Prime Black Edition

Shaun67
Shaun67 Posts: 219
edited February 2019 in Road buying advice
Looking for a new set of carbon wheels and I quite like the look of Prime's Black Edition from Wiggle. Anyone have them on here and if so what's your thoughts ? or would I be better with a set of Fulcrum Racing Quattro Carbon ?

Comments

• I haven't got the black editions but have been impressed with the lesser RR-38's that I picked up in the sale. Four months in they have stood up as expected and still running true. I'm a heavy rider at 100kg and they haven't groaned once. In my opinion can't argue with the value.
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    I recently purchased a set of Fulcrum Racing Quattro’s, but the disc version for my CX bike. I haven’t given the wheels enough mileage yet to give balanced opinion but so far they are very good. They take a wide range of tyre widths, anything upto 50mm, well that’s what Fulcrum told me which is something I was looking for. My only criticism is, and it’s only a small one is some of the graphics on the wheels are cheap and tacky, they haven’t even been applied straight. As for value, are they worth the £800 price tag ??? Sorry I can’t comment on the Prime Black Edition but they don’t look bad value for money.
  • vegas76
    vegas76 Posts: 278
    It appears that the black edition is pretty much identical to the non-black RP edition other than it is black and significantly more expensive?
  • Mapaputsi
    Mapaputsi Posts: 104
    I picked up the V2 RR-38s two weeks ago and they are excellent, not sure where the £400 extra comes from for the Black Edition? If I was you I’d go for the V2 one – you won’t be disappointed.
  • ds2288
    ds2288 Posts: 36
    Vegas76 wrote:
    It appears that the black edition is pretty much identical to the non-black RP edition other than it is black and significantly more expensive?

Black editions have a wider rim profile. 27.5 outer and 19mm inner. Much more in line with the current competition. Probably a tad overpriced right now.
  • For less money I'd buy the standard prime rims, decent hubs such as Dura Ace and get someone to build the wheels for you. You'd still come in well under £1K and have a better quality wheelset. Plus the rims and hubs are still warrantied if that concerns you at all.
  • vegas76
    ds2288 wrote:
    Vegas76 wrote:

Black editions have a wider rim profile. 27.5 outer and 19mm inner. Much more in line with the current competition. Probably a tad overpriced right now.

They definitely aren't a budget conscious option any more at those prices!
  • rokt
    Checkout the the lastest edition of Cyclist magazine. 10 of the best high-end Wheelsets doing the rounds and the Prime’s are one of them !
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    I wonder how much Wiggle/Chain Reaction paid for that review?
  • rokt
    You can bet it didn’t come cheap. I must admit I was a little surprised to see them there !
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Rokt wrote:
    You can bet it didn’t come cheap. I must admit I was a little surprised to see them there !

Yes, Cyclist is unapologetic about reviewing and featuring high end stuff almost exclusively so a Wiggle own brand in there is a bit odd. I did subscribe for a while but found it a bit elitist.
  • For less money I'd buy the standard prime rims, decent hubs such as Dura Ace and get someone to build the wheels for you. You'd still come in well under £1K and have a better quality wheelset. Plus the rims and hubs are still warrantied if that concerns you at all.

Do you know what the warranty is?

Also would buy BlackEdition if rim only at sensible price
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    It does say "Promotion" at the top of every page in that section - it's just an advert rather than anyone's top picks.
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    edited August 2018
    "Disclosure statement: Wiggle and Chain Reaction Cycles are long time supporters of CyclingTips." At least they are good enough to come clean :)
  • vegas76
    I've just got me some Prime RP38s and I'm very happy, initial thoughts are that they are a huge improvement over the stock wheels on my giant tcr advanced disc.
  • I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • No sure if this is a mis-price but look a bargain
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/prim ... prod166557

£454 with BC discount.
    Latest Prime carbon rims: Rim Width: 19mm (internal) 27.5mm (external) Rim Depth 38mm
    Tubeless, Weight:Pair 1429g
  • mf51y
    mf51y Posts: 16
    Got the rr50 disc gr8 wheel...wait 6 months will be half price.
  • mf51y wrote:
    Got the rr50 disc gr8 wheel...wait 6 months will be half price.

Do you really think they will be £227 in 6 months time?
  • mf51y
    No soz misread...skimmed thread they were for sale at rrp - 5% a while ago. Now there is a good saving. I rang Primewheels direct for a chat about their rr and rp range, spoke to a really helpful guy who new his stuff and can honestly say the rr50 disc wheelset I've got is gr8.
  • mf51y wrote:
    No soz misread...skimmed thread they were for sale at rrp - 5% a while ago. Now there is a good saving. I rang Primewheels direct for a chat about their rr and rp range, spoke to a really helpful guy who new his stuff and can honestly say the rr50 disc wheelset I've got is gr8.

Much diffence between the rr and rp versions? I bought some rp hubs for a build and whilst heavy they seem very solid and robust. Steel freehub too so no damage when fitting the cassette. You don't notice the weight when using lightish rims.
  • mf51y
    The rr are fine unless ur looking for seconds rp slightly better hubs.
  • CRC now selling BlackEdition rim only, probably worthwhile when they drop 50%
  • Hi. Having ridden the Fulcrums for the last two seasons my honest opinion is once up to speed they are a decent wheel set. Imo the wheels take a while to reach optimum speed but once up to speed they are ok. They appear to be lacking on the climbs i feel. I have not had any issues with durability they are pretty bombproof. Are they worth the price tag ? not sure, probably better hoops out there for the price. Thats my two pence worth. Cannot comment on the Prime wheel set.
  • vegas76
    I've got a set of Prime RP38 wheels for my Giant tcr advanced 1 disc. The transformation of the bike has been incredible! The bike really does feel sooo much faster now and appears to pick up and hold speed much faster.

I'm quite surprised at what a difference its made!
  • To resurrect this thread I see the 50mm disc black editions are now down to 699, which seems incredible for the price. Any reason why I shouldn’t try these on my Domane?