Trek Madone 9 Sram eTap

2»

Comments

• SJH76
    SJH76 Posts: 191
    IMG_20180925_222839_zpsxiwjvalb.jpg

Here is saddle now with the exact same measurements as the previous seat post config. It is clearly higher than the stem and bars. Maybe not much but I can't change my body shape. It maybe nice and photogenic for a bike ridden by someone around 5'9" but I can't change my height. There is a good bit of play below the seat post height - which is actually quite restricted in its adjustment range as those who know this bike will agree. The pic I posted with the saddle higher is actually at its max so that shows how little play there is.
  • Everyone who owns the trek bloody love it (which is all that matters) but I have to say I am not a fan of the looks and the very curved top tube. Even people who have a massive saddle to bar drop appear to ride with them level on this bike.

Isn't it a pig to fettle at home?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Team GB riders both male and female have had unprecedented success on Cervelo bikes and they are continuing with them for good reason.

Assuming you're talking about the track team, not sure if Cervelo have managed to find a way to stop the T5GB from breaking yet? Meanwhile, a lot of Team GB have been persevering with the old UKSI frames. Either way, I'm not at all convinced Team GB's 'unprecedented' success is entirely down to Cervelo (the T5GBs have historically spent more time being repaired than being ridden) - I would argue that most - if not all - of the team's success has been down to coaching and rider development. As someone once said "it's not about the bike"...
  • SJH76
    Everyone who owns the trek bloody love it (which is all that matters) but I have to say I am not a fan of the looks and the very curved top tube. Even people who have a massive saddle to bar drop appear to ride with them level on this bike.

Isn't it a pig to fettle at home?

The cable wiring is a nightmare. That was why I went eTap. The rear brake is surprisingly essy to thread but the front brake and theme whole integrated stem assembly is the worst thing I have ever worked on. It took over an hour just to feed the front brake cable through without and snags or kinks in the outer cable. The spacers though are brilliant design as they are split so can be removed without taking it all apart again.
  • SJH76 wrote:

Here is saddle now with the exact same measurements as the previous seat post config. It is clearly higher than the stem and bars. Maybe not much but I can't change my body shape. It maybe nice and photogenic for a bike ridden by someone around 5'9" but I can't change my height. There is a good bit of play below the seat post height - which is actually quite restricted in its adjustment range as those who know this bike will agree. The pic I posted with the saddle higher is actually at its max so that shows how little play there is.

Can't tell if troll or serious. Surely that's level? Kudos for the blanket Cervelo hate too, that's a good one.

With regard to the other poster, the curved top tube thing seems far less pronounced on >54cm bikes and so they look so much better it's untrue.

For reference, some super ugly, rides like a dog, actual saddle/bar drop:

ZIeZAS1.jpg
    Blog on first season road racing http://www.twhatley.com/
  • SJH76
    whatleytom wrote:
    SJH76 wrote:

Can't tell if troll or serious. Surely that's level? Kudos for the blanket Cervelo hate too, that's a good one.

With regard to the other poster, the curved top tube thing seems far less pronounced on >54cm bikes and so they look so much better it's untrue.

If you look the tape measure is at a slight tilt. I didn't have anything stable to raise it perfectly level. The 54 is perfectly straight on the top tube and probably looks the least pleasing. The H1 model is obviously much better looking but thats a different geometry at the front. You talk about trolling I think there is some going on but it's not from me.
  • SJH76
    whatleytom wrote:

ZIeZAS1.jpg

I did mention S5 - that is not an S5. I actually quite like most of the range. I used to like the old S3 before its current colour schemes ruined it's look

Also, you are obviously much taller than me so you will obviously haveva higher saddle. Since the wheel height restricts how low I can get a front end ANY bigger bike is going to look better but that doesn't make it a better fit. You have your stem slammed. That may look nice but it could be completely screwing up your position. There is a professional biker fitter around somewhere ask him. I'm sure he'll tell you

Maybe he'll also pick you up on your shifters position
  • SJH76 wrote:
    whatleytom wrote:

ZIeZAS1.jpg

I did mention S5 - that is not an S5. I actually quite like most of the range. I used to like the old S3 before its current colour schemes ruined it's look

Also, you are obviously much taller than me so you will obviously haveva higher saddle. Since the wheel height restricts how low I can get a front end ANY bigger bike is going to look better but that doesn't make it a better fit. You have your stem slammed. That may look nice but it could be completely screwing up your position. There is a professional biker fitter around somewhere ask him. I'm sure he'll tell you

SJH76 you are constantly contradicting yourself! Read your own posts and you’ll see that you DID slag off all Cervelo not just the S5 and now apparently you quite like some of them.
    No I wasn’t talking about the GB Track team alone. You are so wrong about the T series track bikes! That is such old news and dates back several years to the (very) old ones. Anything from 2012 onwards was sorted and is now used by top teams/riders all around the world. Current facts are always good aren’t they! You might want to take this up with a certain Chris Boardman who has been a key partner and equipment advisor to Team GB for many years and he certainly wouldn’t allow anything to limit the teams performance in any way.
    The slammed stem in the other guys picture of the R5 may well be like that because it is the correct bike fit position for him! He is obviously taller than you but he has the correct size frame to give home a drop to the bars, unlike yours which has a frame size too big for you resulting in zero drop. Average ‘drop’ for non racing cyclists is 5.5cm (55mm) but for guys racing or more sporty riding it is around 10cm with some around 12-15cm in order to get a good aero race position.
  • SJH76
    SJH76 wrote:
    whatleytom wrote:

ZIeZAS1.jpg

SJH76 you are constantly contradicting yourself! Read your own posts and you’ll see that you DID slag off all Cervelo not just the S5 and now apparently you quite like some of them.
    No I wasn’t talking about the GB Track team alone. You are so wrong about the T series track bikes! That is such old news and dates back several years to the (very) old ones. Anything from 2012 onwards was sorted and is now used by top teams/riders all around the world. Current facts are always good aren’t they! You might want to take this up with a certain Chris Boardman who has been a key partner and equipment advisor to Team GB for many years and he certainly wouldn’t allow anything to limit the teams performance in any way.
    The slammed stem in the other guys picture of the R5 may well be like that because it is the correct bike fit position for him! He is obviously taller than you but he has the correct size frame to give home a drop to the bars, unlike yours which has a frame size too big for you resulting in zero drop. Average ‘drop’ for non racing cyclists is 5.5cm (55mm) but for guys racing or more sporty riding it is around 10cm with some around 12-15cm in order to get a good aero race position.

I wasn't the one picking apart Cervelo track bikes. That was someone else. And from the beginning I said the S5 specifically. If you thought I meant all Cervelo, fine I retract that bit. I still maintain the Cervelo S5 which has barely changed in 6 years is not that great. And you must agree a talker rider with a bigger bike will obviously have a higher seat position. The front wheel is the same height no matter what bike you buy with 700cc wheels. My height means my saddle height is going to be the same no matter what bike I buy or frame size. I went off Treks website and on their advice bought the frame size they recommended. I'm sure they know better than you.

And as for the pic above, the shifters are in a worse position than the one you picked me up on which I had changed afterwards. Tbh, you're just ready to pick holes and have no justification. If you don't like the bike, that's fine. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea. I like it, it's comfortable to ride, I don't feel compromised or that it's too big. I'm happy with it. If you don't agree then tough.

As for your stats on drop. If you look at Caleb Ewan's bike, his bars are not much lower than his saddle and do take into account his rear wheel is elevated on a stand. If you dropped it to the floor it would still be not much different. The top of his hoods are higher than his saddle too of you look at it that way.
  • SJH76
    Screenshot_20180926-0815032_zpsowc0xsra.png

Here is Ewan's bike edited with both wheels to be level (rear not elevated) are you telling me his bars are 5.5cm lower?
  • SJH76
    IMG_20180918_2111052_zpsnyk6uql8.jpg

Here is my bike, with the saddle at its highest possible position as you can see from the slider position at the rear of the seat post. (You work on them apparently so this you will agree) even here with a cut steerer there is not 5.5cm height difference from saddle to top of bars. Maybe you should go speak to Trek about it.
  • imposter2.0
    You are so wrong about the T series track bikes! That is such old news and dates back several years to the (very) old ones. Anything from 2012 onwards was sorted and is now used by top teams/riders all around the world. Current facts are always good aren’t they! You might want to take this up with a certain Chris Boardman who has been a key partner and equipment advisor to Team GB for many years and he certainly wouldn’t allow anything to limit the teams performance in any way.

Current facts are great - you should try them.. ;)

You say it was all sorted by 2012 - here's a link to a story about broken T5s in 2017...

https://road.cc/content/news/220200-tea ... dels-break

I don't believe Team GB got the revised frames until late 2017, frames which were then subsequently used at the worlds earlier in 2018, as this story seems to confirm..

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/23803 ... components

But I'll certainly take it up with Chris Boardman if I ever get the opportunity.. :roll:
  • SJH76
    Screenshot_20180926-084227_zpsap0qjuq4.png

From Treks website. I am 168cm or 5'6" tall. Well within and actually close the the top end of their chart for the 52cm frame.
  • imposter2.0
    SJH - you should feel the need to justify yourself like this, just because someone who proclaims to be a 'bike fitter' doesn't like how it looks. If you are comfortable on it, then that's all that matters.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Imposter wrote:
    SJH - you shouldn't feel the need to justify yourself like this, just because someone who proclaims to be a 'bike fitter' doesn't like how it looks. If you are comfortable on it, then that's all that matters.

This.
    You have a lovely bike and so long as YOU find the set up/ position comfortable then s0d what anyone else thinks.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    As per Imposter and redivision. Love it and ride it.
  • imposter2.0
    redvision wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    SJH - you shouldn't feel the need to justify yourself like this, just because someone who proclaims to be a 'bike fitter' doesn't like how it looks. If you are comfortable on it, then that's all that matters.

This.
    You have a lovely bike and so long as YOU find the set up/ position comfortable then s0d what anyone else thinks.

Dammit - yes, I (obviously) meant to type 'shouldn't'...apologies...
  • the thing with bike fitters is they are all absoloutley certain theyre right and yet...... visit 3 bike fitters one after another and youll get different answers.

Thats my experience anyway and two of them used the same fitting system lololol.