Which bike to buy for £5k?

finknottle
finknottle Posts: 177
edited September 2018 in Road buying advice
After some recommendations please… I am looking to buy a new road bike and would be grateful for any suggestions on what models I should consider. I am a recreational 43-year-old rider so comfort is more important than speed. Weekend rides would normally be 50+ miles on the pothole roads of Surrey and most holidays involve taking my bike to do upto 100 mile rides. I particularly like cycling up big mountains in the Alps so something lightweight would be a bonus.

My only "must have" is Di2. I have it on my current bike and wouldn't go back to mechanical. I think I want Disc brakes but have not ruled out rim brakes. The ability to run tyres wide enough for towpaths and light trails would be a bonus (I believe the Cervelo C5 can take 32mm).

I would prefer to be able to buy from a LBS rather than an online retailer and have a budget of £5k. Although I would prefer to spend less and have some money left over for a 2nd wheelset, ie -1 decent wheelset and 1 training wheelset.

Currently looking at:
Cervelo C5.
Specialized Roubaix.
Cannondale Synapse.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    What bike do you have now ? What do you like or dislike about it ?

Also isn't it a bit backwards to spec the price first and work back ? Plenty of bikes suitable with di2 way cheaper than five grand.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Custom steel.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/pro ... c-9.4.html

Di2 - half your budget so you can get a new set of wheels too. It'll take up to 28mm tyres too which should be fine for towpaths ?
  • finknottle
    cougie wrote:
    What bike do you have now ? What do you like or dislike about it ?

Also isn't it a bit backwards to spec the price first and work back ? Plenty of bikes suitable with di2 way cheaper than five grand.

Currently have a 2013 Focus Cayo 2.0. I like the handling and speed but would prefer something a bit more comfortable if possible and the ability to have disc brakes and wider tyres. Happy to spend less if possible but £5k is what I have saved up and assumed my budget was a fairly crucial factor. It's a maximum amount not a must spend amount.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    Di2, 32mm tyres and discs aren’t going to make a particularly light bike. Anyway, I’d wait until the 2019 bikes are out and the 2018 ones are on sale. I bought my Foil as a previous years model for £3k when the RRP was £6k.
  • paulwood
    paulwood Posts: 231
    https://www.wyndymilla.com

made to measure and local.

nice people too
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Colnago c60. Maybe a very cheap C64 build using what you have on your current bike.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited August 2018
    Colnago c60. Maybe a very cheap C64 build using what you have on your current bike.

Note he said ability to run something like 32mm tyres for trails and towpaths so the C60 is definitely out, I'd assume the C64 too.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Ah sorry. Maybe the disc versions? Go used!
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Enigma Escape. Ti loveliness with all the attributes you have asked for.
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    I have been looking into a new bike recently, set myself a 5k limit although I'm not sure I can really spend that much in reality, but that said...

Canyon Endurace CF SLX Frameset £2350 (more relaxed geometry compared to the ultimate and 33mm tyre clearance)
    SRAM red Etap HRD groupset (inc Chainset) £1580
    and any disc wheelset ~ £1000
  • Have you considered a 3t Exploro (Team)?

Light, aero, absolute do it all bike by all accounts!

https://www.merlincycles.com/3t-exploro ... 06328.html
  • finknottle
    Thanks all for the suggestions. Lots of food and thought and some great ideas. Love the look of the Wyndymillas!

I had hoped to get a a 2018 bargain in the sale (hence why i'm looking now) but a lot of the 2018 models are sold out in my size already. The Specialized Roubaix and Cannondale Synapse are available and already 20% off at Sigma, which is why they were on my watchlist.
  • I can't recommend a specific bike but you can search using your own criteria using one of the FFT (fastfitnesstips) databases of road bikes specs: https://goo.gl/iDX145 . That one is disc brake bikes, they probably have others but thats the only link I have.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Similar age and similar rides on the same roads as you.

I have a Canyon Endurace SLX8Di2. Seems to be everything you ask for. Lightweight, Di2 Discs.

Price has gone up a chunk since I bought mine but still comes in comfortably below your limit. Okay it's not from an LBS as you want but you'd not have to buy an upgraded wheelset.

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/endur ... 0-di2.html
  • Finknottle wrote:
    Thanks all for the suggestions. Lots of food and thought and some great ideas. Love the look of the Wyndymillas!

I had hoped to get a a 2018 bargain in the sale (hence why i'm looking now) but a lot of the 2018 models are sold out in my size already. The Specialized Roubaix and Cannondale Synapse are available and already 20% off at Sigma, which is why they were on my watchlist.

I hired a Synapse Disc di2 in Mallorca this year for a week and found it to be a very good all round bike. The stock wheels being perhaps the only part I’d want to upgrade to save a bit of weight. The comfort was comparable to my usual steel ride and my first use of discs on a road bike was reassuring when the rain came down one day and all my carbon wheel, rim brake using companions had issues.

If they’re 20% off at Sigma, who are a great shop if local to you, that would go to top of my list.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    I have several bikes you are more than welcome to buy for £5k ;)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • finknottle
    atomixers wrote:
    Finknottle wrote:

I hired a Synapse Disc di2 in Mallorca this year for a week and found it to be a very good all round bike. The stock wheels being perhaps the only part I’d want to upgrade to save a bit of weight. The comfort was comparable to my usual steel ride and my first use of discs on a road bike was reassuring when the rain came down one day and all my carbon wheel, rim brake using companions had issues.

If they’re 20% off at Sigma, who are a great shop if local to you, that would go to top of my list.

Thanks for that. Sigma is my preferred LBS as they are local and i've bought from them before and been impressed with the service. The stock wheels on the Synapse are surprisingly poor but would be fine for winter training and the 20% off price for the Di2 model is £3,039 so plenty of spare cash for a decent 2nd wheelset. They also have the eTap model for £3,999 which has a much better wheelset.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I could tell the op which bike i like as other have. buy the one fits of course. let spec dictate price rather than a price dicate spec. that way you could spend less and get more.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Livewire
    Livewire Posts: 91
    How about a Giant Defy Advanced SL? The ISP may put you off but apart from that the bike may fit your requirements perfectly.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Are those windy milla just carbon frames from china same as PX but with nicer paint finish?
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Moonbiker wrote:
    Are those windy milla just carbon frames from china same as PX but with nicer paint finish?

No. Custom made in Venice, Italy. By Sarto, I would guess.
  • finknottle
    Moonbiker wrote:

No. They're custom built in Italy.
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    atomixers wrote:
    I hired a Synapse Disc di2 in Mallorca this year for a week and found it to be a very good all round bike

Do you recall how much that cost you?
  • rdt wrote:
    atomixers wrote:
    I hired a Synapse Disc di2 in Mallorca this year for a week and found it to be a very good all round bike

Hired from https://www.mallorcabikehire.com/at a cost of about £180 for 7 days. Highly recommend both bike and company. They delivered to my lodgings in Puerto Pollensa whilst my club mates had to schlep into town to collect theirs from their hire company.

Will very likely be doing the same next year.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Synapse Hi-Mod
    Roubaix Expert Di2
    Diverge Expert X1

Some really good deals out there at present.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    atomixers wrote:
    rdt wrote:
    atomixers wrote:

Hired from https://www.mallorcabikehire.com/at a cost of about £180 for 7 days. Highly recommend both bike and company. They delivered to my lodgings in Puerto Pollensa whilst my club mates had to schlep into town to collect theirs from their hire company.

The outfit I'd used previously are no longer around, so thanks for that - filed away!

Another question if you'll indulge me: where have you stayed and what is bike security like there? I ask because our usual is fantastically located for the non-bike stuff (eg. Pine Walk swimming for my partner) but is iffy for bikes, as there's nowhere to store decent ones other than your own room, which is frowned upon and involves standing the bike on end in a teeny tiny lift...

[sorry for the temporary thread hikack! :oops: ]
  • poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    Agree with Malcolm about fit first.

BUT if it fits... I've always wanted one of these:

https://masoncycles.cc/shop/categories/resolution-bikes

Ultegra Di2 in budget so you can get your wheels, eTap and DA Di2 just over...
  • Take a trip down the M23 and have a look at Enigma, Mason and Reilly (Mark Reilly - ex head designer/frame builder at Enigma).
    Hunt wheels are nearby too, so you could pick up a couple of sets...

Enigma currently have a few ex demo bikes for sale. Although they don't have DI2 on any of them, I'm sure it could be fitted and the other groupset sold on...
  • rdt wrote:
    atomixers wrote:
    rdt wrote:
    atomixers wrote:

The outfit I'd used previously are no longer around, so thanks for that - filed away!

Another question if you'll indulge me: where have you stayed and what is bike security like there? I ask because our usual is fantastically located for the non-bike stuff (eg. Pine Walk swimming for my partner) but is iffy for bikes, as there's nowhere to store decent ones other than your own room, which is frowned upon and involves standing the bike on end in a teeny tiny lift...

[sorry for the temporary thread hikack! :oops: ]

Sent you a PM.