Mavic OP UST

bmxboy10
bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
edited August 2018 in Road buying advice
Sorry if I missed this if it’s been covered before but are the Mavis Open Pro UST Tim’s compatible with standard tyres?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    LOL at Mavis and Tim :D
  • bmxboy10
    keef66 wrote:
    LOL at Mavis and Tim :D
    Sorry on holiday on the balcony had a few beers lol!
  • bmxboy10
    solboy10 wrote:
    Sorry if I missed this if it’s been covered before but are the Mavic Open Pro UST Rims compatible with standard tyres?
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 288
    solboy10 wrote:
    solboy10 wrote:
    Sorry if I missed this if it’s been covered before but are the Mavic Open Pro UST Rims compatible with standard tyres?

Yes you can use clinchers no problem
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    jdee84 wrote:
    solboy10 wrote:
    solboy10 wrote:

You can but why would you.....

It’s a nice rim, I’ve had a pair made up. Liking a lot
  • jdee84
    Stueys wrote:
    jdee84 wrote:
    solboy10 wrote:
    solboy10 wrote:

He was asking if it was possible not if he should
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Some tubed tyres are a tight fit though.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • stueys
    jdee84 wrote:
    Stueys wrote:
    jdee84 wrote:
    solboy10 wrote:
    solboy10 wrote:

I know, note the ‘you can’ opening part of my sentence
  • jdee84
    I had continental grand prix on them no trouble fitting them or removing and refitting when dealing with a puncture last autumn/winter.

Switched to the previous gen Hutchinson fusion all season tubeless ready they didn't go on quite as easy but then I didn't have to remove them after that.
  • bmxboy10
    Stueys wrote:
    jdee84 wrote:
    Stueys wrote:
    jdee84 wrote:
    solboy10 wrote:
    solboy10 wrote:

Main reasons for asking is I don’t like Mavic Tyres and think tubeless can be a faff.

Also they are very cheap for some reason at the moment so look good value assuming you can run them tubed or tubeless.
  • stueys
    solboy10 wrote:
    Stueys wrote:
    jdee84 wrote:
    Stueys wrote:
    jdee84 wrote:
    solboy10 wrote:
    solboy10 wrote:

Main reasons for asking is I don’t like Mavic Tyres and think tubeless can be a faff.

Also they are very cheap for some reason at the moment so look good value assuming you can run them tubed or tubeless.

Mavic tyres used to be naff I agree but the newer ust pro one is made by Hutchinson and seems to be pretty good. Don’t get the non-pro one though. But you’ve got options, it’s a nice rim.
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    They work fine with tubes as I just built a pair up with Dura Ace track hubs and rode them with tyres/tubes today. They're good value at the minute as I picked up a pair from CR for £70 or so and the hubs from Merlin for a bargain price of £144 the pair. Ordered some Mavic UST tyres from Tredz as I get a decent discount from them and they were only £70 a pair, despatched in 2-3 days. Wish I'd just used cycleclinic for some tyres (ordered tape & valves from him) as I get an email today stating Tredz are aiming for a 20th August despatch! Not sure I'll use them again.
    Put some 32c tyres on and they went on ok but were a little tough coming off as I decided on a pair 28c's due to wanting my mudguards back on due to the rain, but as soon as I cracked the bead into the middle they came off easy.