6800 Shifter - Identify this part

-Dash
-Dash Posts: 179
edited August 2018 in Workshop
So I had an issue with my brake lever not releasing. It turns out this little part was swimming around inside and preventing it from closing... question is what is it and where did it come from exactly?

It appears to have half a plastic screw inside it. I initially thought it accompanied the lever reach adjustment but I've compared with another shifter and there is no part there.

RqIXEc5.jpg

vsjxbni.jpg

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Looking at the exploded diagram on Shimano Tech Docs the only part I can see resembling that is part of the clamp that secures the shifter to the bars. But that wouldn't have a plastic screw in it. And I think you'd soon find out if the shifter was no longer attached...
  • -Dash
    keef66 wrote:
    Looking at the exploded diagram on Shimano Tech Docs the only part I can see resembling that is part of the clamp that secures the shifter to the bars. But that wouldn't have a plastic screw in it. And I think you'd soon find out if the shifter was no longer attached...

Heh. Yep! I've not ridden the bike since finding this part but in the stand at least everything felt secure, it brakes, shifts fine etc.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    when i used to repair aircraft i always used to find bits extra. My advice was give it a shake and crack on
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    when i used to repair aircraft i always used to find bits extra. My advice was give it a shake and crack on

:shock:

Aeroflot? Ryanair?
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    keef66 wrote:

:shock:

Aeroflot? Ryanair?

Looking back, it may be that i wasn't best suited to the career choice id made :)
  • -Dash
    I have a snapped shifter in my collection. I had a close look at both pieces and spotted the part that came loose and ended up preventing me from releasing the brake lever...

It appears to secure a barrel of some form that is in the half of the shifter that does not pivot. I removed the same bolt with a spanner from the broken shifter and the pieces appear identical. I think I was wrong on it being a plastic screw. It's a metal screw that has sheared off. Now... I'm unsure how vital this part is. It looks like the barrel would still be somewhat secured by a thin ring of metal that is held in place by a small screw into the plastic.

This is the half of the shifter where the piece is. You can spot it in the centre. The separate piece is just that fell out of my 'working' shifter.
    hnkiAgc.jpg
    awkHlpi.jpg

The bolt sits on top of this thin metal ring and the round pieces of plastic below that.
    2wyEkQC.jpg

Removing the bolt and thin metal ring allows the cylindrical plastic pieces to be removed.
    bqBHKnp.jpg

FWIW I rode the bike today and it seemed to shift and brake fine. I'm not optimistic on the life left in the shifter though!

This does not appear to be a part that could be easily replaced without breaking the shifter into two.