Any Norco Fans? Looking at the Charger 1

Kirwan
Kirwan Posts: 15
edited September 2018 in MTB buying advice
Hi new member here.

I’m looking at replacing my aging and rusting Carerra and getting something new from Evans. It has to be Evans as they part ex mine for £75 and I’ll get a 50% cashback through my health insurance policy up to the first £600.

I know the default answer in this £ range seems to be a Bizango from Halfords but even doing that through cycle2work I think the Evans deal is better.

I’m looking at the Norco. I’m set on single chain ring for simplicity and the use will be light off-road - tow paths, field and woods etc. With a bit of road/footways with kids and to get to off-road locations.

https://www.evanscycles.com/norco-charg ... e-EV306501

Any thoughts from more experienced riders?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    I have a Norco FS bike and really like it.

A lot of bikes that are well thought of at that price point are:

Voodoo
    Boardman
    Vitus

A lot of 2018 bikes are going on sale at this time of year, so deals can de done on a lot of bikes.

Whatever you get at that price point you will really enjoy.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • Kirwan
    Thanks but those brands aren’t available in Evans. I really want to take advantage of the offer there.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Kirwan wrote:
    Thanks but those brands aren’t available in Evans. I really want to take advantage of the offer there.

So buy the Norco. Simples! :lol:
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    edited August 2018
    Don't know much about the Charger but rented a Fluid + (also available at Evans) in Canada for some riding and was very impressed. Capable bike, good geometry for both razzing downhill and chin on the stem climbing and was very composed being flicked through singletrack.

EDIT - I would add that the Charger is "old school" geometry with a steeper head tube angle. The Fluid is more up to date with a 67.5 deg head angle, little longer and slacker and more stable on the trail as a result.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Kirwan
    Don't know much about the Charger but rented a Fluid + (also available at Evans) in Canada for some riding and was very impressed. Capable bike, good geometry for both razzing downhill and chin on the stem climbing and was very composed being flicked through singletrack.

EDIT - I would add that the Charger is "old school" geometry with a steeper head tube angle. The Fluid is more up to date with a 67.5 deg head angle, little longer and slacker and more stable on the trail as a result.

Thanks for the info. I’m pretty sure talk of geometry is currently wasted on me but if and when I become a bit more experienced do you think Old School will matter to me?

I’d seen the slightly cheaper Fluid 3 but thought the Charger’s 29 wheels might be better for the non technical and mix of road I’ll be doing.
  • joebristol
    joebristol Posts: 327
    The charger does have quite old school geometry, but if you’re mainly using it for toe paths and fireroads that won’t matter at all. They 29er wheels will roll better over stuff and be easier for you. The Judy forks look a lot nicer with the black stanchions than the forks on the fluid with silver ones.

That said, it you think you may start doing trail centres / proper off road stuff the fluid has better geometry that’ll feel more stable at speed on bumps - without being silly low / long / slack.
  • Kirwan
    Cheers - I think I’ll always need a general purpose bike (this one might get used for riding to work now and again) and can’t see me hitting trails - can always review my bike requirements again if and when I do. I don’t usually need much of an excuse to buy new toys!

Thanks
  • BillyCool wrote:
    Kirwan wrote:

So buy the Norco. Simples! :lol:

I did - and I’m very happy with it although I must admit that when in the shop my eye was on a matt black pinnacle. Similarly spec’d but slightly more expensive. Only 27.5 though so the Norco won.

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-ir ... e-EV306259