Recommend me some bibshorts

joey54321
joey54321 Posts: 1,297
edited August 2018 in Road buying advice
I have been on the hunt to replace my aging bibshort collection for a little while but haven't found anything I like yet.

My requirements are:
- All black (or at least mostly)
- 'Nice' leg grippers
- £70-£90
- Consistent design that I will be able to buy more of the same in a year or two (I'm looking at your DHB, every time I go back to buy the same shorts they've 'revamped' their range :evil: My current shorts, which are becoming more see through by the day are the DHB Black ASV Race edition).
- Must be sized correctly for my...er...' well-developed glutes'. I'm not particularly heavy, 78kg @ 5ft 11 but I seem to have a problem with some shorts that are labeled as 'racing'/performance' being too tight unless I size up too much that they fit all wrong elsewhere.

I am aware the price is at the cross over between high-end shorts from budget brands or low end shorts from high end brands. Has anyone got some good recommendations?

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    La Passione have a sale on - that's where I would be heading.

https://www.lapassione.cc/collections/sale-time/products_bib-shorts

IMHO, 99% as good as Rapha shorts, and I don't mean Core ones.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Or good old DHB from Wiggle.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Lusso.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Daniel B wrote:

Ooooh - top work that man.

Their short sleeved tops: what are they like? I'm after a black aero 3/4 sleeve job and they have near as dammit close enough, just wondering about sizing, quality, etc.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • daniel_b
    Daniel B wrote:

Ooooh - top work that man.

Their short sleeved tops: what are they like? I'm after a black aero 3/4 sleeve job and they have near as dammit close enough, just wondering about sizing, quality, etc.

Quality is right up there imho, only slight downside is the £100 minimum order for free delivery.

Unfortunately the jerseys do not fit me anymore, since I lost a couple of stone, but I would say fitwise they are on a par with Castelli, that also do not fit me anymore :(
    Would say they are designed for those who have a bit of a chest - I currently have a climbers physique, so incompatible!

I gather they are pretty responsive with sizing queries, so could be worth dropping them a line directly.

Also check out the garment reviews, they are generally pretty glowing, and most will give some mention as to sizing etc.

Only negatives I would say, is that I had to chase once for a refund - they had the items, but were just sitting on them - figuratively I assume!
    If you opt for free postage, it sometimes, or at least used to, take a while to ship - once shipped it is pretty fast though, they use one of the reputable couriers, UPS perhaps, and you can track it on it's journey.
    They do offer free returns I think, but on the time I took advantage and returned a couple of items, they then took off what the postage would have cost me, as the final order was then below £100 - mildly annoying, but did not quibble it at the time.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • joey54321
    Daniel B wrote:

Excellent! Just ordered some Mediums (my usual size in DHB) and Large (Castelli) so fingers crossed one of those fits!
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,501
    joey54321 wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

Excellent! Just ordered some Mediums (my usual size in DHB) and Large (Castelli) so fingers crossed one of those fits!

I bet the Castelli ones are too small! Ordered large myself last week and had to change for XXL when they arrived - the Large were tiny!
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • joey54321
    laurentian wrote:

I bet the Castelli ones are too small! Ordered large myself last week and had to change for XXL when they arrived - the Large were tiny!

I think you misunderstood, I have order la passione in M and a L which matches my usual sizing for DHB and Castelli. I haven't ordered any Castelli shorts.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've got some La Passione which luckily fit me well. The delivery / returns charges put me off ordering anything more from them though.

My other pair are the cheapest Assos bibs (Neo Pro?) from their outlet store.

Rapha were having a sale a few weeks ago. I pointed my son in their direction and he got a pair of their Pro Team bibs for £90 I think. Reckons they're the dog's danglies
  • joey54321
    keef66 wrote:
    I've got some La Passione which luckily fit me well. The delivery / returns charges put me off ordering anything more from them though.

My other pair are the cheapest Assos bibs (Neo Pro?) from their outlet store.

Rapha were having a sale a few weeks ago. I pointed my son in their direction and he got a pair of their Pro Team bibs for £90 I think. Reckons they're the dog's danglies

I also got (several) pairs of the Pro Team shorts for £70, it was such a good deal I ordered 3 medium and 3 large. However, I found the fit terrible and the one set that I wore a few times had a thread loose on it after ~5 washes. I sent them all back to get a refund for the one I didn't wear and hopefully a refund/fix for the pair that I did. I would have been horrified with them if I had paid the full ~£180 or whatever it is RRP.
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    A big shout out for Galibier.
    Their offerings are just getting better every year, and prices are very reasonable.

They seem to fly somewhat under the radar which is strange considering the quality of their gear.
    Customer service is also excellent and usually next day delivery - hard to fault.

I seem to be accumulating more and more of their gear in my collection as the years progress.
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    Also a big thumbs up for Sport Pursuit's Rivelo Honister bib shorts - I've 3 pairs now and for the money, they are hard to beat.

I mention them particularly as I'm roughly the same size/weight as yourself and find them to measure up perfectly, and the leg grippers are very good indeed.
  • daniel_b
    A huge amount of it depends on bodyshape and dimensions.

Mavic used to fit me, when I first started, but not anymore!

I have also never gotten on with Assos, as amazing as they are meant to be, and I can see and feel the quality, the cut and the pad shape just doesn't mesh with me.

Ordered the Rivelo's, and Chapeau shorts, and Pactimo, and all were fine, but not quite right for me.

I have Galibier mitts which aren't very comfy sadly, but also a foul weather gilet, and just ordered the same in jacket form (As you are a previous customer I sare say you may have just had an e-mail about it too) and those items are stonking.
    Also have some of their base layers, ss and ls, and they are top drawer.
    One pair of shorts I bought from them a while back in small is ok, the pad is still fairly good, think it was circa £50, but that has some thread coming loose, and is just for turbo duties now.
    Another pair I bought more recently, and I had to go to a medium, they are that small - the pad is awesome though, as is the whole fit, and they are the most flattering shorts I own, as the front really holds your tum in!

I do like their gear, but one problem I find as a repeat customer, is that for some items they don't seem to keep a model name - unless I am just neing innatentive.

The mistral and foul weather stuff seems to persevere, but I couldn't recall what the name of my good shorts are, and can't obviously see what ones they are, or even if they are still made - nothing there rings a bell.

Shorts will get replaced fairly regularly, where as jackets, save for accidents, are likely to go on and on.

I know that Endura FS260 narrow pad shorts fit me wonderfully, as do LP Small shorts, and Rapha Core\Pro team II\Lightweight bib shorts, so I wonder if they are losing some customers that way.

Agreed on the service, fast despatch etc etc though.

EDIT: these are the awesome Galibier shorts - for only £46! https://galibier.cc/product/classique/
    *It does mention Italian fit in there, I was 65kg when I ordered the small, and at 62 now, still have to wedge myself into the medium.
    What weight you would need to be to fit into an XS I can only imagine, 50kg perhaps?!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18