2000 Pinarello Angliru or 1999 Trek 5500

Ghostof309
Ghostof309 Posts: 5
edited August 2018 in Road buying advice
First road bike purchase here. I am looking at two at the moment. First is a Pinarello Angliru, year 2000 for $600 and the other is the US Postal service edition of the 1999 Trek 5500 for $400. Both in great condition. Looking for opinions. Thanks!

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    If you ignore the lance armstong associations the Trek is a lovely bike however make sure it is not unbonding anywhere, like the BB shell. Trek had that sort mostly by 1999 but it work a check.

A pinarello is always a good buy.

Buy based on frame geometry and condition.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • If you ignore the lance armstong associations the Trek is a lovely bike however make sure it is not unbonding anywhere, like the BB shell. Trek had that sort mostly by 1999 but it work a check.

A pinarello is always a good buy.

Buy based on frame geometry and condition.

Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated.
  • Anyone have an idea on specs (total weight) on the 2000 Pinarello Angliru? I’ve searched the internet and can’t find anything.
  • cycleclinic
    spec and weight on an 18 year old bike? it may have been bought as a frame set and built up so who knows when buying a bike of this age your buying the frame and fork. what ever components come with it i assume are trash as seller desicriptions cannot be relied upon. therefore if anything is useable its a bonus.

If you buy either of these bikes, your best off stripping them down and rebuilding. then again i buy second hand bikes not for something cheap but to get something i want and that means fitting the components I want.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    why are thecomponents going to be trash? bike could well have been bought by someone who cares for stuff.

mf has some immaculate old stuff.

not everyone is a chimp.

they are both in great condition, no need to denigrate.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cycleclinic
    I did not say they will be but if I buy a complete bike I assume they will be. When buying an old bike I am buying the frame. I often don't want the components on it anyway so there condition is irrelevant. I trust photos and I can see the condition of the frame. I cannot see from photos, if the various parts work, condition of the hub internals e.t.c do I assume I will be changing all of that. That means no surprises and I have an appropriate budget. That's does not mean I assume the seller is a chimp and trying to have me on. Do what I advise is quite different.

The last complete second hand bike I bought was working fine when I got it but the wheels were terrible in oh so many ways. The da 7700 shifters failed after the first few rides. The sellers description was fine and I don't blame the seller at all in any way. So I got a frame and fork and some 7700 cranks and mechs. That's fine, I paid really what the frame and fork were worth and had set aside funds for a complete groupset and for new wheels.

Unless you can inspect the bike prior to buying I find this is the best way of buying.

Why are you taking this personally. The op makes no mention of who the seller is. How would I know and also I have never met you, seen the bikes so I am just saying how I would approach it.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    but he has seen the bikes and MF has seen his bikes so both of them know the condition of their bikes.

you can't make generalisations based on your personal buying experiences that seem to have not gone too well.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I appreciate everyone’s input. Like I said, I am new to this so I will take all of the info I can get. However I have passed on the Trek and am now looking at a Cannondale six 13 (2008) and the Pinarello.