Starting Revolutions?

inkj
inkj Posts: 93
edited August 2018 in MTB general
No I’m not asking for you all to join me in over throwing the Government

I was just wondering

I’m about to get a bike. I haven’t ridden in years – so feel like a beginner. In the last three weeks I’ve done 10 – 12 gym sessions, where I’ve done 60 minutes [of hard, for me] cycling. Half of that I was doing watts of 175+ [in 5 minute segments] and the other half about 100-125 watts. All the while maintaining an RPM of 80 – 93

I will soon be going out into the real world, armed with a Garmin 1030

I won’t push myself to hit any numbers, but it would be good to know what is good practice, in terms of RPM. What I mean is, is 80 – 90 the area I should be at, when MTB? Then I can try and gear and pedal in a way that keeps that in mind. Obviously if I find it tough I won’t push it… I just want to know what might be normal.

As an idea, my first MTB ride is the 37 mile South Downs Link. So it is at the very easy end of MTB – as it is almost all flat.

I apologise for the beginner nature of my question. I did ride [for fun] years and years ago. But I never thought about cadence or anything like that.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Mountain bikers (unless presumably pro XC types) don't don't do watts etc.

Cadence, again, is more a roadie thing. Some like to spin in an easy gear (like me), some push in harder gears.

Most mountain biking is riding up hills, then going down, which might not need much pedalling at all.

I live on the Downslink, and it is mostly very flat. I would just cruise along and let your body decide on speed, cadence etc.

Keep it fun.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • inkj
    inkj Posts: 93
    Yeah you are correct.

I choose it - as my 'losing my virginity' ride [on the new bike] because it is mostly flat and [for MTB types] super easy

My plan was to have fun - and enjoy the 'country'

Maybe I lost sight of that a bit...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Inkj wrote:
    My plan was to have fun - and enjoy the 'country'
    Maybe I lost sight of that a bit...
    If you don't enjoy it you won't keep at it so that is definitely important. Some people enjoy stats and even put them onto spreadsheets, if that's you and it helps motivate you then go for it.
    There are a few pubs along the downs link so make sure you stay 'hydrated'.
  • When I’m out on my rides I use a basic Garmin which is linked to Strava, I like to achieve a minimum average speed of 10mph no matter how long/short or up/down the terrain is.
    As my fitness has increased I’m up to 11mph, not a big increase but going in the right direction.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,449
    Shortly after starting MTB, I bought a pulse monitor to see how hard I was working (for me). I did all the calcs and then went out for a ride. To keep my heart rate in the band for maximum fitness gain, I had to pedal too slowly and I got bored. So I ditched the monitor and did my usual "as fast as possible at all times"! I once tried to get my heart rate up to the maximum of 220-my age. I did it but I thought that if I kept it up I might actually die, so I slowed down. That was the last time I used the monitor, and now I can't even remember how to set it up. :lol: