Help with my first Bike

MichalisLaz
MichalisLaz Posts: 3
edited August 2018 in Road beginners
Hello community,

i am a new cyclist and i would like to ask some suggestions about my new bike. I used to ride a cheap trekking / hybrid that did the job very well for what it was. Now i want to elevate thing a bit. I am looking for a bike around 800 euros give or take and sisnce i am not sure about sizes and fits i try to test any bike i find in local shops ( so online shopping is kinda out of the game). I will be using the bike for commute and casual riding in the city ( 2 hours tops per time). Where i live there are a lot of cobblestone roads and the bike lane is not always asphalt so i was thinking to diverge from a road bike, since i am also a big guy.

I have tried only fuji bikes since these are what the dealers had , plus some in-house brands.

I tried the Jari Steel 2.5 which was 850 and felt nice and comfy, also quite heavy. Also another gravel bike from a local store's brand which was 800 but having a tier or 2 higher components in the shimano grouptier and aluminium frame.

I also tried the Absolute 1.7 with aluminium frame and Shimano Altus and lighter that the latter. It came at 650 euros and felt like my previous bike concerning the stance, so it felt like home. The Absolute makes more sense in terms of value for money but i am concerned about the thin tires in the cobblestone and more importantly i am thinking about the Jari all the time. There was also the Absolute 2.1 at a lower end and the 1.3 with a carbon fork and Shimano Sora and a few kilos off at 900 euros.

I do not know if the Jari is worth the money for the specs, and i should be looking for hybrid bike for city riding. Please let me know what you think. Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    If you have a Decathlon where you live then take a look at their range. Some good bikes at good prices. You may find a cyclocross bike is what you need given the terrain you describe.
  • Thank you for the fast reply.

I do have a decathlon close by actually, but at least at the website the list only road bikes ( Triban 500-520-540 ect.)

Do you have any experience with them or with the fuji bikes i listed?

I do not know the B'Twin brand but i have read flying revies about the 540 model.

Cheers
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Sorry, no experience with Fuji, we don't see many in the UK. Had a look at Decathlon in Cambridge and they have some decent bikes. Not sure if they do anything cross based though. If its a cross bike you decide on I have a Cannondale Caad X which I can recommend without reservation. Its been excellent as a commuter and winter bike. You can fit big, wide tyres, mudguards and a rack if that's what you are after.