Adrien Costa

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited October 2018 in Pro race
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    I don't understand the healthcare in US. Does he stay in a hospital bed (at $Xxx / day) while his leg goes gangrenous until he raises the 100K to have it amputated? Or do they operate and he writes out an IOU?
  • iainf72
    In a case like Costas, you will be treated and they'll expect you to pay.

Hospitals take fairly big losses where people can't afford to pay.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    iainf72 wrote:

Hospitals make smaller profits when people can’t afford to pay
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:

Hospitals make smaller profits when people can’t afford to pay

It's one of those baffling things with the US healthcare. Your right wing / libertarian people must know doctors *will* treat people, and someone has to pay for it. So they're just expecting the commercial entities to suck up the cost.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    The US spends a higher % of GDP on healthcare than any other developed country and has worse health outcomes than the UK.

System is totally farked. And to think certain people want to do the same here.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,385
    Is he American or was he travelling there with no insurance?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,585
    iainf72 wrote:

Can vouch for a type two fracture in the elbow, they won't treat you till you have some evidence of insurance.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    ddraver wrote:
    Is he American or was he travelling there with no insurance?
    He's American. I think one of his parents is French.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    iainf72 wrote:

Can vouch for a type two fracture in the elbow, they won't treat you till you have some evidence of insurance.
    I'm sure they will if it's life threatening.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    US the coountry where they have turned being ill into a business.. just see all the adverts for medicines on TV. As there are big pharmaceuticals behind it now they wont want to upset anyone and so no real urge to change to a different model
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    sherer wrote:
    US the coountry where they have turned being ill into a business.. just see all the adverts for medicines on TV. As there are big pharmaceuticals behind it now they wont want to upset anyone and so no real urge to change to a different model
    Being ill is a business - just depends who pays for it ...

I'm quite happy with the current UK model - everyone pays into it, ill or not - depending on how much they can afford. When you need it, it's there. Where it falls down is that there's not always enough resources in the right place for the treatment/services needed.

I think I pay in more than I get out atm...
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    everyone benefits from a system that is able to treat most things most of the time - free immunisation has a massive impact on general health & wellbeing, and means public resources aren't spent fighting outbreaks of preventable diseases. etc. Also where people are able to get treatment for injuries / accident or illness and back to work / independence ASAP there's a general economic benefit.

I'm sure I saw a figure a few years ago comparing what % of money spent / funding that went on healthcare actually hit front line care. In the UK it was something like 80+%, in the US about 50%. With an insurance based system there is so much admin & process that costs time & money it's a very inefficient approach.

Also, people calling for US style 'insurance' over here seem to think it'll cost them about £500 a year like their BUPA membership. A brit I knew in the US was paying $1000 a month to cover himself, wife & 2 kids, and even then you've got 'deductibles' (like an insurance excess) of about $4000 for various things.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558
    Poor guy! Shame as he showed real potential on the bike, even if his head wasn't fully in it. He was on a 'find himself and figure out if he really wanted to be a pro' gap year, non?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    Horrible for him.

Our healthcare model is broken, much as the US system never worked to start with.
    I only hear "hands off the NHS" types saying anyone wants a system similar to the US one. A system more on the lines of the French system is the sort of semi-privatisation people are suggesting. The cost of the bureaucracy in the NHS, and the waste is mind boggling. None of that is to denegrade the efforts of the front line staff though.

It might also help if we weren't so ignorant regarding our health in this country, and didn't go running off to A&E at every opportunity, or call out ambulances when you could easily make your own way to see a medical practitioner etc, etc
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Dorset Boy wrote:

It might also help if we weren't so ignorant regarding our health in this country, and didn't go running off to A&E at every opportunity, or call out ambulances when you could easily make your own way to see a medical practitioner etc, etc

This^
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Horrible for him.

Our healthcare model is broken, much as the US system never worked to start with.
    I only hear "hands off the NHS" types saying anyone wants a system similar to the US one. A system more on the lines of the French system is the sort of semi-privatisation people are suggesting. The cost of the bureaucracy in the NHS, and the waste is mind boggling. None of that is to denegrade the efforts of the front line staff though.

Or you could argue that the model is robust seeing as it’s lasted this long, despite the repeated mismanagement and political ill will towards it for much of its life.
  • ocdupalais
    Awful news about Costa, more importantly. What horrific circumstances...
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Timoid. wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:

This^

Yes - that's all well and good - except when you can't get to see a doctor in a reasonable timescale - or one that takes your symptoms seriously.
  • iainf72
    Noticed earlier Romain Bardet donated $1000

/doffs cap
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Slowbike wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:

This^

Yes - that's all well and good - except when you can't get to see a doctor in a reasonable timescale - or one that takes your symptoms seriously.

That's the point. If there weren't so many time wasters, the doctors would have free appointments and wouldn't be so jaundiced. My sister (who's a GP) daily lament is that she'd like to see some actual sick people for a change.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • iainf72 wrote:

/doffs cap

And LA donated 10k. He might be a monumental dick, but that’s very bloody generous.

What a terrible thing to read about. All the best to him.
  • iainf72
  • ocdupalais
    Yeah - quite possibly the most moving and inspiring thing I’ve seen in ages.
    My reinforced and leathery cynicism isn’t good for much, but when a story like this penetrates it... :shock:
  • RichN95.
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Yeah - quite possibly the most moving and inspiring thing I’ve seen in ages.
    My reinforced and leathery cynicism isn’t good for much, but when a story like this penetrates it... :shock:
    You should read about Billy Monger (not a cyclist, a racing driver) - he's just as inspiring, maybe more so
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,385
    Would also like to direct OCU's cynicism to Kristina Vogel's twitter feed which is similar right now.

And also contend that no HE has something in his eye

:cry:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    iainf72 wrote:

/doffs cap

And Lance Armstrong donated $10000.

Edit: too slow, already reported.