the bar too badly. If I used a nitto quill the bars would have been marked or dmaged or I would have dmaged the stem trying to get them to fit which would have meant a quill stem adpater and a Nitto A head stem. This bike needs a quill stem and the Deda Murex is only other quill stem I could have used. But since I have a spare Grammo why not use it.
Bars are Nitto M106 NAS 42cm. the shape of these is perfect.

Seatpost is a Nitto S83. The saddle is something I had kicking around. I think it should be changed. I live with it for the time being as I have spent too much as it is lately.

Bar tape is Cinelli Volee.

The wheels I have had a while. HED C2 Belgium tubular rims laced to Campagnolo Record hubs 28H with Sapim Cx-rays spokes. Continental Competition 25mm tyres are glued on. I built this bike because the wheels were sitting about unused.

Bottle cage are from Nitto.

Total weight is 8.83kg but this is a 2kg steel frame, steel fork with parts picked not for being light.

The QR's will be changed. I think this bike needs a set of original Campagnolo Record quick releases or Royce Talent. I have a new set of silver Chorus QR's but these don't look fitting somehow.

I am looking forward to the first proper ride on it.

IMG_20180811_102046.jpg
IMG_20180811_102035.jpg
IMG_20180811_102022.jpg
IMG_20180811_102002.jpg
IMG_20180811_101958.jpg
IMG_20180811_101951.jpg
IMG_20180811_101946.jpg
IMG_20180811_101934.jpg
IMG_20180811_101927.jpg
IMG_20180811_101914.jpg
IMG_20180811_101903.jpg
http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.

Comments

• I will add to V68s understated response by understating a bit further. That is nice.
    (It’s bloody gorgeous)
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    I sat for a good while trying to capture the beauty of this. I will admit I do not get these classical bikes. Cringy skinny tubes, lugs do nothing for me and the sharp quill seems poised to impale abdomen on impact. I like the forks, though, as they do not have the usual horrible angular shoulders and the groupset is sweet.
  • cycleclinic
    I have many bikes with quill stems and two other with Cinelli Grammo quill stems and I have not impaled my self yet. I suspect I'll be O.K.

Back in the day welded frames were thought of as pony. A frame builder worth rested on the quality of the lugged frames. go back to the 60's, lugs were ornate and the more ornate the better the frame. This is the 90's though and lugs were simple again. Skinny tubed steel bikes, this Stelvio is the 5th, are a joy to ride and the if the position is right they are quick. This will be a quick bike. The Sannino is also a quick bike. once I put that back together it will be 7kg of early 90's skinny tubed steel. That bike will have a complete Campagnolo record 10 speed groupset.

You really don't get it do you Mamil.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    90's steel is my fav era for bikes as sleek looking frames no ugly lugs & 130mm rear spacing.
  • cycleclinic
    I have never been a fan of fancy lugs. I like functional beauty.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Well quills just look scary to me. People almost never really impale themselves on stems, apart for G.
    I am cool with people liking weird stuff, it takes all sorts, world would be boring otherwise.
  • cycleclinic
    why are they scary. If a quill scares you when it stationary how on earth do you manage to ride a bike at speed.

People rode with quill stems for 100 years if they were unsafe then they would not still be made would they.
  • Old school cool with modern functionality. Very nice build.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    A proper bike. Lovely stuff.

Chapeau.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    mamil314 wrote:
    I sat for a good while trying to capture the beauty of this. I will admit I do not get these classical bikes. Cringy skinny tubes, lugs do nothing for me and the sharp quill seems poised to impale abdomen on impact. I like the forks, though, as they do not have the usual horrible angular shoulders and the groupset is sweet.

Well there's no accounting for taste, but fashions do change and those "cringy skinny tubes" just happened to be what worked best with steel. Massive frame tubes and bottom brackets are currently in vogue but they'll probably look stupid to some people too in 10 years time too when the technology changes. Some designs are timeless and still look classy decades later. Think Spitfires, e type Jags, The Empire State Building and Manx Nortons. There's a few bikes from Pinarello and Pegoretti that belong in the same bracket.