new winter endurance bike

bonk_king
bonk_king Posts: 277
edited August 2018 in Road buying advice
I'm on the verge of getting my next bike but the one at the top of my list, the roubais, dosen't seem to have mudguard eyelets. Mudguards are a top priority, as well as a more comfy geometry for long hours during the inclement weather soon to be upon us. Another bike I came across was the focus paralane. This seems to tick all the boxes. Endurance, supplied with mudguards, ultegra, even comes in my preferred colour of black. Reviews are fantastic, some even said it was close to the roubais for ride comfort, and the price, around £2500 is in my price range. Am I missing any other similar or even better bikes for that price point or is the focus really that good.

Comments

• joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Fairlight Strael if you fancy the comfort of a steel bike, the Ultegra one comes just nicely under your budget. They'll also build one up using your measurements to ensure it's the right size:

https://fairlightcycles.com/strael/stra ... cba1185463

Otherwise the 105 or Rival builds of the Mason Definition are just over your budget:

https://masoncycles.cc/shop/categories/definition-bikes
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    The 2019 Giant Defy has clearances and mountings for mudguards, if you can live with the hideous stem/spacer arrangement and truncated handlebar.
  • bonk king wrote:
    Mudguards are a top priority, as well as a more comfy geometry for long hours during the inclement weather soon to be upon us.

This may come as a surprise, but most cyclists cycle less during inclement weather and in winter
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • bonk_king
    bonk king wrote:
    Mudguards are a top priority, as well as a more comfy geometry for long hours during the inclement weather soon to be upon us.

This may come as a surprise, but most cyclists cycle less during inclement weather and in winter[/quote)

Cycle less yes, not necessarily stop altogether. Do you have a winter bike?
  • Five Triban 520s, one for each winter training day per week.;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    In winter hydraulic disc brakes and the ability to fit larger tyres were benefits for my riding. I am very tall and 100kg so not a light weight racing snake.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Have a look at the cervelo c3, They cover all your requirements you should be able to get one within your budget
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    I had the same requirements last year and ended up going for a Whyte Wessex. Very happy with it so far.
  • Put Genesis Datum on the research list too.

https://www.wheelbase.co.uk/product/bik ... isdatum30/
  • You’re going to spend £2500 on a winter bike?

I’m not one to shun an expensive bike (I’ve got many) but the point of a winter bike is not riding about on something fancy, it’s about riding a bike in the worst of the weather, built up with bits that can be ridden to destruction if required. It’s where chains and cassettes go to die.

Hang on…have I just been duped by an MF/SS trollterego?
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    You’re going to spend £2500 on a winter bike?

I’m not one to shun an expensive bike (I’ve got many) but the point of a winter bike is not riding about on something fancy, it’s about riding a bike in the worst of the weather, built up with bits that can be ridden to destruction if required. It’s where chains and cassettes go to die.

Hang on…have I just been duped by an MF/SS trollterego?

IMO you're 100% right. Frankly anything more than 105 seems completely frivolous on a winter bike, hell Sora or Tiagra would do a grand job.

Likewise with wheels, winter kills them so anything more than cheap, durable alloy wheels is just throwing money away.

Winter isn't when you smash out your Strava PR's, it's just about doing the miles so that you smash them in the spring/summer.
  • spatt77
    spatt77 Posts: 324
    Hi, I`ve got a BMC Roadmachine as a winter bike, meets all your requirements and is a great all round bike, if you dont fancy that then i would go for a Mason Resolution!
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    That's a lot of winter bike. I prefer to go cheaper as you are more likely to have the bike sliding along the ground in the winter. Rain, mud, ice, snow. No need to spend thousands.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Kinesis 4S disc, or there's a Ti GTD if you want to push the boat out, or as already suggested the Genesis Datum?

I'd have one of the Mason bikes if I suddenly came into a little windfall.
  • This Bowman frame looks decent too:

https://bowman-cycles.com/products/pilgrims-disc
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Trek Domane ticks all the boxes. Comfortable, mudguard mounts, discs.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • bonk_king
    Thanks for all the replies and reccommendations guys. Here's the thing with this new bike. Once I get used to the lovely new comfy ride, which will probably be like riding on an armchair compared to my current high pressured 23mm skinny tyres on my scott racer, then I have no doubt in my mind that this new bike may very well become my number one bike. I know what i'm like. That is why I don't mind spending the amount I am doing. If I knew for a fact it was going to be an out and out winter bike i'd just get the triban 520 that nitrous oxide mentioned and save a load of cash.

At the moment i'm pretty much hooked on the cervelo C3 which Lincoln dave mentioned, a stunning bike which ticks all the boxes. The mason range is also top quality but out of range financially. I'm going to look at some other recommendations later before making a choice. Thanks again for the replies.
  • Condor Fratello, maybe?
    Or Kinesis 4S?

I think that's where I would be looking...
  • ovi
    ovi Posts: 396
    Giant contend so disc, Scott speedster disc, Cannondale synapse, trek madone, Fuji sportif, Kinesis endurance disc, are good winter bike options with mudguard mounts