When there’s no racing

Vino'sGhost
Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
edited August 2018 in Pro race
This place becomes silly. Not as silly as it is around tour time but still silly.

Does anyone actually ride a bike?

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    When is there no racing.
    Tour of Poland is on live at the moment.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    Webboo wrote:
    When is there no racing.
    And a decent finish it was.
  • Webboo wrote:
    When is there no racing.

There are currently 4 races being covered live this week and the same next week.
    He can't blame a lack of Sky either: they are racing in 2 of them.

So he must mean the lack of race spoiler threads to troll....
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

I'm trying for the first time in a couple of years

But then I'm not entirely sure what riding a bike has to do with being a fan of watching cycling racing
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • DeadCalm
    iainf72 wrote:

But then I'm not entirely sure what riding a bike has to do with being a fan of watching cycling racing
    I'm not entirely sure what your Ullrich thread has to do with being a fan of watching cycling racing either.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    DeadCalm wrote:
    I'm not entirely sure what your Ullrich thread has to do with being a fan of watching cycling racing either.

Well, it's about an ex-pro cyclist who was in the news.

I'm also a fan of scandal and gossip around the people involved in cycling.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • DeadCalm
    iainf72 wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

Well, it's about an ex-pro cyclist who was in the news.

I'm also a fan of scandal and gossip around the people involved in cycling.
    The guy clearly has some serious problems. That you are so obviously delighting in it, speaks volumes.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Point proven :(
  • DeadCalm wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Are you seriously suggesting that a pro race cycling forum should ignore what is a major story about someone who was a huge name in the sport?
    How weird.
    What doesn't belong in the forum are folks making jokes about the woman on the receiving end of his "problems".
    You appear to have no issue with that.
    Oh and btw, I haven't posted in said thread.

Friday not your favourite day, is it?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    Hmm, some people do it while there's racing on. I recalled the Froome salbutamol thread being quite active while the Tour was going on but hadn't realised how active. It grew by 20 odd pages. I started counting the posts that were made while the race was in progress but gave up at 150 by the 3rd stage. Of those about 50 were made by one poster, can anyone guess who it was?
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    This place becomes silly. Not as silly as it is around tour time but still silly.

I did 40k after work and I've just watched the final 20k of the Tour of Utah. Does that count?
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Are you seriously suggesting that a pro race cycling forum should ignore what is a major story about someone who was a huge name in the sport?
    How weird.
    What doesn't belong in the forum are folks making jokes about the woman on the receiving end of his "problems".
    You appear to have no issue with that.
    Oh and btw, I haven't posted in said thread.

Friday not your favourite day, is it?
    I'm not saying that it should be completely ignored but I do think the tone of some of the comments on the thread are distastefully prurient. I also think it's a sad reflection on the forum that, whilst the actual cycling at the Tour de Pologne and Vuelta a Burgos have attracted barely any comment, that thread runs to 5 pages.

How on earth can you suggest that I have no problem with jokes about the victim? I absolutely do not think the jokes about the woman were remotely appropriate. Vino and DeVlaeminck had already been called out on that when I read the thread. No need for me to add to the condemnation.

I have no idea what point you're making with the bit I've highlighted. How has this become about you?

Finally, every day is a good day in Paradise.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    This thread is so meta.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    DeadCalm wrote:
    How on earth can you suggest that I have no problem with jokes about the victim? I absolutely do not think the jokes about the woman were remotely appropriate. Vino and DeVlaeminck had already been called out on that when I read the thread. No need for me to add to the condemnation.

I have no idea what point you're making with the bit I've highlighted. How has this become about you?

Finally, every day is a good day in Paradise.

I didn't make any joke about the woman - I made a joke about the subject matter of the thread which you may find distasteful but it wasn't aimed at the woman at all it was aimed at myself and others who were saying that Jan Ulrich had always come across OK and we should give him the benefit of the doubt. People joke about all kinds of serious subjects without actually making fun of the victims.

As for people making fun of Ulrich - I don't think the seriousness of his mental state was as obvious earlier in that thread than it became once the video was published.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Vino'sGhost

I did 40k after work and I've just watched the final 20k of the Tour of Utah. Does that count?

Def counts, but it’s almost a triathlon :)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Craigus89 wrote:
    This thread is so meta.

People trolling the trolling thread started by our known troll

giphy.gif
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • There’s always something somewhere. Mountain biking both XC and downhill. Velodrome races and cyclocross are a good watch when there’s nothing happening on the road racing side of things. The problem is that a lot of people only bother with road racing and tours. They forget there’s more to to cycling. There’s always the tour of California if there’s anything left of California by the time it happens.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    There’s always something somewhere. Mountain biking both XC and downhill. Velodrome races and cyclocross are a good watch when there’s nothing happening on the road racing side of things. The problem is that a lot of people only bother with road racing and tours. They forget there’s more to to cycling. There’s always the tour of California if there’s anything left of California by the time it happens.

I can watch a bit of track cycling every now and again, but none of the bike sports you listed is any thing like road racing. If you like all that other stuff then fine, good for you, but you might as well be saying "there's always football, rugby, cricket, darts, snooker...." The fact they're all done on bicycles is about as relevant as telling a football fan they can watch shot-put in the off season, because both sports are done largely standing up and using a sphere of some sort. ;-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    is there much of an off season now though ? racing starts with TDU in Jan and then goes on until November. Only really one month off when you can rewatch some of the races again.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    sherer wrote:
    is there much of an off season now though ? racing starts with TDU in Jan and then goes on until November. Only really one month off when you can rewatch some of the races again.

The season starts with MSR. TDU and all those Arabian races are just cycling substitute. They're the Quorn of sport.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    The season starts with MSR.
    :?: Het Niewsblad surely :?:
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    OHN-PR

Everything else is just a club holiday
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    #CrossIsComing
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    RichN95 wrote:
    The season starts with MSR.
    :?: Het Niewsblad surely :?:

giphy.gif
    ddraver wrote:
    OHN-PR

Everything else is just a club holiday

giphy.gif
  • AndyRAC wrote:
    #CrossIsComing

Van der Poel and Van Aert already kicking it off on 6 hour smooth courses
  • This is a time built into the season to allow for the re-ordering of cheese, beer and wine. And to attend 'social functions'.
    A seasonal re plumping of the pillows
  • Vino'sGhost
    a seasonal re plumping of the stomach more like :)
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    AndyRAC wrote:
    #CrossIsComing
    yep . real cycling starts in september
  • tim000 wrote:
    AndyRAC wrote:
    #CrossIsComing
    yep . real cycling starts in september

I love the cross season.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Ive discovered an anti dote to the naff racing.

All bikes cleaned, maintained and tools tidied. I cant ride all the time.