Riding around Nice - Cote d'Azur

gsk82
gsk82 Posts: 3,470
I posted this elsewhere already so it may look familiar to some.

I fancy a change form the usual Majorca/ Calpe for spring 2019.

Has anyone got any experience of riding around Nice? I'm particularly concerned about finding somewhere that i can get out of on bike without fearing for my life, that's easily accessible from the airport with a bike box.

Any other tips will be appreciated.

Thanks
Gary
"Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago

Comments

• sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    i usually do this a bit later on in the year, but Menton is a great base. You can bus it or train it to the airport easy enough, although I didnt have a bike box with me. Col De la Madone and Turini are in that town and Col D'Eze is easy reach too. Drivers were fine with me while I was there too.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,934
    Nce has lots of cycle lanes and dedicated bike paths. It's not a bad city to stay in either, and plenty of taxi firms will take you from the airport to your accommodation with a bike box.

Head west for flat rides to Antibes & beyond, east along the coast to Monaco & Italy (San Remo), or north into the mountains to climbs like Col de Braus, Col de Turini, plus Col d'Eze direct from Nice, or LA's training climb Col de la Madone a little along the coast.

Cafe du Cycliste (based at the Port) have lots of route ideas on their website, and were friendly & helpful too, though bike hire is eye watering, but beautiful hand made carbon bikes with Sram Etape to hire!

I'd definitely go back.

Weather pretty good too being on the Med coast. Go for it IMHO.
  • inbike
    inbike Posts: 264
    Riding in the mountains North of Vence is much nicer than the riding immediately around Nice, because there is far less traffic. Eze and Monaco are accessible and fairly pretty from Nice but it doesn't even begin to compare to riding the Col De Bleine or the epic endless 30-50mph descent for miles through Greolieres and the Cascades du Saut du Loup.

There might be a bus to Vence or a village at the foot of the mountains from the airport which takes bike boxes, if so it would be no more inconvenient than getting into Central Nice.

Certainly if you are renting a car going north is the better option.